Author Topic: Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help  (Read 45769 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Family of Cloone pre 1926 -- Help
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 June 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey is a parish in County Londonderry and was once a centre for the Irish linen industry.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 June 08 09:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey, I'm still learning about the various names in  Ireland.

Offline Mitchell-OBrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 02:24 BST (UK) »
Robert Bartlett IT IS A SMALL WORLD INDEED...LITTLE DID I SUSPECT WHEN i STARTED THIS THREAD THAT iRISH ROOTS WOULD POSSIBLY LEAD INTO AUSTRALIA  WE NEVER HEARD MY GRANDMOTHER ROSE OBRIEN-MITCHELL SPEAK OF AUSTRALIAN CONNECTION....RAISES FASCINATING POSSIBILITIES.....WOULD LOVE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE STORY OF WHAT BROUGHT OWEN TO Ireland.  PLEASE KEEP US UPDATED ON YOUR RESEARCH AND KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR BOOK!

ON MY FATHER'S SIDE i WAS ABLE TO TRACE MY ANCESTRY INTO THE CALIFORNIA GOLD RUSH....AND BEYOND INTO THE 1600'S OF NEW ENGLAND us...IT IS GREAT THAT WE ARE  NOW GATHERING SO MUCH INFORMATION ON MY MOTHER'S FATHER JOHN MITCHELL - GRANDSON OF OWEN...AND HIS ANCESTRY....MANY THANKS....KEEP THE POSTS COMING

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 17 June 08 03:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mitchell-Obrien,

Owen Mitchell born Cloone 1860 died 1922
His wife Annie Mitchell (nee Ahern) born 1878 died 1961
As I mentioned, Owen left Ireland before 1897 but revisited around 1912.

Can you tell me Owen's parent's names, their parents names,etc + other details as I only have their dates:
   father's name ?    born 1827   where?  died 1901  where?
  mother's name?    born 1830   where?   died 1909  where?

I also have some old photos of unidentified people .....perhaps I could scan and sent them to you via personal email?

What is your relationship to Owen?     

Offline Robert Bartlett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 01:06 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mitchell-Obrien,

I've researched some old births/deaths lists here in Australia and found:-
Owen Mitchell's parents were: Father - PatrickMitchell B. 1827 D. 1912 in Aust.
                                               Mother -Bridget Mary  nee.Gaffney B.1830 D. 1910
               Their parents were: Father -Patrick John Mitchell D. 1901 where?
                                              Mother -Margaret nee. Galigher D. ? where ?
This stream seems correct as the name Gaffney would relate to a Lawrence Gaffney......cousin to Owen.  I have a letter dated 1912 from him in Cornulla.

Can you give me any more information regarding your relationship to Owen and the Mitchell family?...........regards Robert Bartlett

Offline Mitchell-OBrien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 June 08 04:45 BST (UK) »
HI Robert.  It appears that the names don’t match as you stated your Owen Mitchell did not marry an H Kiernan and then had the six children listed below.  We do know that my grandfather John Mitchell was born in 1826…have stories of him selling cattle.  It did not appear that my Owen Mitchell if your Owen Mitchell as the names and dates don’t match.  Alos your Owen ran a hotel…mine farmed cattle.   This is what a Posted previously:

”Hi this is John Prindle From the San Francisco USA Area…I was named after my grandfather John Mitchell from Cloone.  He was born June 29, 1888.  He died in `1961, the year before I was born.

He was the only son of William Mitchell born 1826.  I understand he raised cattle in Cloone.  He had at least four sisters who remained in the area.  I was wondering if you could direct me to someone in your area (or post any information that might be helpful) who might know more about his history.   John Mitchell married Rose O'Brien and came to America in 1926.

John Mitchell was the youngest and only son with 6 sisters (Margaret 1880-1938, Briget 1879-1869, Catherine, Alice 1885-1984,Theresa, and Anne).  He sold the family farm in June of 1925 to a cousin, Micheal..son of Patrick Mitchell.....

John's paternal Grandparents were Owen Mitchell and H Kiernan who had six living children.  Patrick, William, John, Bridget ....two other daughters (perhaps one was named Anne from reply below) married Tom Brady and Tom Mckeon

John Mitchell's parents were William Mitchell and Margaret Rourke Mitchell (1847-1849)”

Offline Carleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 October 08 00:39 BST (UK) »
John

I was trying to find another Cloone Mitchell in my family – a Mary Mitchell.

Whilst doing so, I believe I found a Mary Mitchell from your family –

Mary Mitchel was baptised 14 July 1872 in the Cloone Roman Catholic Church. Her parents were William Mitchel and Margaret Rorke. The address given was “Kiltyfay”. (This name fits with the Maria (Mary in Latin) born 17 September 1872 that “maryderry” found).

I also came across the Civil Marriage Record (Carrigallen Civil District) for her parents –

William Mitchell and Margaret Rorke were married on the 20th February 1871 in the Aughavas RC Church.
William’s address was given as “Kiltafea”, he was a farmer and his father was Owen Mitchell who was also a farmer.
Margaret’s address was Corronry; no occupation was given for her but her father John Rorke was a farmer.
Their witnesses were Thomas Kilkenny and Ellen Rorke.

I have aimed to type the names & places exactly as given – spellings varied a lot in those days. You might like to look at this web site which gives a map of the Cloone townlands:
www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/cloone.html

(My Mary Mitchel was born in Streamstown, Drumharkn Glebe, Cloone in 1873).

Best Wishes
Carleen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 16 October 08 08:55 BST (UK) »
Mary Mitchel was baptised 14 July 1872 in the Cloone Roman Catholic Church. Her parents were William Mitchel and Margaret Rorke. The address given was “Kiltyfay”. (This name fits with the Maria (Mary in Latin) born 17 September 1872 that “maryderry” found).

The birth and baptismal record seem to be for the same child but wonder if the birthdate is correct- if she was baptised in July the birth couldn't have taken place in September. Either wrong date in church records (which did happen) or birth was registered late and parents gave incorrect birthdate to cover it up.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Carleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 17 October 08 00:24 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey, you are of course right about the inconsistency of the dates of the 1872 Mary Mitchel.

Interestingly, I have just found the Civil birth record for my 1873 Mary Mitchell - 15th June 1873. Her baptism was also before she was born - 19th March 1873. It seems too much of a coincidence to have the same parents and be born in the same place and not be the same child.

I will write to the Leitrim Genealogy centre to see if they have a view.

Carleen