Author Topic: Thomas RIDYARD  (Read 1426 times)

Offline SarahH

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Great x2 Grandfather William Levi Hector
    • View Profile
Thomas RIDYARD
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:19 BST (UK) »
I have a huge mystery surrounding my Great x4 Grandfather Thomas RIDYARD. He was born approx. 1790 and died sometime between 1828 and 1841.

What I know:

He married Elizabeth Hill in Stamford, Lincs on 2 Nov 1818. The following year their first child Robert Richard Ridyard was born in 1819 in Holborn, Middlesex.

They remain in Holborn until approx 1828 when their final son, Richard (my Great x3 Grandfather) was born. According to Richard's baptism record at St George's, they lived in Eagle Street, Holborn and he was a tailor.

The family are found back in Stamford, Lincs in the 1841 census - no Thomas with them and I can't find him on his own elsewhere so I assume that he may have died before the census took place.

However, I can't find any record of his death either in burials or BMD records. If anyone can shed any light and give this a fresh look I would very much appreciate it.

Not being able to find his birth or death is giving me epic amounts of frustration!
HECTOR - Brigstock, Stanion, Higham Ferrers
RIDYARD - Middlesex, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire
FLETTON - Benefield, Higham Ferrers

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas RIDYARD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:38 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth says she is a widow in 1851, born Easton Northampton. Like you I cannot see a death or burial for Thomas in London.

Is Richard b 1828 their last child? As there is quite a gap between 1828 and 1841 the family could have moved from London before Thomas's death.

Was Thomas a tailor on all of his children's baptism records?

Offline SarahH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 September 14 16:26 BST (UK) »
Yes Richard is the last known child.

Yes, he was a tailor. He's also listed as a tailor on both Richard and Robert's marriage certificates in 1848 (doesn't mention he's deceased).

Offline SouthendSue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 16:43 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Ridyard appears on the Index to Death Duty Registers in 1828, address in Camden Town. I think the Will can be seen on A.......y but as I don't have a sub at the moment I can't tell you if it's your Thomas. Maybe someone else can, if you don't have a sub either!

Sue

Not so sure about the above now. The index gives Thomas' name as Thos N Ridyard and on further investigation I've found a Thomas Newton Ridyard marrying an Elizabeth Coole in Middlesex at some point (again no sub so I can't get exact date) Which begs the question - how certain are you that the Thomas and Elizabeth in Holborn are yours from Lincs and not these  others?

Offline SarahH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 September 14 19:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's a different Thomas. Just had a quick scan through his will and there's no mention of any children. My Thomas would have had 5 by then.

Almost positive Thomas and Elizabeth lived in Holborn. All 5 of their children were born there and as I said, it says he's living in Eagle street on all their baptisms.

Offline jomcd967

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 October 14 07:17 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled out the death registered for Thomas Ridyard in Stamford Lincs, 3rd quarter 1846?

Jo  :)
Puplett, Sonnex, Lott, Dunkiss, Hart - London area.
Hudson, Jenner, Dedman - Sussex
Leach, Hopkins, Saunders - Wales
Leach, Lipscombe - Hampshire
Sipthorpe - Lancashire
Walters - Cornawall & Australia
Kingshott, Matheson, Pitt, McDonald, Keogh - Australia.

Offline David Pinkney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 March 18 18:45 GMT (UK) »
I am also looking for this Thomas Ridyard (my 4th gt grandfather) He is shown as deceased on his daughters marriage in 1845. The death in 1846 is his son Thomas aged 20 so this is ruled out. Been looking for him for a while and no luck.

David

Offline SarahH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 August 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
I am also looking for this Thomas Ridyard (my 4th gt grandfather) He is shown as deceased on his daughters marriage in 1845. The death in 1846 is his son Thomas aged 20 so this is ruled out. Been looking for him for a while and no luck.

David

Thomas is still a mystery to me. I think it will be a matter of searching through the burial records in Holborn between 1828-1841, likely St George the Martyr as that's where the children were baptised.
The Stamford Mercury noted on Elizabeth's death that she was the widow of Thomas Ridyard of London so I believe he died there, which prompted the family to return to Stamford.