Author Topic: Charles Dowds born 1865 Belfast  (Read 2067 times)

Offline jackianne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles Dowds born 1865 Belfast
« on: Tuesday 29 July 14 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone have any information on Charles Dowds born 1865 maybe 1st July.
He was born in Belfast but do not have much more info on him, his father may have been Joseph Dowds his mother Catherine O'Hara but I do not have any further info on them.
Charles married Elizabeth Conway in 1888 in Belfast, he marries Hester Butler in 1911 in Belfast, they have a child named James Joseph born in 1913 in Belfast.
In 1917 he marries Agnes Tracey in Belfast, they have 1 child named Charles Malachy Dowds born in 1916.
Not sure but if I have the correct parents for Charles he had siblings named Hugh born in 1867, Annie born in 1871, Margaret born in 1876.
I do not know when Charles dies and where he was buried so any help would be great.

Harris, Herbert, Harper, Woodward, Whittaker, Pullinger, Brears, Dowds, McKernan, Tracey, Harring,Herring, Adams, Tilley,Earwaker,Honywood,Atwater,Galvin, Leadbeater Butler

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Dowds born 1865 Belfast
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Cannot find a marriage for Joseph Dowds and Catherine O'Hara but they had the following children:-
Charles 1 Jul 1865
Hugh     5 Jul 1867
Mary Ellen 12 Aug 1869
Annie     15 Aug 1871
Francis   28 Sept 1873
Margaret 18 Nov 1876

See https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bfather_givenname%3Ajoseph~%20%2Bfather_surname%3Adowds~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3Acatherine~%20%2Bmother_surname%3Aohara~&collection_id=1584963

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find your Dowds/Butler and Dowds/Tracey marriages but I cannot find tha Dowds/ Conway marriage. On the 4 Nov 1888 I did find a marriage of a Charles Dowds, father Patrick Dowds, to Elizabeth BRADY.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello
Does anyone have any information on Charles Dowds born 1865 maybe 1st July.
He was born in Belfast but do not have much more info on him, his father may have been Joseph Dowds his mother Catherine O'Hara but I do not have any further info on them.
Charles married Elizabeth Conway in 1888 in Belfast, he marries Hester Butler in 1911 in Belfast, they have a child named James Joseph born in 1913 in Belfast.
In 1917 he marries Agnes Tracey in Belfast, they have 1 child named Charles Malachy Dowds born in 1916.
Not sure but if I have the correct parents for Charles he had siblings named Hugh born in 1867, Annie born in 1871, Margaret born in 1876.
I do not know when Charles dies and where he was buried so any help would be great.

Jackianne, how much of this is good firm information based on 'working back', for example, the marriages? Just asking, but can you split your query into steps (with you explaining how you arrived at your findings?) :)

Or provide us with 1901 / 1911 Ireland census records as first points of reference that are 'sure things'?  I just need a few more hooks.

Offline jackianne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 14 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hello

My research is correct as far as I know, except the marriage of Elizabeth Conway and Charles which I cannot confirm as correct.
Charles was born 1865 and I know there was a Hugh in family as he was an Uncle of my Father -in-Law, and the family of Joseph and Catherine seem to be correct and I do know that the other marriages are correct as in the 1911 census I have found Charles married to "Hessa" or Hester as was her name.
In 1901 census Charles is married to Elizabeth and I know from speaking to family that the Conway name "rang a bell" which I know is not really a basis for fact. In 1901 census the occupation of Charles was a Carter which we know was a job he did at one time.
We do not know when he died but it could have been early 1920's along with Agnes (Tracey) as my father in law was put into Nazareth House (not a good experience).

Sorry to be so vague but this side of the family was very disjointed.

Harris, Herbert, Harper, Woodward, Whittaker, Pullinger, Brears, Dowds, McKernan, Tracey, Harring,Herring, Adams, Tilley,Earwaker,Honywood,Atwater,Galvin, Leadbeater Butler