Author Topic: Grave hunt  (Read 2466 times)

Offline amber42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Grave hunt
« on: Tuesday 24 June 14 12:30 BST (UK) »
I am looking for my grandfathers grave. All I know is his name was Thomas Gardner Curran. He died 4th Aug 1936 from TB in Park Sanatorium Moggerhanger. I don't know if people with TB were buried in the local cemetery and if so which that would be. Can anyone help me please?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grave hunt
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 14:53 BST (UK) »
You could try contacting Bereavement Services at Bedford Council to see if they can help

http://www.bedford.gov.uk/community_and_living/deaths,_funerals_and_cremation/bereavement_services/cemeteries.aspx
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 15:03 BST (UK) »
Or you could try the local church - see http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&GScid=2399524&CRid=2399524&pt=Moggerhanger%20%28St.%20John%20the%20Evangelist%29%20Churchyard&

Or, if he was from Luton as an old post of yours implies, perhaps he was buried in one of the Luton cemeteries
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline amber42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Grave hunt. Answered, thank you.
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 June 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your help. I am following both links that you gave me. I so want to find his grave.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you tried contacting the Moggerhangar House Preservation Trust.  Some Sanatoriums had their own areas for burials within the grounds or they may hold old records.

Moggerhanger House
The Park
Moggerhanger
Bedford
Bedfordshire
MK44 3RW 

T: 01767 641 007
F: 01767 641 515

Worth a try maybe.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

With regards to my earlier posting - I have managed to speak to someone who knows the history of the Park quite well.  It appears that there was not a burial area within the Park grounds.  People who died at the Isolation Hospital were taken off site and were usually buried in the grounds of Moggerhangar Church, although sometimes in Everton Church or Northill Church which were nearby. In a few cases other Churches were used within a five mile radiius of the Park.

Maybe still worth contacting the House Preservation Trust, but the nearby churches could be a possibility.

When I last visited the Park, about four years ago, some of the old Hospital buildings are still standing in the grounds including at least one of the wards.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865