Author Topic: subject completed  (Read 7210 times)

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
subject completed
« on: Friday 20 July 12 21:02 BST (UK) »
John Boyde was born Feb. 14,1838 in Kirk Michael, Isle of Man. ( this date from a relative)He Married Ellenor Callister c. 1854.
They had 6 offspring. I believe his fathers name is James Boyde but have  no info on his mothers name.
Any help woud be appreciated. ???

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look-Up Help
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 12 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat

If I have the correct John Boyde in the census -then it looks unlikely that his father was James - possibly his grandfather was James???

Michael Isle of Man
William Boyde head married 35 ag lab Lezayne? I.O.M.
Mary wife Married 31 Andreas I.O.M.
James brother unmarried 37 ag lab Michael I.O.M.
Mary sister unmarried 41 House servant Michael I.O.M.
JOHN nephew 13 tailor's app Michael I.o.M.
HO107 2523 294B 3
so John was living with his Uncle - James would be his uncle too -as he was unmarried. Mary was unmarried - and so would be John's aunt -or maybe his mother if he was illigit???
Do you have marriage cert for John ??

1841 - only gives county where born -and no relationships

Bishops Den???? Michael I.o.M.
James Boyde 68 Farmer
Ann 35
James 28 ag lab
William 25 ag lab
Jane 22 Dressmaker
JOHN 3
Jane McConnell? 9mths
Ann Boyde 60

all b I.o.M.
HO107 1464 9 4 2

I can only find 5 children for John and Ellenor?????
Elizabeth J, Catherine E, John J, William H & Thomas E
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 12 00:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

From the 1841 census johns sister Jane , think I may have found her baptism

Jane Boyd bp. 21 Feb. 1819 Kirk Michael. Parents: James Boyde and Ann Kneen

Other sibling

Catherine 31 May 1821, death 17 Feb. 1830.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 06:37 BST (UK) »
Claire T;  thank-you for the birth dates in your response. I had the yrs, but not the actual date. Jane and Catherine are sisters and children of James Boyde 1773 and Ann Kneen1780. Other siblings are Ann, Eleanor, Mary, James and William. It is James born 1813 that I am trying to find a wife for as he appears to have a son John.  John Boyde is my 2nd great grandfather and am searching for a mother.
Thanks again!

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 07:07 BST (UK) »
Suzard; Thanks for reply. Have both of the 1841 and 1851 census.The reason you are only seeing five children for John and Eleanor is the name of the sixth child is Catherine C. Howland Boyde born 1880.
Listed on 1881 census as Catherine C Howland  and then on 1991 census as Catherine Boyde. Have figured out from 1901 and 1911 census that she was actually the illigitimat child of oldest daughter Elizabeth!
As for 1841 Census, John is listed as nephew to Head of household so that eliminates William and Mary as parents. Sister Mary is actually found later as pauper and no mention of a child.  That left the unmarried JAMES  and perhaps this is another illigitimit child. My grandmother left scratchie info that father was James but have no documentation yet.
Thanks hansa

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 12 10:08 BST (UK) »
for those not on Island it is Bishop's demesne (lookup on www.manxnotebook.com)

There is a little notebook held in Manx Museum by the Bishop dated c1843-1845 in which he notes all his tenants + some details about a few
on page 17 is a note under James Boyde - 4 John Boyde Corlett illegitimate child
35 Ann
24 Mary (sick)
26 Jane

Thus I suspect you are looking for a Corlett as a mother - unfortuneately the IGI is totally fouled up re Corlett entries as some (?mormon) family member's  own derivations, guesses etc have replaced many extracted entries (a corlet family was an early mormon convert - again see Manxnotebook)
There may be an entry in the presentments for fornication held by Manx museum - the original parish regs have now been digitised and should be online towards end of year
you could try Manx Museum - library@mnh.gov.im  - the little notebook is MS 1223A

ETA probably found her - Mary Corlett had an illeg child John (no father's name given) - bapt Micheal 18370806
she might well be the Mary Corlett (servant) age 25 in 1841c living with Thomas Quirk knockdoo (he is widower to a Cath Corlett)

The other illeg child in the 1841Boyde  household also appears to be Mary Corletts (bapt Jurby tho as Cath Ann) - in 51c she is in Ballaugh 'neice' of John Gawne whose wife is Ann Boyd
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline hansa67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 July 12 16:23 BST (UK) »
Frances; Thanks for the really good info. You`re right , I don,t live on the Island but did get the name Bishops Demense . My grandma was the only family member to immigrate to Canada and stay here.
did not know about Bishops notebook - What does ETA stand for? Do not have an Ann Boyd and John Gawne on my tree so thjey may be peripheral to what I have so far. This is first time for me on this web site and have had great response!
thanks
hansa67

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 July 12 17:28 BST (UK) »
eta edited to add
The Ann boyd w/o John Gawne is I think d/o Wm Boddaugh + Jane Cannell
That Wm is I think bro to James Boyd senr (remember Boyd(e) = anglicised version of Manx Bod(d)augh
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
for those not on Island it is Bishop's demesne (lookup on www.manxnotebook.com)

The other illeg child in the 1841Boyde  household also appears to be Mary Corletts (bapt Jurby tho as Cath Ann) - in 51c she is in Ballaugh 'neice' of John Gawne whose wife is Ann Boyd

The other child on 1841 census I read her name as being "Jane McConnell age 9mths

1851 her name is entered as "Jane McConnal"

Ballacry Ballaugh Isle of Man

John Gawne head M 53 mason & Farmer of 20 acres
Ann wife 54
Elizabeth daughter U 23
Mary daughter U 15
William son 12
Phillip son 9
Eliza daughter 6
JANE McCONNAL neice 10

all b Ballaugh Isle of man
HO107 2523 359 27

so how do you find "Mary Corlett" on 1841 census and in 1851 with John Gawne and Ann??
On 1841 & 1851  the child's name is entered as "Jane McConnal/McConnell??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk