Author Topic: 1939 Registration  (Read 63101 times)

Offline chrispaton

• RootsChat Member
  • Innocence before the war
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Registration
« Reply #279 on: Thursday 18 February 10 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Update for Northern Ireland 1939:

I'm just off the phone from someone at PRONI who called me for more info regarding my request for an address in Belfast, which is apparently the first they have received, though they have confirmed that they have received several more since - so many that I was told "we are going to have to do something about this".

They have found the info for the address I am interested in. There are 794 registers, two to a box, all completely unindexed and stored in an out storage facility. By a sheer fluke, my address was in the first box they looked at. The person I spoke to was very friendly, but did not know too much about what has happened in mainland Britain regarding the equivalent registers here, so I've e-mailed a summary of all the developments that have happened so far, starting with Guy's FOI act, the Scottish release, then the new NHSIC system etc.

Because the GRONI has to be consulted regarding permission to release the material it was suggested that if I could send information on proof of death, it would help with their discussions. I have therfore scanned a death cert for my grandfather and e-mailed it over, along with copies of English and Scottish 1939 releases I have already obtained, and I have explained how both the systems work over here.

In summary - I think this is a big deal for PRONI, but I also think they are extremely sincere about dealing with it. I've been asked to leave it with them for a short while, as various negotiations apparently now have to take place.  But it is looking promising.

Chris

Genealogy - www.ScotlandsGreatestStory.co.uk www.BritishGENES.blogspot.co.uk (British Genealogy News and EventS) * Ruhleben internment camp - http://ruhleben.tripod.com

Offline bishenbertie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
£42 is very expensive, another reason why the information should be realised to FindMyPast or anc*stry
Westbrook - London, Oxford
Squibb, Brooks - London
Kingcombe, Parsons, Penny, Crocker, Brooks - Devon

Offline BettyofKent

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: Thursday 18 February 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
£42 is such an odd amount.
I wonder how they arrived at that figure.

Betty
KENT:
Stutely - Wittersham & Stone
Padgham - Wittersham
Wanstall - Northbourne
Taylor - Ringwould & Ash
Skinner - Deal
Bushell - Walmer
Spain - Walmer
Also
Schloss - Poland, Nottingham, Massachusetts & New Zealand.
Cohen - Birmingham

"Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov."

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: Thursday 18 February 10 18:19 GMT (UK) »
£42 is an odd amount. At least they should round it down to 40 like they rounded down ages on the 1841 census.  ;D
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: Thursday 18 February 10 18:54 GMT (UK) »
just as well I know my immediate family well enough to know where they were!! :o

my parents are still alive and my husbands mother is still alive to tell me for free ;D ;D ;D
I know where my FIL was too! I have photos of him and his brother in the garden.

what a rip off!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: Thursday 18 February 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
£42 is such an odd amount.
I wonder how they arrived at that figure.

Betty

The Government has a policy on Fees and Charges that lays down that they should recover the full cost of providing that service (unless there is an agreement to the contrary). This is a long standing policy of 30+ years standing. Charges that fall under this policy are reported annually to the Public Accounts Committee to show they are making a fall cost recovery and not a loss or a profit. From this I would suspect that some careful thought has gone into the £42 figure.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: Friday 19 February 10 00:31 GMT (UK) »
just as well I know my immediate family well enough to know where they were!!

I knew where all my living family was in 1939 too, but what I wanted (and got) was a date of birth for my aunt's partner.  I was hoping too, that he might have registered with a middle name that was his correct surname, but no such luck, both he and my aunt both registered with the surname they had adopted, so I'm no further forward in my search for his real identity.  But never mind, to me he will always be my Uncle Tom who I adored.  He and my aunt had no children and wanted to adopt me, but my mum wouldn't let them  ??? however, I stayed with them frequently when small and was really spoilt by them.

I doubt I would have paid £42 for the information I received.

Lizzie

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie - I think you did have a bit of luck with your search and I am pleased you did, its good to hear of a success as there seems to have been quite a lot of disappointments.  However at least they were free!

Parmesan - I have written this morning querying an address they supplied.  Rather than a parish or village it is a district and I find it difficult to believe that it would have been that vague on such an important register.  I have received a quick 'holding' reply, at least not an immediate dismissal or asking for fee.
Will see what happens!

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: Friday 19 February 10 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Lizzie again re your 'Uncle'.  Couple of things that you may have already tried.
Electoral registers - wonder if he gave his correct name on those?
Death, expect that would have been registered under his real name, do you have date of death and could check with local registrar as you know his given name and address?

Selina
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk