Author Topic: Parker family  (Read 1853 times)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parker family
« on: Thursday 22 March 12 06:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace an English couple who emigrated to the US (New York) c1891-1894.  They were George and Elizabeth Ann Parker (m/s Clayton).  He was a chemist's assistant in England, born 1868 and she was born 1873/4 in Marylebone, London.  Her parents were Thomas and Ellen Clayton.

I have found a record of the birth of a son, George Parker, born 26 November 1894 in Brooklyn, Kings New York (Mother's name Elizabeth Ann Clayton Parker).  Is there any way to find out more about the family, where they lived, did they have more children, did they stay in New York, or did they return to England.  Can anyone help please?  Any information, no matter how small, would be very much appreciated, particularly information about emigration to or from the United States. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parker family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 March 12 11:42 GMT (UK) »
There are many US census and other records on www.familysearch.org, so that would be the first place to check.

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 March 12 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your response, Shellyesq.  It is on Family Search that I found the birth of their son and the fact that they had gone to the US, I had no idea previously.  However, there were quite a few George Parkers born in Kings, New York in 1893-1895 in following US census records so there is no way of my confirming which one is from my family.  Some of the parents of these George Parkers are also called George and Elizabeth (not Elizabeth Ann and she always used her middle name) to make it even more difficult.  If I could obtain the information on his birth certificate or birth registration that would be helpful, also any immigration records in case the family went back to the UK.  Is there any particular website that can provide more information than Family Search?

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 March 12 01:20 GMT (UK) »
They are proving to be difficult to find, but this looks like his immigration (her name is not listed near his):
The Teutonic sailed from Liverpool, England to New York, New York, arriving 18 October 1893.
George Parker, age 24 years and 11 months, married, Druggist, native country England, intended destination Brooklyn.  He had one piece of baggage.  He was intending to stay permanently.

I will continue to search in a bit.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 March 12 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, this is my George Parker.  :)  Thank you so much.  Is it possible to view US birth certificates/records online to obtain more information than is given at Family Search?  Do you know where I can view US census records online to ascertain where they lived and if they had any more children?  I am thrilled that you have found out about their emigration.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 March 12 06:25 GMT (UK) »
I am not familiar with New York records; however, I don't believe you can view any certificates (other than what is found on FamilySearch) without purchasing the certificates.

I did not see the family in 1900 (in the states).  However, they still might be found.  I do not have access to UK immigration records.  I also could not find any New York city directories for that time frame.

I'll have another look around for the family.  There are at least two other RootsChatters who help on this board who are quite good with New York information.  They may be able to find something helpful.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 12 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I think the only options for seeing the birth certificate would be to buy it from the New York City Municipal Archives (http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vitalrecords/birth.shtml), view it on microfilm if available through a Family History Center, or order a copy if available through a Family History Center.

I didn't see anything further on this family in the US.

Offline corblimey

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 March 12 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help and advice.  I will check with the Family Search Centre and then the New York city records office.