Author Topic: Having trouble finding your original posts? ...plus help with posts  (Read 25121 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Having trouble finding your original posts? ...plus help with posts
« on: Friday 10 February 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Having trouble finding your original posts?

" having trouble finding your posts?" They may have been moved to the child boards...see top of page under "Emigrants to Canada" board.

our Moderator, Grub has been busy cleaning house! We're getting to be a popular Board!

Canada Resources: Don't put a request there, these are for resources only

Canada Lookup Request: If you need a specific lookup or help with the censuses

Canada Lookup Requests Completed: If more or less completed....it will be moved
from the general board...but don't worry! Replies and requests can still be made on that same thread!

P.S...still can't find your post..
go to your profile to: Show the last posts of this RootsChatter.

or....just use the search at top of page, put specific keywords in ther left... put your username in also to the right if you know it is your post &  that will get you there as well...
( not using your username  may also find someone else searching the same surname)

Just make sure that your notification is activated for all your entries, and you won't miss a thing! This sometimes can get turned off so check it on your important postings....
 ;D  All the best!   J.J.!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are new to the site...welcome to rootschat! ....Don't be afraid to jump in...Maybe read up on how to use the site as you go...or ask a question in the beginners board...or just search within the site to see if the question's been asked already...( above centre )
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php ...

Here's some starter hints...several people may post at once, so when replying to a posting, or doing an onsite search... hit control key at the same time and it will open a new page for that...I lost so many postings when I first started out 
There is a modify button to add to or correct a posting...Enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read further down for more  information re:   posting on the Canada board...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Adeline

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble finding your original posts?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 March 06 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello J.J.  :)  We meet once again..............LOL

Yes I'm one of those folks who is "new" to this site and have difficulty finding a previous posting.  I appreciate your mentioning of this, as I was unaware of all the full details and explainations of how this site works. and I am still finding/experimenting my way through it all.    It is very nice and good to learn from others, and I am greatful and thankfull that you have mentioned this.

Adeline

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 March 06 18:43 GMT (UK) »
The child boards were just recently a new addition...and apparently new boards assign new urls to the posting...so we needed to inform people that their messages hadn't gone south!

Trust me...we were all new to the site once and what seemed like a whole
lot of trouble then, is just a lark now...But I do get a kick out of people sending me back my personal messages, as I spent months doing that....and when I went away for a few weeks, came back and did it once more!!!

Also...if you go back to the top of the page and go to "home" scroll down and there is a whole section for beginners as well as a "how to use rootschat"
section!

You are doing just fine!  Have fun!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for shrinking a url in your posting...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,134417.0.html
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 July 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
I see what you mean - the site is getting harder to find information as well. Perhaps its time to break the catagories into smaller chunks - such as by Province? - simply a suggestion. :)

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 July 06 00:17 BST (UK) »
  Well, as mentioned above, each change of position makes a new url for every single posting...so although this sounds good in theory it would be a headache for the  moderator who has mega stuff on her plate already...and there would be complaints about where one's post has gone, etc...
  Would have been an idea from the start, but  then I would imagine at the time of making this site, immigration to Canada wasn't much more than an additional bonus added in later...due to a demand...
    Perhaps if there was a way to keep the url the same it could work, but a new place in the forum automatically needs a new url....

Using the subject line in the queries to one's full advantage will help...

If you are referring to the resource files...we have done this with Ontario and also Nova Scotia...but it's more work than you think to move those also, as  they are linked in with other information...I am sure when there are dozens of resource files for other Provinces, we will eventually move them as the demand requires...but in the meantime, it's more fun to do other things ;D
As I said, the site wasn't meant to have a lot on Canada, etc. it has just blossomed into a larger board due to recent popularity...and keeps growing...
Hope you are enjoying it! I know I do!  J.J.

Canada resources are now all here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,372.0.html

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:11 BST (UK) »
We learn something new every day....If you have a posting for a certain Province please begin with the abbreviation for that Province...then the researchers or you can just hit the word subject on the page...and they will be put in alphabetical order
Canadian Provinces
Alberta   --------------AB
British Columbia ---BC
Manitoba------------MB
New Brunswick-----NB
Nfld & Labrado----- NL
NWTerritories-------NT
Nova Scotia---------NS
Nunavut   -------------NU
Ontario---------------ON
Prince Edward Isle-PE
Quebec---------------QC
Saskatchewan------SK
Yukon----------------YT

or for British Home Child .........BHC

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 April 08 19:23 BST (UK) »
Fine idea JJ. Perhaps we can refine that protcol a bit further and have the family name follow the province and then by the topic item.

example 1.  ON-Langmaid-John's chidren's names needed
example 2  AB-Fletcher-date and ship for Canadian migration

What do you think folks?

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble finding your original posts? ...plus help with posts
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 November 08 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Need some help with nicknames?
Here's a sample : Margaret:
Margot, Marguerita, Rita, Greta, Gretel, Gretchen, Marjorie, Margery, Margie, Marg, Maggie, Madge, Midge, May, Maisie, Daisy, Maidie, Meg, Mog. Peg, Poggy, Pog, Peggy & Peg

Here are some sites to help although none as extensive as above list  :D

female: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genealogylinks/surnm/nn/nn_female.html
Male: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genealogylinks/surnm/nn/nn_male.html
http://www.genealogytoday.com/genealogy/enoch/nicknames.html
http://genealogy.about.com/library/bl_nicknames.htm