Author Topic: St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster  (Read 29597 times)

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 14 May 11 14:54 BST (UK) »
I just found the reference from Imlach too which says that Birnie married Mackintosh's daughter.  It conflicts with other sources though which say he married 'the daughter of a rich baker from Oxendon Street.'  I wonder if he perhaps married more than once?  I've checked Ancestry but cannot find any marriage records for him.  Maybe in time?

Yes it is certainly possible that there were other Mackintosh children not included in the list.  The first ten records came from the LDS site and the final two from Ancestry, so there could be a gap of time not covered by either site.  Actually, now you come to mention it, I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was another child born in 1810.  How many Mackintosh children does the will refer to in total?  I couldn't work it out.
Mackintosh - originating from the parish of St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster in the late 1700s and extending to Greater London, Scotland, Jersey and Mexico.

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 May 11 15:05 BST (UK) »
According to the LDS website, Richard Birnie married not a Mackintosh daaughter but a Louisa Birrell at St. Martin in the Fields in February 1798.  They went on to have three surviving children who are fairly well documented.  Interestingly, their daughter was named Louisa McDermott which are the middle names of Ewen Mackintosh's youngest child Catherine.  I have no idea whether that's significant in any way.
Mackintosh - originating from the parish of St. Martin in the Fields, Westminster in the late 1700s and extending to Greater London, Scotland, Jersey and Mexico.

Offline Allanfearn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 May 11 15:29 BST (UK) »
Yes  Louisa was still alive at Birnie's death and was his sole legatee.

Children - my guess would be

Christian - mystery - possibly Alexander's daughter, and thus Ewen's sister?  Charles - mystery, possibly, but not so likely, similar explanation, or death in childhood after 1810?    Alexander Clark doesn't mention an Alexander as a legatee, which could mean he died in childhood.  Otherwise, the legatees of 1810 correspond with your list, except for the unnamed infant.

One who does interest me is the William McIntosh, tailor in Gloucester Court.    He might be distant or not so distant kin, or possibly even by marriage,  to both Alexander Mackintosh and Alexander Clark .   And I suppose there's a chance that Alexander Mackenzie in the Adelphi might have married a Mackintosh daughter?   

I couldn't find a PCC will for an Alexander Mackintosh, saddler, with a K, which is how folk seemed to have spelt the name,  but not Alexander Clark.   To be on the safe side, I'll check the other possible spellings.    (Another wrinkle on the Scots site is that they allow for varieties of spelling if you want)

Offline Allanfearn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 14 May 11 16:18 BST (UK) »
This is getting very close to home.   If scotlandspeople is to be trusted the only surviving baptismal records for an Alexander Mackintosh with a K in Scotland between 1730 and 1770 are 4 only in number.  They are all in the parish of Petty, which is where I happen to stay, to the east of Inverness.   At that time there were a number of Clark families in Petty, two headed by Alexanders, with merchant kin, also Alexanders, in the burgh itself (not to mention the parish clerk and schoolmaster (it was a highly reputable school, very good at Latin, which the Gaelic speakers there are claimed to have conversed in and understood better than English) who was also a Clark, and not to mention Clark kin in the Georgia skin trade.   There is still a Sandy Clark farming just east of what is now Inverness Airport.  The downside is that the Petty parish register is a mess, and it can't be the only one of its time which was kept in fits and starts in the Inverness area.   I think I'll do some more digging first.

Offline Allanfearn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 14 May 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
I think I might have a couple of possible McIntoshes.    An Alexander of 6 Feb 1734, born to a John and Christian McIntosh (both forenames in Alexander Clark's will) in the burgh, and an Alexander of 7 July 1749 to John McIntosh and Barbara Clark, also in the burgh.   There's also an Alexander McIntosh born 11 November to a John McIntosh in Petty - but 1759 might just be a bit late.   

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 14 May 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, let's see...  Ewen Mackintosh was born in 1765, give or take a year or two.  I'm fairly certain of that from the age on his burial record.  1734 therefore seems the mostly likely birthdate for Alexander.  Do we know he was definitely born in Scotland rather than London? 

