Author Topic: Father McConnor - Fermanagh (possibly Brookborough) in the 1820s  (Read 3599 times)

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Father McConnor - Fermanagh (possibly Brookborough) in the 1820s
« on: Wednesday 24 July 13 13:35 BST (UK) »
After a few years, I have still not totally given up on finding our more about my great great great grandmother Margaret Tierney Carmichael, who came, she said, from Co. Fermanagh.

In her first poor relief application, she told the inspector that she was now a widow but had been married in Fermanagh by 'Father McConnor'.     There is no mention of any church.

Now, I know that in the 1820s RC churches weren't particularly thick on the ground and it is always possible that she may have been married by an itinerant priest.

I have combed all the usual sources and found nothing, but am just wondering now whether anybody else who has relatives from this place and time have ever come across this priest's name in their records.     I am guessing that we would be talking about the 1820s, judging from the ages of her children, the eldest of which was born in 1827.     Her daughter Elizabeth stated in all of her PR records that she was born in Brookborough.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Toomebridge, County Antrim: Devlin
Toomebridge and Cavan:  McCormick
Glasgow, Wolverhampton, Shropshire:   Hill
Lurgan Co. Armagh:  Malone, Dumigan, McCourt, McGill
St. Pancras, and Poplar, London: Serjeant, Heald
Brookborough Co. Fermanagh:  Carmichael, Tierney
Staffordshire:  Cook
Isle of Wight:   Parkman
Warwickshire:  Kinchin
Cork: Kennedy, Ahern, Deliere

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Father McConnor - Fermanagh (possibly Brookborough) in the 1820s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:05 GMT (UK) »
It's been six years since I originally posed this question, so there may now be other people on Rootschat who may be able to help.        I have since discovered two churches, one built in 1814 and the other in 1822,  that may be the relevant ones at which Father McConnor would have been based:   Holy Cross at Lisnaskea, or St. Mary's in Maguiresbridge, both RC, both built.

Has anyone come across these churches, or this priest, in their searches?

A British Islander, born Dublin of Irish/Anglo roots. Ancestors have crossed and recrossed the Irish sea in every generation.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 March 19 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Online register of baptisms Aughalurcher R.C. Parish (Lisnaskea or Maguiresbridge) for start 1835-
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0284

Don't seem to be earlier registers available.

Have you tried contacting church?

Topographical Dictionary (837) mentions the R.C. Parish with 2 chapels- Maguiresbridge & Moate near Lisnaskea
https://www.libraryireland.com/topog/A/Aghalurcher-Magherastephena-Fermanagh.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Winterbloom21

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 19 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Yes, I wrote to both churches on Friday so am hoping that there may be some response from them.     I find it interesting sometimes that, of all the things that some people remember, they remember the name of the priest who married them, much as they may have forgotten so much else.

I live in hope that this memory may crop up in other people's trees one day.     It actually helped me quite a bit in the research of another line in Armagh some years ago.