Author Topic: Gallaghers  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gallaghers
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello im looking for help my 3x great grandparents were from cavarn I think they came to england in 1948 there names were ann and hugh Gallagher hugh was born in 1925 and ann 1928 dose anybody know anything about them while in ireland please
click

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallaghers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:03 GMT (UK) »
You are getting into 'recent' history so perhaps there's someone in the family who could fill in a few more details? Do you know if Hugh and Ann got married in Ireland or England?

Hello im looking for help my 3x great grandparents were from cavarn I think they came to england in 1948 there names were ann and hugh Gallagher hugh was born in 1925 and ann 1928 dose anybody know anything about them while in ireland please
click

Re-reading the original message- it's doubtful "3x great grandparents" would have been born in 1920s, etc. so could you verify the dates please (will make a huge difference to advice)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
No sorry nobody in my family even knew there names only that they came from ireland I found them in a cencus with there oldest child barney he was birn in brekon in wales and later on a cencus with his wife grace

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
No sorry nobody in my family even knew there names only that they came from ireland I found them in a cencus with there oldest child barney he was birn in brekon in wales and later on a cencus with his wife grace

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:21 GMT (UK) »
The latest available U.K. census is 1911- so did you mean to say "I think they came to england in 1848 there names were ann and hugh Gallagher hugh was born in 1825 and ann 1828" ?

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I meny 1825 hugh was born in and 1828 ann and they came to engkand about 1848 as thats when there son barney / bernard was born in wales

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:24 GMT (UK) »
The latest available U.K. census is 1911- so did you mean to say "I think they came to england in 1848 there names were ann and hugh Gallagher hugh was born in 1825 and ann 1828" ?
   yes sorry x

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
That's okay- can now give you some information/advice  :)

Firstly, Ireland was part of the U.K. so no records were kept of people travelling between Ireland and England, Wales and Scotland.

Civil registration of births in Ireland started later than in England (1864) so there will be no birth certificates for the family. However, son Barney's Welsh birth certificate will list names of both parents so you will then get Ann's maiden name.

Was Barney the eldest child you've found? if so, once you know Ann's maiden name then look for marriage in Wales (registration of Catholic marriages in Ireland started 1864 so probably too late, registration of non-Catholic ones including Registry Office started 1845).

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou il try that yes barney was the oldest child so I need his birth certificate ? As I only found this on a cencus