I'm convinced now I've looked at the will you sent that Ewen and Elizabeth must have had another son, Charles, who was born just before James.  They married on the 24th of February 1789 and James wasn't born until the 23rd of August 1792.  There was therefore plenty of time for an earlier birth, probably sometime in 1790.  In fact I'm so convinced that I'm going to add it to my tree.

Also, I just remembered that, whereas the baptism records I have are from St. Martin's, the couple married at St. Mary's Lambeth.  Charles was perhaps baptised there, which is why I have no record for him.  I'm guessing he must have died young however, as it appears to have been James who inherited the family business.

Offline Allanfearn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 14 May 11 18:14 BST (UK) »
I think it might be safe to assume he was born in Scotland.   The witnesses to the baptism were Alexander MacIntosh of Blervie, and an Alexander Mackintosh writer in Edinburgh - I won't be able to check if he was a Writer to the Signet from here, but the Society, if the Librarian is in a good mood, might just tell you, if you ask.   Equally you may be near a library which is broadminded enough to hold their printed list.   There is a confusion in some contexts between the Mackintoshes of Blervie, who are associated with the Elgin area ( and also with Jamaica - one of the Jamaica Mackintoshes of Blairvie is on record as having married a Duff, related to the Duke of Fife) and the Mackintoshes of Holm, Inverness, who were associated with the early settlement of Georgia, and managed to find a way of preventing the Macgillivrays of Dunmaglass (who seem to have been kin)from being sequestered after Culloden.     Either way John Mackintosh, who is simply identified as "merchant"  must have had some clout in Inverness,  which after Culloden was more or less run by Mackintoshes.    A younger son might well become a saddler, and there might even be capital for him in later life.   I'll send the record.

Offline Nostalgic_One

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 14 May 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Here's the beginning of my attempt at decipering the will:

This is the last will testa of Alexander Clark of the Haymarket Esq. and gives to ? ? Mr. ? of the Royal Regiment Artillery fifty pounds.  To Mrs. Sinclair window of Mr Sinclair of ? two hundred pounds and to Mrs ? ? of the above ? ? ? pounds.  To Mr. Alexander Mackintosh two hundred pounds.  To wife Christian Mackintosh.  To Ewen Clark Mackintosh 100£, to Mary Ann Clark Mackintosh one hundred and ffity pounds.  ? to be applied at the situation of my ? at the completing of their education after ? Ewen Clark Mackintosh and Mary Ann Clark Mackintosh to Mrs. Rowland ? ?.  to Mr. John Grant ? Merchant of Pimlico fifty pounds, to Mr. Andrew ? of Southampton Street ? pounds.  To Mr. ? Cooper artist of Mount Street ? Square fifty pounds.  To Charles, James, John, Thomas, Robert and Henry Mackintosh and also to the infant male child of my friend Mr. Ewen Mackintosh ? ? and also to the ? Mr. Ewen Mackintosh the sum of 150 pounds each.  To Sir William Ogilvie of Pimlico fifteen ? to Mr William Mackintosh Taylor of Gloster Court St. James twenty five Guineas.  To Mr. Alexander ? of Geroge Street Adelphi Taylor fifteen pounds and to his sons ?? and ? ? and pounds oath to ? Clark ? servant of Mr Ewen Mackintosh fifty pounds ? to Mrs Sarah Bailey twenty Guineas to ? ? ? ? and wife ? ? ? Guineas and to my friend Alexander Purrell Anderson ? ? pounds to ? ? Robertson of ? fifty pounds.  To ? ? of Lambeth ? pounds.  To Mr. William ? of Islington fifty pounds.  To Mr ? Anderson of Tortola 30 pounds.  To Mrs. Susannah Anderson wife fifteen pounds to Mrs. Charles ?? of ? fifteen Guineas.

That's as far as I can get for now.  Am I correct thinking that that's Alexander Mackintosh himself mentioned at the beginning and that he was therefore still alive in 1810?  And is that Christian Mackintosh mentioned as his wife?  (I'm guessing not, as that doesn't fit with what you've said).

