Author Topic: Life Details: Frances "Fanny" Wilson nee Hogg  (Read 1646 times)

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Life Details: Frances "Fanny" Wilson nee Hogg
« on: Monday 31 March 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone could help me with my paternal great grandmother Frances "Fanny" Wilson nee Hogg.

From census details, she was born in Morpeth and I believe I have her correct birth record in 1847 Q4.  She married Colin Wilson in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1869.  Her age, as always does vary in each census, the 1851 census (3 years old) being the only one that accurately matches her birth record.  By 1861 she is 12, 1871 22 and 1881 31.  By the 1891 census, Colin Wilson is shown as widowed with a 4 year old child but the only likely death I can find between 1886 and 1891 is in 1899 Q1 giving her age as 53.  Even if she had died in late 1898, this would still not match an 1847 birth.  Are the ages on death certificates dependent on the production of a birth certificate or reliant upon the knowledge or memory of the informant?

I think I have spent so much time on this one I may be missing something obvious, so any help in unravelling it would be most appreciated!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Life Details: Frances "Fanny" Wilson nee Hogg
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
The age on the death certificate is given by the informant, who states what they think it is. You did not have to produce a birth certificate, which a lot of people, at that time, would not have had.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 17:16 BST (UK) »
The age on the death certificate is given by the informant, who states what they think it is. You did not have to produce a birth certificate, which a lot of people, at that time, would not have had.

Stan

Thanks for your quick reply, Stan.  That confirms we cannot give too much credence to the stated ages!

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I think I must have been on a different planet yesterday when I submitted this post!!  As anyone reading it may have realised, the 1899 death is totally irrelevant because Colin Wilson was widowed before the 1891 census!!  In that census they have a 2 year old daughter so Fanny must have died between 1889 and 1891, perhaps in childbirth.  In reality, I cannot find any likely death record between those two dates, so if anyone could help with THAT I would be most grateful.

I hope that's cleared up the confusion!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Free bmd,
Fanny Wilson,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
December 1890
aged 49 years,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Radcliff.  The age on that Newcastle record would still be a bit suspect, so I think I may apply for her marriage certificate which may hopefully give a more accurate insight into her actual age.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 April 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
Free bmd,
Fanny Wilson,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
December 1890
aged 49 years,

Hi Deerness,

I have to agree on the age at death being out if they had a 2yr old daughter (on census) in 1891 as she would have been a "late baby" right enough  ::)

I think you have the correct person none-the-less with the 1847 birth you have.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 April 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
This is most odd I don't think it is your family though.
I was searching for Richard Clark WILSON born 1891 Heworth this morning and found him with his parents in 1891RG12 4172 fo 104 p14 in High Heworth, Felling. His dad turns out to be James Wilson b abt 1865 in Elswick Northumberland which makes me wonder if there has been a mix up between Alnswick and Elswick. The top of the census page is a George HOGG I expect its just a coincidence but it made me pause to think. The next entry to my James Wilson is for a John Wilson born in Carlisle.
A pensive Trees :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline deerness

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 April 14 14:16 BST (UK) »
This is most odd I don't think it is your family though.
I was searching for Richard Clark WILSON born 1891 Heworth this morning and found him with his parents in 1891RG12 4172 fo 104 p14 in High Heworth, Felling. His dad turns out to be James Wilson b abt 1865 in Elswick Northumberland which makes me wonder if there has been a mix up between Alnswick and Elswick. The top of the census page is a George HOGG I expect its just a coincidence but it made me pause to think. The next entry to my James Wilson is for a John Wilson born in Carlisle.
A pensive Trees :)

Hi Trees,

No, this has no connection (at the moment) with my family, but bear in mind that you mention Heworth and High Heworth which are part of Felling, Gateshead, and Elswick is a region of Newcastle just across the River Tyne.  Alnwick doesn't have an "s" in it so I think your entry is more likely to be Elswick.