Author Topic: Henry Nelson James Tipping of NZ  (Read 5916 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Nelson James Tipping of NZ
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 11:09 BST (UK) »
and to go with the S. Esq as above, there is one for Ethel May Tipping, School being Mangamutu, when she was admitted on the 22 Jul, 1901, address Scarborough.  This lassie's date of birth was recorded as 17 August 1892, and last school was Makairo.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Grayjay,

Your James Coburg TIPPING seems to have been based in Christchurch. There is an  entry in the 1865 Selwyn Electoral Roll.

A James Coburg TIPPING, a farmer, died at Cust in 1913 and left a will held at Archives New Zealand's Christchurch office.

http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=22391959

Two children of a James C. TIPPING, Ernest (born 1887) and Kathleen (born 1882), attended Summerhill School.

A James Cobourg TIPPING was a pupil at Christ's College School (see school list 1850-1956 pp. 214 and 233).

Spades

ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline Grayjay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 14:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much. I'm still getting my head around it a bit. I'm thinking our Henry Harry James is the same and probably son of James Cobourg/James. The name is pretty rare here, not many index's. If any lookups can be obtained for me I would be so grateful. Especially the probate - finally a fully matching name with Henry Nelson.
I'm pretty sure CJ tipping is Charles Jones Augustus Hill tipping - m Mary Eliza Frances Ward -children in indexes Francis Joseph and James Augustus William. Nearly always reduced to CJ Tipping. Not sure where he fits in but keeping his notes just in case.
Re James C and the Samuel Kennington Steele connection, I am not positive of anything really, just fitting the pieces together so my grandsons tree will look a bit better balanced. Names mentioned so far do fit with the NZ BDM indexes and several weblisted trees. Also a peerage site lists the James Cobourg Tipping m Anne Elizabeth Fforde. My word the web has come a long way while I wasn't looking. Of course it's not unheard of for a lone name bearer unrelated to the group - my own Tierney was unrelated to any other in NZ. Still finding my way around Rootschat too so please excuse any clonkers.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Grayjay,

The Cust Cemetery graves for James and Kathleen TIPPING can be viewed here:

http://genealogyjourno.wordpress.com/rural-cemeteries-of-canterbury-new-zealand/cust-anglican-cemetery-tippings-road/

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 October 14 22:34 BST (UK) »
Family search.org has a H N J Tipping, immigrating,1937, Age 48, Occupation Farmer, Birth Year (Estimated) 1889 on the steam ship Awatea, Arrival Place Auckland. If you open the orginal document it says he is british born. He arrives alone too.

It is interesting that Helena Selina Manifold b 1890 (only one year after Henry Nelson James Tippings estimated birth date) Her parents are listed as Jessie Brown and Tom William Manifold.

Were Helen Manifold and Henry Nelson Tipping married after 1937? Did they have any children, what years were they born do they fit in with this date?

This entry for his age would fit in nicely with Henry Nelson tipping passing on in 1961 aged 73 and the 1961 probate for Harry Nelson James TIPPING at Archives New Zealand's Auckland office. http://archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=1954424.

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
You might also want to put Frances Hall Tipping on your list of persons to investigate as he arrived in Lyttelton with a wife and 9 children from Bellurgan, county Louth, Ireland and settled at Ashley bank, North Canterbury in 1863. He also had a twin brother in NZ before him named James Tipping. His wife might be Anna Louisa McClintock from Ireland.

As J.Coberg Tippings wife had a baby at Bellurgan, Cust, NZ (paperspast) they could well be decendants of Francis Hall Tipping. Maybe one Bellurgan is named after the other?

I'm not sure how your Henry Nelson Tipping fits into this family but maybe he is related but came out later?

The Tippings in Bellurgan Park, Bellurgan seem to have been landed gentry btw: http://www.proni.gov.uk/introduction__tipping_papers__d4160.pdf

I've got a feeling the NZ Tipping family tree is a large one and they are all related.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 03:56 BST (UK) »
I have just scanned this topic and note that Harry Nelson James TIPPING died in 1961. As his last address was in Auckland I can do a newspaper death notice look up if this would be helpful?

If there are other newspaper look ups for this family in the Auckland region please let me know..........

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 05:09 BST (UK) »
A short obituary for James Coburg TIPPING appeared in the 'Press' dated 7.2.1913........

....."leaves a widow, two sons and a daughter".........

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz

Minniehaha.

HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Grayjay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 22 October 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Miniehaha and Whiteout7.
I've been AWOL a bit. Back to Tipping's. HNJ Tipping married Helen Selina Manifold in NZ 1908 according to NZ BMD registers. I'm certain of their son Ronald/Roland Raymond Tipping so sure of them. I have Helen b 1889 in Chch, HNJ birth not located so probably not in NZ. Married in NZ. Her father Thomas William Manifold arrived in Canterbury on Duke of Edinburgh 1874 and married NZ born Jessie Brown Wilson. The Tippings ultimately tie up with the Hamilton Beaumont family (Mortimer Eveling) and to Jabez Allott's family initially of Canterbury but our link is Auckland based.
Oh happy puzzles, and still the Ogles and Kenyon's to unravel.