Sounds as if Alexander Clark was staying with the Mackintosh family at the end of his life, as he makes bequests to some of their servants.  It's a shame the Haymarket address given doesn't have a number.

I'm also guessing that Ewen Clark Mackintosh and Mary Ann Clark Mackintosh were godchildren, hence why they have Alexander Clark's name and are singled out from their siblings.  There is no mention (or have I missed her?) of Hannah Clark Mackintosh who was born in 1800 however.  Perhaps she died in childhood.  Certainly I have never found any further record of her after her baptism.  Ditto with sibling Elizabeth - or is she not mentioned simply because she was female?  

Offline Allanfearn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 14 May 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
Alexander Fraser (ff=capital F) of the Royal Regiment of Artillery.   Mr Sinclair of Petty, I think at the moment, though I'm suspicious of this, as I've never come across any Sinclair in Petty.  It's very much a Caithness surname.  Having said that, about fifty, all alive in 1810 in Petty, will undoubtedly immediately emerge. (There was a Sinclair at Fort George a little earlier, but a dead one, whose estate the Sheriff substitute Gilzean was engaged in sorting out, and Fort George isn't in Petty). Mrs Fraser, mother of the above Alexander Fraser two hundred pounds.   If you take Alexander Mackintosh to have been alive in 1810, (and leaving two hundred pounds to a child you call Mr would be a bit eccentric, though Alexander Clark may well have been putting his will together in a hurry) then Miss Christain (sic) is left all in mid-air without anything - this is probably a lacuna in the copy, and unless another one turns up, the legacy will have to remain a mystery.   But her title is clearly "Miss"-  although the Clerk's capital M looks like a W, it's a double s at the end of the word.   If the Alexander is Alexander Mackintosh himself, it would be logical to put his offspring before Ewen's, though Alexander Clark isn't all that logical later.  So I think on balance she may well be Alexander Mackintosh's daughter.

..."these two last legacies to be applied to be applied at the discretion of my executors in the compleating the education of the said Ewen Clark McIntosh and..."  "to Mr Rowland ??Warmour?? ??Backhouse?? twenty five pds (best guess, I'm afraid) John Grant wine merchant....Andrew??Dirkin?? of Southampton St Strand (perhaps there's a directory which will clear this up) To Mr Richard Cooper artist  Mount Street Berkeley Square ( possibly at a guess someone who helped him with his brother James's executry, which involved a major sale at Christies and the delivery of a number of biggish paintings from Naples. James had wanted his banker and, he thought, his friend, Thomas Coutts of Coutts and Co to do it, but Coutts declined.  Which reminds me, Alexander opened an account at Coutts' to do the executry.  It might just be worth checking whther Alexander Mackintosh had one with Coutts, who had roots in North East Scotland and links to the Clan Chattan. If he did, and you are a descendant and can convince them you are, their archivist would give you access to it)... child of my friend Ewen Mackintosh now unchristened....the said Ewen Mackintosh...  Mr William Ogilvie of Pimlico 15 guineas....Alexander McKenzie of George Street Adelphi and to his daughters (abbreviated "daurs" with a line over the top) Annie and Mary Mackenzie one hundred pounds each...Peggy Clark the servant of Mr Ewen McIntosh five pounds....after Sarah Bailey my best guess is "to Mr Charles Graves, Mr William Graves and Miss Nancy Graves twenty guineas each" - the middle name of Dr Anderson defeats me I'm afraid- Purcell? Purnell? Parnell? none of which seem very Scottish.   But he was certainly a nephew of Robert Anderson the Inverness silversmith. And he was left nine hundred pounds.

I can't yet work out where Mr James Robertson came from - yes I can, Limehouse!  James Saunders of Lambeth, i think.    William Roper of Islington £50. To Mr Andrew Anderson (the silversmith's kin again, I think, of Tortola,  To Mrs Hannah Anderson his wife fifteen pounds,  and I think the next is Mr Charles Dean of the Temple....     Hope this helps.