Author Topic: Ralph Lisle & Ann Lisle - born about 1748-9 children of Robert Lisle  (Read 1682 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ralph Lisle & Ann Lisle - born about 1748-9 children of Robert Lisle
« on: Saturday 01 March 14 02:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a Robert Lisle born about 1721.  In 1751 he married a Sarah Morton at Bamburgh when he (and possibly also she) are said to be of "Hopton" - now called Hoppen lying approx. 1/2 mile north east of Lucker.

All this makes sense with their first child Mary baptised April 1752 at Bamburgh.

However Robert & Sarah's grave at Bamburgh, photo attached below, also lists first off two children born before 1751. 

"Children of Robt Lisle of Burton; Ann aged 7 Munths died March 5th 1749. Ralph aged 2 years died July 12th 1751"

Obviously its simply possible they were born to the couple before they got married but I suspect they could have been from a first wife... and guessing from the daughter's name, called Ann. 

The only possible baptism for the two children I have found is this one which at least matches names & dates but nothing for her brother Ralph:

Ann Lisle  10 August 1748   Berwick Upon Tweed, father: Robert Lisle  (from Familysearch)

[EDIT - I somehow in my eagerness late last night missed that there is a baptism for an Elizabeth Lisle daughter to Robert Nov 1752 at Berwick, this scuppers the below...  ::)  Obviously I would though still like to find the baptisms for the two tots named on the gravestone and the possible first wife for Robert]

This leads to a possible marriage for Robert and an Ann:

Robt. Lisle 6 July 1741   Berwick Upon Tweed, spouse: Ann Bell  (from Familysearch)

There are 3 other children born to Robert Lisle baptised at Berwick: Robert 1744, Thomas 1742 (died 1748) and another Thomas 1750. This leaves a fine gap in which I have found a burial for Ann Lisle in Nov 1749 in Berwick (last child Thomas most likely simply baptised after her death one guesses in childbirth).

So the one piece I am missing to give solid confirmation that this Robert Lisle in Berwick is
the Robert Lisle buried at Bamburgh is 2 year old Ralph's baptism  :-\  Given his age at death should be in late 1748 to 1749.... but haven't found it  ::)

[END EDIT]

I have sourced and tried Ancestry, FreeREG, Familysearch & Findmypast.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated, would love to crack this one and be able to pass it back to the person who photographed the gravestone that spawned this conundrum, Pete

Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire