Author Topic: William and Martha Sedgwick - 1841 Census  (Read 2456 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
William and Martha Sedgwick - 1841 Census
« on: Saturday 01 March 14 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi:

I've just received the 1839 marriage cert for William Sedgwick, 23, Bachelor, Shoemaker and Martha Stevenson, 24, Spinster. The marriage was at the Registry Office, Lichfield, Staffordshire.

The only William and Martha Sedgwick I can find on the 1841 census are in Liverpool, Lancashire (HO107 piece 566 folio 13/6 page 4) and while they are shown as born outside of the county he is shown as a Postman.

I've found one child, Emily Sedgwick, parents William and Martha, baptised in Wall, Staffordshire in 1845. William dies some time after that and Martha remarries in 1850 in Staffordshire.

Can't seem to find any other William or Martha Sedgwick in 1841, but it seems odd to me that in 1839 he is a shoemaker and then 2 years later he is a postman.

Can anyone else find a William and Martha in the 1841 census that seem more likely than the ones in Lancashire?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William and Martha Sedgwick - 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 March 14 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Which of their children are you descended from?

Have you found Martha on the 1851 census?  If so - any Sedgewick children born in Lancashire?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 March 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Did Martha marry Joseph Blower in 1850, with no children from her first marriage living with the couple in 1851? HO107 Piece: 2014 Folio: 462 Page: 26

Kay

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 March 14 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Which of their children are you descended from?

Have you found Martha on the 1851 census?  If so - any Sedgewick children born in Lancashire?

Hi CaroleW, thank you for your reply.

I think I'm descended from a child of theirs that I haven't been able to find yet (if that made any sense  ::) )

There's a Mary Ann Sedgwick registered in Liverpool Lancashire in 1843 that is possible but before ordering a certificate I wondered if I've got the right William and Martha in 1841.

Martha has married Joseph Blower in 1850 (as Kay99 has found) and the 2 children at the end of the family listing on the 1851 census (Mary Ann and Emily) are Martha's. I think Mary Ann is my ancestor.

Have been working on these families for a while but never thought to add this link since I was just wondering if anyone could find a William and Martha Sedgwick that seemed a better match for the ones I'm after in 1841.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0y7u/

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 March 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Did Martha marry Joseph Blower in 1850, with no children from her first marriage living with the couple in 1851? HO107 Piece: 2014 Folio: 462 Page: 26

Kay

Hi Kay, thank you for your reply.

Yes, Martha did marry Joseph in 1850 and on the following page (27) of the census you reference, the last two children are Martha's. The one I'm after - Mary Ann - is shown on that census as born in Lichfield, Staff. but all the relevant Sedgwick birth certs. from Staffordshire haven't had William and Martha as parents.

So before I start getting birth certs from other counties I wanted to be relatively sure that the William and Martha in Lancashire are mine.

I've tried searching for them with all sorts of name variations, separately, and with other family but can only seem to find those two in Lancashire. I find it bit odd that in 1839 he's a shoemaker and then in 1841 he's a postman - but no-one else seems to fit.

sami

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 March 14 11:09 GMT (UK) »

Does Martha give the same fathers name for both marriages?

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 March 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello There.....

Not sure if it helps, but there is a Emily Sedgewick, age 36, born Lichfield, Staffordshire (1845 ) on the 1881 census. She is living in Birmingham, and is a tailoress. Unmarried.

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 March 14 17:50 GMT (UK) »

Does Martha give the same fathers name for both marriages?

Hi Jackie:

Yes
- When she marries William in 1839 her father is Thomas Stevenson, bricklayer and she is a spinster with no profession listed.
- When she marries Joseph in 1850 her father is Thomas Stevenson, bricklayer and she is a widow, schoolmistress of Wall.

Joseph and his first wife have at least 6 children, Martha and William have at least 2 (I hope), and then Joseph and Martha go on to have 4 more children before Martha dies in 1859. One of the children with Joseph is called Thomas Stevenson Blower so I'm pretty sure I've got the right Martha in 1839 and then again in 1845 and later but I'm not sure about the William and Martha in 1841 in Lancashire.

Thanks for reading,
sami

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 March 14 18:19 GMT (UK) »

Not sure if it helps, but there is a Emily Sedgewick, age 36, born Lichfield, Staffordshire (1845 ) on the 1881 census. She is living in Birmingham, and is a tailoress. Unmarried.

Thank you for that JeannieR - she seems a likely candidate for the Emily baptized in St John, Wall to William and Martha Sedgwick.

She's someone I've never thought to search for. I'll have to see where she leads.

sami