Author Topic: Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport  (Read 24312 times)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Alexander Storm, Tayport
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 August 11 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
So good to find The Anchorage at last!!!   It seems it IS one of the houses on that old photograph!
It's nice to see the area as it was in the Captain's time.
Thank you once again and pass on my thanks to Vera :)
Jen
Kincardineshire - Beattie Dickson Tavendale Donaldson Whyte Wishart
Forfar - Adam Grindlay Easson Fyffe Livestone Wilson Fairweather Boath
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland
Angus - Saunders, McGregor Richardson  Moore.
Inverness-shire - McLean (I hope)

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Alexander Storm
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 December 11 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I have a photograph album of Scottish Sea captains who stayed in San Francisco.  One of them is of Alexander Storm born Morayshire 1848, and he appears to have been one of the two Alexanders from Findhorn.  All I know about him is that in 1880-1881 he was captain of the barque, 'Duncraig', of Glasgow, and that by 1887 his ship was the 'Seiriol Wyn' (or something like).  Can anyone help identify this Alexander?

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 December 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone hope you all had a great Christmas and a' the best for 2012 :)
I think the Captain Storm born 1848 was the son of James Storm and Jane Smith.
They were married on the 2nd June, 1834 at South Leith, Midlothian.
This James was born on the 21st January, 1848 Kinloss, Morayshire.
The Storms from Findhorn would probably all have been related in some way, so I imagine this Captain Storm is a younger cousin of ' our ' Captain Storm
Jen
Fife - Berry Brown Keith Kirkcaldy Walton Johnstone Gourlay Robb Robertson Pattie Stevenson Taylor
Glasgow - Fitzgerald, Campbell, McInnis, Sheriff, (Smith, Chambers.) maybe Ireland

Offline murraystorm

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Captain Alexander Storm
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 23:20 BST (UK) »
I have a photograph album of Scottish Sea captains who stayed in San Francisco.  One of them is of Alexander Storm born Morayshire 1848, and he appears to have been one of the two Alexanders from Findhorn.  All I know about him is that in 1880-1881 he was captain of the barque, 'Duncraig', of Glasgow, and that by 1887 his ship was the 'Seiriol Wyn' (or something like).  Can anyone help identify this Alexander?

Just signed up to let you know I have come across him too while hunting down a Captain John Storm down here in Australia who is my great-great-great Grandfather. I am still trying to determine if Alexander is a direct relative but I can tell you he spent a lot of time in Australia the Duncraig under him ran around 24 times between Australia and New Zealand and once or twice to Shanghai and San Francisco that I can tell from various newspaper articles from the time.

There is a plethora of articles on him from the Australian national archives http://trove.nla.gov.au/ if you do a search for "Captain Storm" and sort by Decade. Still pulling it all together and cross checking dates but thought it was worth mentioning. :)

Offline jenc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 May 12 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Murraystorm
That is really interesting I will have a wee look at that link....jenc

Offline dmcnair59

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 December 13 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chudleigh: I am very interested in your message mentioning a photograph album of "Scottish captains who stayed in San Francisco," among them Alexander Storm (b 1848, