Author Topic: Douglass (Douglas) Family of Grace Hall  (Read 10608 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Douglass (Douglas) Family of Grace Hall
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 02:17 BST (UK) »
Here is what I have:

1.  Thomas Douglass m. 1785 Elizabeth Ford(e) of Seaforde, Down
2.  Charles Matthew Douglas, Esq., D.L., d. 1880
2.  Elizabeth Douglas m. Rev. Samuel Blacker--Blacker-Douglas
2.  Theodosia Helena Douglas m. Rev. 1812 Rev. William Brownlow Forde

Charles Douglas of Grace Hall was a Director of the Lurgan Gas Co. and owner of 2,791 acres of land.

Now my problem:  Who were the parents of the above mentioned Thomas Douglass?  Could this Thomas Douglas be the son  Margaret Cuppage and Surgeon William Douglas?  See below:

1.  Rev. Alexander Macaulay m. Mildred Reid, dau of Rev. Adam Reid
2.  Mary Macaulay m. 1726 John Cuppage
3.  Rev. Alexander Cuppage m. Mary Boyd, of the Ballintoy Boyds
3.  Sarah Cuppage m. Rev. James Moore, of the Moores of Moore's Fort, Ballymoney
3.  Mary Cuppage m. Maj. Charles Hill
3.  Alicia Cuppage m. Rev. Lindsay Hall (c.1752-1812) Unproven but my guess would be that he is somehow related to the Halls of Narrow Water.
3.  Margaret Cuppage married Surgeon William Douglas and had,
4.  James Douglas
4.  Adam Douglas
4.  Thomas Douglas
4.  William Douglas
4.  Mary Douglas
4.  Jane Douglas
4.  Margaretta Douglas
4.  Lenora Douglas
4.  Anna Douglas
4.  Catherine Douglas
*One descendant of this family was Dr John Cuppage Douglas who married into the Fulton family.  He was related to James and Jane Douglas who were related to Samuel Watts, of Lurgan, brewer.
3.  Elizabeth Cuppage m. Surgeon William McCurdy
3.  Mildred Cuppage m. Richard Lloyd, linen draper, son of Rev. Richard Lloyd
3.  Catherine Cuppage m. 1762 John Greer, Deputy Governor of Cos. Armagh and Tyrone

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Douglass (Douglas) Family of Grace Hall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 August 09 03:21 BST (UK) »
Upon further research found that Dr. John Cuppage Douglas was a son of Surgeon William Douglas and Margaret Cuppage.  Dr. John Cuppage Douglas was b. 14 June 1778 in Lurgan where his father was practicing medicine.  He m. 13 Jan 1817 at Lisburn to Elizabeth Fulton, dau of Joseph Fulton and Ann Graham.  Dr John Douglas was associated with the School of Midwifery in Dublin.

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 September 09 20:53 BST (UK) »
Pablo

I have Thomas Douglass father as Thomas and Elizabeth's father as Matthew.

And the Rev Blacker is the Blacker's of Carrickblacker line.

Cuppage family line may well be linked with Hamiltons of Fintra house, Knox's ,Blacker's (Twigg's are in these lines too  ;D).

I believe more could be found within the Mussenden and knox papers.

Will keep looking

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blacker

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 09 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Pablo,

The father of Thomas Douglass of Grace Hall, according to my tree, was Charles Douglass and his mother was Theodosia St. George. Charles Douglass was the son of Robert Douglass(1655-1733) and a Miss Usher. Robert's second wife was Miss Elliot and his third was Miss Whitney. Robert's father was also Robert and his mother was Elizabeth Henderson.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 03 January 10 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Steve and Blacker,
Thanks lots for your input.  You two have definitely provided something for me
to mull over when I return home.  Hope that the both of you had a
nice Christmas and that your new year is off to a wonderful start.
With best wishes, Paul

Offline susan21

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 03 January 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
hi i am new to all this but share your interest in the douglass family .they lived in gracehall from approx 1700 to approx 1900.married into the blackers  of tandragee . i would like to be in contact with you to share more info thanks susan21

Offline jennigal923

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 August 14 06:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did you get any answers on our question regards wether your Douglas is related to the Grace Hall Douglas family? I am researching the Douglas family of Lurgan and surrounds, and go back at least as far as 1740. But the lineage in Lurgan does go back further as DNA results with another family indicate.  I've seen your Dr William Douglas in the records, and have wondered if there was a connection?

I am not related to the Grave Hall Douglas family.

Jenni

Offline Alan J Hall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 February 21 04:58 GMT (UK) »
Briefly my ancestors came from Northumberland to South Australia.  Unlike other colonies South Australia was actually a company - enough of the history side of things.  In the custody of a family ancestor was an oil painting of George HALL said to be the Constable of the (Bamburgh) Castle. I emailed the Castle almost about 15 years ago - no such records of anyone called George HALL as the Constable. Email referred off to a research who was about the do the same response . .  two days later turned over some papers and there was George the Constable ! ! ! C 1790. The outcome was a book       Bamburgh "Ghosts' - voices from the 18th Century            mostly about how George 'managed' the castle as our modern interpretation of a Constable greatly differs from then as more of a Chief Executive Office or the like.  Things went nice till about 1790 when Eleanor BROWN turned up on the steps of the Castle and very heavily pregnant. The father turned out to be Jonathan HALL the Constable's son - they had to atone for their sins in the local St Aiden Church.  Matilda BROWN was born and that now creates an extremely complex genea family tree project because Matilda marries DOUGLAS/DOUGLASS - as ALL of her thee children all name their children as either Matilda Hall DOUGLAS(S) or Jonathan Hall DOUGLAS(S).  This appears to have continued in several generations up to the late 1900's. Would be happy to share further details.  Standard offer i have is there is anything down under please ask - Alan Hall VK3HV   

Offline unilove18

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 22 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi im of no relation but i got married in gracehall  ;D ;D. I thought maybe an idea would be to contact the current owners of gracehall and see if they know any family history?? I could put you in touch

Laura