Author Topic: Doyle/Caine of Douglas  (Read 3994 times)

Offline erik45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doyle/Caine of Douglas
« on: Friday 27 September 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace the line of John Doyle (b 1848?) who married Mary Ann Caine on 11.6.1872 at St Barnabas, Douglas. I think John's father may have been from Ireland ( also called John, b. 1791?) and Mary Ann Caine's father was called Patrick. I am having trouble finding anything more online and wondered if anyone might point me in the right direction? Thank you!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Doyle/Caine of Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 September 13 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

1871 IOM has no entry for a John Doyle

1881 shows only Mary Ann & children - widow is crossed out and she is shown as married.

In 1891 she is a widow but there are 2 children born after the 1881 census but in Barrow in Furness

Did you get John's birthyear via his age on his marriage cert?

What was his occupation
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 September 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
you are looking in wrong place - try Roman Catholic - bapt 18470718 fa John Doyle - mother nancy smythe (or Ann south is another child - however the priest's hand was very bad and not alawys easy to read - married as smith) - married 18440220 (roman catholic and  fam in Douglas in 1851 John is a blind basket maker at 1 back Sand St (now back Strand street)

Did you try www.imuseum.im
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline erik45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 October 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
you are looking in wrong place - try Roman Catholic - bapt 18470718 fa John Doyle - mother nancy smythe (or Ann south is another child - however the priest's hand was very bad and not alawys easy to read - married as smith) - married 18440220 (roman catholic and  fam in Douglas in 1851 John is a blind basket maker at 1 back Sand St (now back Strand street)

Did you try www.imuseum.im
Hi, thanks for your reply.  The 1851 census records mother as Ann. I'm a bit confused by the different names of mother ( Ann South/ Nancy Smyth) in the baptism register.

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 October 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
south is a misread Smith - I've actually seen a photocopy of original reg and smith is correct - the usual transcription is that from a 1849 transcription done by the parish priest as a new act of Tynwald 'legalised' non-conformist and Roman Catholic Baptisms and marriages - his hand on this copy is even worse than usual.
Ann = Nancy (with a Nancy on my knee ...) Smyth is an alternate for Smith
Look up Roman Catholic under parishes on my website www.manxnotebook.com
any thing with a Manx Connection