Author Topic: Church Records from Killmacallon, Sligo  (Read 4518 times)

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church Records from Killmacallon, Sligo
« on: Sunday 03 March 13 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the names of the parents and siblings of Thomas Corcoran born in 1785 in Kilmacallan, Sligo.

He married a Mary McDonagh from Carrowkeel, they had one child Michael (US Civil War General Michael Corcoran) born September 7th, 1827. Thomas died in Carrowkeel, Sligo in 1845. I have found his military papers which state he was born in Kilmacallan in 1785. I have checked all the online civil records, Roots Ireland and Sligo heritage centre and can find no record of Thomas baptism, marriage or death. I also have no found no birth cert for Michael in 1827. Does anyone know if there are old church records for Kilmacallon which may contain this information? or is there a name of a local Kilmacallan historian who may help?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Church Records from Killmacallon, Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 March 13 08:28 GMT (UK) »
What denomination were your Corcoran family ?

1785 is probably a little too early for parish records, but there might be something available for Michael's baptism in around 1827. Kilmacallan is the name of a civil parish. The  corresponding church of Ireland parish covered a union of the civil parishes of Kilmacallan and Taunagh, and appears to be referred to as 'Kilmacallane', 'Tawnagh', or sometimes 'Riverstown'.

The name of the RC parish which covers the area is Taunagh, sometimes listed as 'Riverstown', which is the name of the town where the parish church was located.

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 March 13 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the name of the Parish Shane - the family were Roman Catholic.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 March 13 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Records available for the RC parish of Taunagh/Riverstown include baptisms and marriages from 1803 (there are a few gaps). These are available on the National Library on microfilm Pos. 4604.

Records for the RC parish do not appear to be included in the list of sources for the RootsIreland website, but do seem to appear on the search screen...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 March 13 09:22 GMT (UK) »
The closet match for a baptism of a Michael Corcoran in Riverstown RC parish on the RootsIreland Index is in 1824, but father's name is not matching Thomas. Do you have a location for Michael's birth, or is it presumed to be Carrowkeel or Killmacallan ?

There are several townlands named Carrowkeel in Co. Sligo, but I presume the one referred is the one just west (5km / c3 miles) of Riverstown. This would have been in the same RC parish.

p.s. few RC parishes kept death/burials records, but Riverstown/Taunagh has records of these from mid 1836 to the beginning of 1843.
My Surname Interests

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 March 13 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shane,

I am not 100% on if Michael was born in Carrowkeel - but as he was famous in America for his part in the Civil War when he died in 1863 all articles about him say born in Carrowkeel to parents Thomas Corcoran (retied British Army Officer) and Mary McDonagh. The document that I think may clear up a lot for me would be Thomas and Mary marriage cert (as this may have Thomas's father's name) Thomas came out of the army in 1817 and Michael was thier only child born in 1827 - so I think they were married between 1817 to 1827 in Carrowkeel.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 04 March 13 10:23 GMT (UK) »
sorry to complicate things - but the marriage would be way too early for a cert, and parish records of that time would not usually include father's name. I'd expect an 1820s RC marriage to show names of the bride & groom and date of marriage, possibly names of two witnesses. Sometimes you will see a place of residence.

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline AlanR83

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 July 13 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Shane,

I found through the Tithe Appointment records that Thomas Corcoran, a James Corcoran and a Patrick Corcoran were all living in Kilmacowen Parish in 1824. Thomas rented 32 acres in Kilmacowen Town and Patrick and James rented 3-4 acres in nearby Carrowgobaddagh. Both of these areas are next to Carrowkeel which would make sense. I was wondering if you know if the records for Kilmacowen from the late 18th to early 19th century are easier to access? I would like to search ofr a marriage cert for Thomas and a baptism cert for Michael in Kilmacowen's records.