Author Topic: Dolobran, Montgomershire, Wales  (Read 21087 times)

Offline Lloyd quest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dolobran, Montgomershire, Wales
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your family information!  Yes, we both are descendents from Thomas Lloyd.  I will find a moment and show you our lineage as well.  How excellent to meet you!  I'm delighted to also know that pictures exist - I have seen an engraved image but somehow that just is not the same as a photograph - or being able to see it in person!!

For years, we had the family history from my great grandmother, Emmeretta Lloyd.  Now through the wonders of the internet - it is so exciting to be able to verify all that she told us!

Here is our lineage from Thomas Lloyd:

Thomas Lloyd (Penn. Gov.) born in 1640 Dolobran, Montgomeryshire Wales, married Mary Jones
      Upon Mary's death, he later married Patience Gardiner by whom he had no children.
Their son, Thomas Lloyd ( wife unkown) had a son John.
Their son, John, married Rebecca Ball ( cousin of Mary Ball, George Washington's mother.)
Their son, Thomas married Elizabeth Morton
Their son, John married Esther Kissiah Holcomb
Their daughter Emmaretta Lloyd was my great grandmother.
Their daughter Emmaretta married Henry VanDorn
Their daughter Marvell married Charles Cook
Their daughter Carolynn Cook married Herman Robert Mills and they had me!

All of these Lloyd families had many children It is a great adventure to begin tracking them all. I will be so greatful to learn about the earlier lineage in Wales.  I wounds like you have a wonderful start on that information.

Offline Remembering

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 21:03 BST (UK) »
I look forward to seeing your branch as well, thank you :)

Where do you live now?

I'm currently in Japan, USAF, but born in Bryn Mawr (a bit Welsh huh?) raised in the suburbs of Philadelphia. The family obviously never strayed far from that area but I uprooted and took off. My brother lives in Bala Cynwyd (how's that for Welsh) and my mom in Narberth, my uncle in Merion. I Lived in Haverford several years, went to Welsh Valley Jr High in Penn Wynn and Gladwyne School (Elementary).

ok, that's wayyyyyyyyyy too much info  ;D
Hamilton, Lloyd, Carpenter, Wales

Offline Lloyd quest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for sharing your family information!  Yes, we both are descendents from Thomas Lloyd.  I will find a moment and show you our lineage as well.  How excellent to meet you!  I'm delighted to also know that pictures exist - I have seen an engraved image but somehow that just is not the same as a photograph - or being able to see it in person!!

For years, we had the family history from my great grandmother, Emmeretta Lloyd.  Now through the wonders of the internet - it is so exciting to be able to verify all that she told us!

Here is our lineage from Thomas Lloyd:

Thomas Lloyd (Penn. Gov.) born in 1640 Dolobran, Montgomeryshire Wales, married Mary Jones
      Upon Mary's death, he later married Patience Gardiner by whom he had no children.
Their son, Thomas Lloyd ( wife unkown) had a son John.
Their son, John, married Rebecca Ball ( cousin of Mary Ball, George Washington's mother.)
Their son, Thomas married Elizabeth Morton
Their son, John married Esther Kissiah Holcomb
Their daughter Emmaretta Lloyd was my great grandmother.
Their daughter Emmaretta married Henry VanDorn
Their daughter Marvell married Charles Cook
Their daughter Carolynn Cook married Herman Robert Mills and they had me!

All of these Lloyd families had many children It is a great adventure to begin tracking them all. I will be so greatful to learn about the earlier lineage in Wales. It sounds like you have a wonderful start on that information.

Offline Remembering

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that info. VanDorn sounds familiar.

I have some info that goes way back but it's unorganized at the moment. I'll try to get my stuff together and get you something that makes sense in the near future.

Is there a particular time frame you're looking for or a starting point to go back from? My brother has the real in depth lineage information, but I may be able to get you started in what you're looking for.

I am going on vacation, I hope, for most of August but I'll get some info out before then, I promise.  )

Offline Lloyd quest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 21:32 BST (UK) »
I live in Hines, Oregon.  Most of the Lloyd family that I told you about came from the eastern US and settled in Iowa and Nebraska.    I grew up in Boise, Idaho.

I thought I would send you the parts of the early history that we have - am wondering if this compares to yours?

"The surname Lloyd was originally taken from Llwydiarth, a manor at Dolobran in Montgomeryshire, Wales, which was the seat of the family for many years.  

The bearers of this name have had an ancient and honorable history.  They are antecedents on the male side from Aleth, King of Dyfed, Wales, who reigned in the eleventh century.  Celynin, sixth in descent from King Aleth inherited the manor of Llwydiarth about 1300 and it remained the home of this line of the family until 1780.  Lleyllyn, a grandson of Celynin, had three sons, one of whom was David.  David became heir to the estate and in turn he was succeeded by his son Owen, who changed the name from Llydiarth to Lloyd andin 1476, it was chaned to Lloyd."

Thanks!

Offline Remembering

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 July 09 15:00 BST (UK) »
Oregon..wow...your branch left Philly too ;)

Here is a very short version going way back:
John Lloyd, grandfather of Gov Thomas Lloyd, married Katherine, dughter of Humphry Lloyd (who assumed the name of Wynn, of Dyffryn). Humphrey Wynn (Lloyd) was the son of John and Margaret Lloyd, who was the sister of sir Roger Kynaston and descended from Sir Roger Kynaston, whose wife was Lady Elizabeth Grey, daughter of Sir Henry Grey, Earl of Tankerville in Normandy, and Lord Powys.

Maybe I should just copy and send you the copy of "Addenda to the Lloyd Geneology" that I have.  Not to be lazy but it's not put together chronologically, it jumps around so it's hard to follow. right now i'm reading about how one of our ancestors (Arthur, Prince of Wales,1486-1502) was married to Katharine of Aragon before she was married to King Henry VIII (if you watch The Tudors...Yes, that King Henry and that Katharine) and if i'm reading it right, another Elizabeth in our line, was married to King Henry VII.

Offline Lloyd quest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 July 09 04:10 BST (UK) »
I know that you are off on vacation soon - so please don't hurry with the early Lloyd line - when you have time will be just wonderful.  Getting a copy of your Lloyd geneology would be wonderful.  You may send it directly to my email if you wish ---  (*) --- it is my understanding that copies will transmit better this way.     Have a wonderful vacation - talk to you soon.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Remembering

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 July 09 09:58 BST (UK) »
Greetings :)

I do not have the information electronically. it's the old fashioned way...on paper. I will copy and snail-mail it to you if you want. If you do and are comfortable giving me a mailing address, send me a private message where you'd like it sent and I'll get it in the mail asap.

My vacation isnt really going to be a vacation any more. some family stuff has popped up which means I'll be going home (suburbs of Philadelphia) instead of to England, but I'll make it over there, and hopefully Wales too, very soon.

Offline Remembering

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 July 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
I got the info in the PM and replied, thank you! :)