Author Topic: Buddo Family History  (Read 41346 times)

Offline FIFE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buddo Family History
« Reply #54 on: Monday 23 April 12 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi NZGrant - No I don't think I do have a copy of John Buddo's will but I will check. He was about 82 when he died. I don't think he had any children, although he had two unmarried nieces living with him, Margaret (b 1836) and Caroline (b 1840).

When his estate was disposed of in 1871 it mentioned 'heirs'.

John Buddo had rented Kinburn House to Major Boothby for several years.
John Paterson was the purchaser. Kinburn House was originally a double bay villa and Paterson renovated it. John Buddo's  residence at Golf Place didn't sell immediately.

The other property owned by John Buddo was at Pilmour Place. David Buddo snr had lived at Pilmour Place in the mid 1850s . It was around this time that all David Buddo snrs belongings including clocks, bookshelves, tables, paintings, barometer, sofa, chairs, linen, curtains, beds, mattresses, bolsters, pillows, dressers, carpets, kitchen utensils, - everything - was sold by auction in the 1857. Something must have happened in 1856-1857, I will see if I can find out what it was.

Good to see that David Buddo jnr did well in New Zealand. Would be nice to think his mother was very proud and that they stayed in touch.

Offline NZGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 23 April 12 07:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks FIFE.  Any help would be appreciated.  It is a puzzle that David Buddo snr was credited with building Kinburn House but John Buddo owned it at a later date.  I wonder if John Buddo financed the house and David was just given the task of organising its construction.  I guess the title to the house might answer that question.  Are land/building titles in the public domain in Scotland?

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 29 April 12 08:29 BST (UK) »
Hi all

As a 'local', I thought I'd chip in with my tuppenceworth  ;)

NLS (the National Library of Scotland) has town plans available to view and take screen prints from but there's Copyright permissions to be overcome before posting images here - Screen prints may be made of these maps for non-commercial educational and private purposes. Written permission must be obtained in advance to reproduce any digital material from the Library's collections, whether in hard copy or electronic forms. There a lots of old maps available to view, but here is the link to a Town Plan for St Andrews from 1854 - http://maps.nls.uk/townplans/st-andrews_1.html. The map is in four sheets and if you click on the bottom right corner and enlarge it, you will see "Shore Bridge" and a "Timber Yard" (possibly "Gibson's Saw Mill" that Harry referred to in his post) on the road that leads along to the harbour.

Abbey cottage is still there to this day at what is the southern end of Abbey Walk. If my recollection is still good, I believe it was once the Gas Works manager's house.  Just out of picture (unfortunately) is Woodburn. It is a street, on the south side of the Kinness Burn that leads towards the beach (East Sands), the old lifeboat house (now the St Andrews Sailing Club) and the University Estates Department Office and Workshop (formerly the Woodburn Laundry).

There was a lad in my class at school called George Buddo, who was living in Colchester, Essex in 1998, and I believe an elderly relation of his still lives in the first house on the right at the east end of Lamond Drive.

Hope this helps

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jalmidd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 11 December 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thomas Buddo is my wife's 10th Gt Grandfather - I can't get any descendants though other than through the Robertson line, and wondered if anyone here might guide me to other Buddo descendants?  My wife is from the Innes family from the NE of Scotland, with her link into this connection via marriage between John Innes and Elspet Thompson. Any info much appreciated.

Offline Dr. Ian Traill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 01 May 16 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hello My name is Dr. Ian Traill
I am a descendant of  BUDDO JEAN, res North Street, St Andrews, and James Trail,
I would like to make contact regarding any information, photo, etc.

Offline Dr. Ian Traill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 02 May 16 04:37 BST (UK) »
Hello My name is Dr. Ian Traill
I am a descendant of  BUDDO JEAN, res North Street, St Andrews, and James Trail,
I would like to make contact regarding any information, photo, etc.
Jane Buddo was born on the 11th July 1821, and her Christening was on the 28th November 1822 in Dundee but she lived most of her life in Saint Andrews where she died at the age of 90 in 1912.
JAMES TRAIL and JANE BUDDO gave birth to their only child a son who they named JAMES TRAIL, on the 1st of February 1851, in St Andrews.

Offline Dr. Ian Traill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 16 March 18 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello
My great grandmother was Jane Buddo b.11th July 1821 d. 04th March 1912, who married William Henderson Sen. MARRIAGE: 15 Oct 1855 in St Andrews, Fife. They had a son William HENDERSON Jr b. 1859.
Prior to this Jane Buddo had a child to James Trail Sen who was also named James Traill Jr b. 1851.
James Jr and William Jr
I would like to hear about the descendants of William Jr Henderson
I have some photos of Jane Buddo but would like to see other for verification.