Author Topic: Matthew Clyde MacDonald  (Read 4296 times)

Offline 71XYPV

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Matthew Clyde MacDonald
« on: Friday 29 November 13 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find information on my elusive grandfather Matthew Clyde MacDonald.  His story as told by him is that he was from Inverness - father Matthew MacDonald and mother Jessie Auld? and a brother Ronald Keith - born 10 Oct 1887 he jumped on a ship to Australia when very young (he married Hilda Wilkinson in NSW in 1916) so I estimate he probably arrived here around 1905/1910 as he seemed to move around a bit here.  Story is he shipped out of Glasgow as a crewhand. Possibly his father operated/managed a foundry around Inverness. I and my family researchers have come to dead end with him.  I am beginning to suspect like a lot of crew they signed on with any name and no questions asked. ::) In the back of my mind I seem to remember Skye being mentioned.  Any asisstance is greatly appreciated

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Clyde MacDonald
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 November 13 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Scotland's people has an 1892 birth for a Matthew C McDonald, Inverness, Invernesshire.

Regards

Malky

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Clyde MacDonald
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 11:10 GMT (UK) »
I checked out the 1892 birth at the records office here in Edinburgh. It was for a Matthew Cruickshank MacDonald. Unsuccessful in finding a birth in Scotland for a Matthew Clyde MacDonald. Found an 1891 Inverness entry for a MacDonald family: Jessie 33 (widow), Lucy 9, Ronald 6. Both children born in Inverness. Not sure if this is part of the right family. No sign of a Matthew Clyde MacDonald in 1891 census. Did find  some possible immigration information. On 23 May 1908 a Matthew McDonald, a seaman born abt 1889, left on board the SS Fifeshire from Glasgow for Sydney. The list of those on board the ship included  both passengers and crew. The only fly in the ointment is 'this' Matthew's place of birth - it looks like 'Poplar', which is an area of London. Hope at least some of this is helpful.

Regards

Doddie