Author Topic: Dawson and Crowe families  (Read 6604 times)

Offline maryvb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dawson and Crowe families
« on: Tuesday 21 December 10 01:29 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace info on John Dawson b Rockcorry, Co Monaghan and his wife Elizabeth Crowe. They had at least Thomas 1843, Adam 1849 and John 1852, and emigrated to Ontario, Canada around 1855. Any info on their marriage, other children, or their parents would be most welcome.

Thank you
VanBuskirk;Woods(Hants,Devon);White(Hants,London);Fitch(Essex);Snodgrass

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dawson and Crowe families
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 09:06 GMT (UK) »
The dates you are searching for are before the start of full civil registration in Ireland (1864), so you will need to check which parish records are available for the Rockcorry area. Do you know the family religion ?

Unfortunately no parish records for Co. Monaghan are included in the IrishGenealogy or pay websites at the moment.

See : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline rebedwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 10 21:04 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether there is a family connection, but my ancestors include Michael Crowe, born in Ireland about 1814, who also emigrated to Ontario, Canada. He and his wife, Mary Ann McHenry, established a farm in the Simcoe area sometime before the 1861 census. They must have been in Canada by at latest 1843, as all four of their children are listed as born in Canada.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 December 10 00:38 GMT (UK) »
To even start looking you'd need their religion, no point in looking in RC records/g.yards if they were C of I, no point in looking in C Of I records if they were Presbyterians, etc.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline rebedwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 December 10 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Good point. They were definitely Catholic.

Offline maryvb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
The family I am looking for was definitely not Catholic -- so I guess no connection with the Ontario CROWE family. Thanks for the hint.
VanBuskirk;Woods(Hants,Devon);White(Hants,London);Fitch(Essex);Snodgrass

Offline bigirishfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • BigIrishFamily
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 July 13 20:28 BST (UK) »
The family I am looking for was definitely not Catholic -- so I guess no connection with the Ontario CROWE family. Thanks for the hint.
Mary you and I might have a connection somewhere. My most recent Crowe ancestor was my 3rd great grandmother Rachel Crowe (1799-1879). She married circa 1825 to Robert Scarlett from Drumboghena Glebe in County Fermanagh, and her death aged 80 was registered at Clones, County Monaghan. Unfortunately that is all I know - I don't know who her father was or where she was married.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 January 16 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Dawson of Riverstown, Co Louth. The family originally came from Yorkshire and were based in Monaghan. His father John Dawson was brought to Dublin at an early age (under the auspices of prominent banker and Alderman Richard Dawson of Dawson’s Grove, ancestor of Lord Cremorne) and started business on Castle Street in 1760. Three years later John married Miss Pepper of Cook’s Town, Co Louth, by which he secured her estate. In 1792, John purchased Riverstown from the Earl of Carrick. He died in 1801 leaving considerable estates in Co Louth to his two sons, Alexander and James. Alexander was born in Castle Street, Dublin, in 1770 and educated for some time at the school of the Rev Mr Miller. He subsequently entered the University of Dublin where, during his college course and particularly in the fourth year of it, he obtained premiums, certificates and many other academic honours. In the last year of the course, he was admitted a member of the celebrated Historical Society of Trinity College, and obtained a silver medal for superior answering in history.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 January 16 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Searching the Tithe Records, free sites and a pay to view site.................see below.
I hope this is a help.
Maggsie

There are 300 plus Dawsons in Familysearch from Monaghan.

There are records for Co. Monaghan in Pay to view, these are + and - 10years from 1800.
eg.
Church Marriage   Dawson   Jane   1801   Co. Monaghan
Church Marriage   Dawson   Letitia   1799   Co. Monaghan
Church Marriage   Dawson   Francis   1806   Co. Monaghan
Church Marriage   Dawson   Mary   1793   Co. Monaghan

Tithe records..............
There was ONE  John Dawson in Co. Monaghan.

Dawson
John
Drumgole   Ematris   Monaghan   1830

These are all the Crowe names.

Crowe
Peter
Mullinagore   Aghnamullen   Monaghan   1829
Crowe
Charles
Clincallick   Drummully   Monaghan   1833
Crowe
Js