Author Topic: Help needed with William Wood  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Help needed with William Wood
« on: Wednesday 05 March 14 08:17 GMT (UK) »

I am having another go at trying to research William – he is a bit of a problem. William married Elizabeth Fletcher in 1839 Wolverhampton– his marriage details are on freereg

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/SearchResults.pl?RecordType=Marriages&RecordID=3584162

This record shows his father to be John Wood, occupation miner. William is on two census’ in 1841 he is living with his wife and daughter in Staffordshire –

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=uki1841%2c&pgt=punt&rank=1&gsfn=sarah&gsln=wood&gsby=1840&gsb2co=3251%2cEngland&gsb2pl=5284%2cStaffordshire&gsdy=&gsd2co=1%2cAll+Countries&gsd2pl=1%2c+&sbo=0&sbor=&ufr=0&wp=4%3b_80000002%3b_80000003&srchb=r&prox=1&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=13&h=9662228&recoff=6+7&ml_rpos=14

On the 1851 census he is still living in Staffordshire –

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&db=uki1851%2c&pgt=punt&rank=1&gsfn=sarah&gsln=wood&gsby=1840&gsb2co=3251%2cEngland&gsb2pl=5284%2cStaffordshire&gsdy=&gsd2co=1%2cAll+Countries&gsd2pl=1%2c+&sbo=0&sbor=&ufr=0&wp=4%3b_80000002%3b_80000003&srchb=r&prox=1&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gss=angs-d&pcat=35&fh=11&h=8566101&recoff=5+6&ml_rpos=12

One of the problems I have is that his age varies depending on the source. In 1839, on his marriage details, his birth year is recorded as 1813, 1841 his age is given as 1816, and in 1851 his birth year is 1811.

According to the 1851 census his place of birth is Wrockwardine Shopshire. So as I am assuming this is accurate I have looked for a baptism in Wrockwardine. The only baptism was that of William Wood with parents John and Susannah (baptism -30 Nov 1817)However, when this is tracked through the census returns William is living with his parents in 1841 and his father is a wheelwright not a miner(occupation of William’s father given on the marriage record of Freereg).

Back to the drawing board. I have found another possible baptism in Wombridge, Shropshire – William Wood baptised 15 Apr1810 parents John and Dariety/Dorothey. Wombridge is not too far away from Wrockwardine and according to genuki  Wombridge is a mining area, so this would tie in with Williams father’s occupation.

I have tried to track William’s parents and siblings through bmd’s and census returns and this is where I am struggling.

There appears to be three other siblings:
Sarah christening 8 Mar 1812, Margaret christening 26 June 1808, John Christening 18 June 1807

However, once I tried to look for John and Dariety/Dorothy on the census returns the plot thickens.
There is a Dorothy wood born 1784 Wrockwardine living in the parish of Wrockwardine (Sub registration district Wombridge) with 4 children living at home. There is no record of a husband.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&gsfn=dorothy&gsln=wood&gsby=1784&gsb2co=3251%2cEngland&gsb2pl=5282%2cShropshire&gsdy=&gsd2co=1%2cAll+Countries&gsd2pl=1%2c+&sbo=0&s

The other problem I have is I can’t find any baptisms for these children to establish if the children’s father is John. Also, I can’t find a marriage of John Wood and Dariety/Dorothy.

Thank you for staying with me on this one.  My ramblings are long but I wanted to fully explain my reasoning.

Any thoughts and help with William will be most welcome.

Sandra

Ibbotson, Mitchell, Metcalfe, Hulley, Carter, Burton, Rodgers, Staniforth, Mann

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with William Wood
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 18:16 GMT (UK) »
This may be of interest; Dec 3rd 1783
William Wood aged 36 wife Elizabeth children Jane 11, William 9, Andrew 3, Mary inf. Born at Lilleshall his father's parish inhabits Wrockwardine Wood.
John Wood, aged 25 wife Sarah children William 4, Jane 2, John 1 Born Trench Lane, Lilleshall the parish of his father William Wood.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. I really think it is off interest. The problem I have at present is I don't know how. Assuming that the family on the 1841 census is the same family as the baptism for William Wood then the information must, I think, be relevant as there is a common factor of Trench Lane - this is where the family were living in 1841

My real mission is to try and establish if the children on the 1841 census are the siblings of William. Their baptisms would help. If their father is not John then it is unlikely that it is the same family. However, if the father is John I would like to know when he died and also when John and Dorothy married.

Sandra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:24 GMT (UK) »
The 1817 baptism of William wasn't the only one in Wrockwardine - there's an 1816 one too.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JQ56-7BT

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
A couple of pointers:

Adult ages on the 1841 census were rounded down to a multiple of 5 years (or were supposed to be!).
So William's age on the 1841 was 25 so he could be any age from 25 to 29! ;D

People won't be able to see the things you are pointing to UNLESS they have a subscription to Ancestry. That is why we always type them out (which also get's around the copyright issue!)

Finally RootsChat has a natty tool that shrinks those long URL's (web addresses) into something more managable.
At the bottom of every RC page , under "Your Tools" is Shrinklink.
Copy-and-paste your long URL into the box, and click on Shrink-Link.
The copy the shortened version into your post! ;D

I have converted your first Ancestry link to  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ybm/
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 March 14 22:53 GMT (UK) »
6 June 1826
Apprenticeship indenture for William Wood aged 10 years until the age of 21 years to William Robinson of Wrockwardine Wood - Miner

Peter

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 March 14 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your information it is very much appreciated. could I ask what your sources are for this information and the previous post.

Sandra

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 March 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
P316/L/8/102
P316/L/14/184
P316/L/8/101

All at Shropshire Archives

Offline Sherbertrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,

I don't suppose you have any access to christening of the children mentioned in the 1841 census do you?

Sandra