Author Topic: Where Was ' Fireball Alley ' In Toddington??  (Read 3772 times)

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
Where Was ' Fireball Alley ' In Toddington??
« on: Friday 18 June 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
 While looking at the 1911 Toddington census my old nan and her first husband were living in (or down) 'Fireball Alley ', i've asked my mum who still lives in Toddington if she ever remembers this place but she can't place it, i was wondering if anyone out there might know whereabouts in Todd 'Fireball Alley ' was.

Kind Regards 
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire

Offline Steve Collier

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Not dead ye
    • View Profile
Re: Where Was ' Fireball Alley ' In Toddington??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 13:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
 While looking at the 1911 Toddington census my old nan and her first husband were living in (or down) 'Fireball Alley ', i've asked my mum who still lives in Toddington if she ever remembers this place but she can't place it, i was wondering if anyone out there might know whereabouts in Todd 'Fireball Alley ' was.

Kind Regards 
I just found similar in a census search on Ancestry for a relative for my ancestor Samuel Briden. After a little web searching I was able to piece together this comment: There are a few strange names that occur in various peoples' censuses in Toddington, including "Fireball Alley", where Samuel was resident in 1911. In a previous census he was resident at a cottage between the pub and the butcher's shop, and another at Pond Head. According to an old pamphlet in favour of housing reform "The cottage question. 1 Evidence showing the need of reform., 1897": "E'en worse, if possible, are some hovels in Pond Head and Fireball Alley, Toddington , as these have no back way, and the so-called privies are literally in the street." http://www.jstor.org/stable/60215431

Hope this helps someone one day - my first post :)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Steve,

A great big welcome to RootsChat, and for such an useful and informative first post too!

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Ezekial

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sunset over Toddington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 April 14 11:23 BST (UK) »
Cheers for that Steve......
Family Romany Names Of Special Interest;
Bedfordshire LOVERIDGES & PARKERS
Cambridgeshire SMITHS
Hampshire AYRES & JEFFS

Also researching;
MEADS from Luton, Bedfordshire,
RADWELLS from Buckinghamshire,
HUCKLESBY'S from Toddington Bedfordshire