Author Topic: Copies of wills from National Archives  (Read 1400 times)

Offline kidja

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Copies of wills from National Archives
« on: Saturday 18 October 14 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I want to order a will from the National Archives and I have located the index on their site. It tells me when the person died and when the Grant of Probate was made, and to whom it was made. I have printed the order form to obtain a copy of the testamentary document and must select which type of document I require. I am stuck between 2 options:- a)Will and b) Grant of Probate. I assumed that I select Will but would like to be sure. Does anyone know?
Thanks
Kidja
bellew, neary co. meath, gleeson, shannon,shanahan, smythe co kildare, murphy, clarke, higgins, twyford, farrell co. wicklow

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Copies of wills from National Archives
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 October 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
you'll be using the reference number so which one has the reference number you want?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 October 14 21:35 BST (UK) »
A typical Probate File should contain the will, a form detailing the deceased’s estate (as listed by the executors) and the oaths signed by the executors. NAS in Dublin appear to be charging for copies of each of those documents. It can cost quite a bit to get the lot but only you will know how much you need them.

Where there is one, the will is obviously the key document. The probate document can be useful (form B1 for the Inland Revenue), especially in intestacy cases (i.e. no will), as it can list property you wouldn’t otherwise know about. The oaths are generally the least useful as they only tell you how the executor was related to the deceased (if there was any relationship) and about surviving next of kin. However that information is also often on the B1 form.

I would just order the will and see if that tells you what you want to know.
Elwyn

Offline nbrome

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 October 14 07:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it's not very clear to us lay people is it? I had the same problem when ordering and so I just wrote a note on the form saying I wasn't sure which one I wanted and so could they please send me the one with the most info. They sent me the will.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 October 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Dawnsh is our expert on wills, send her a PM.

;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk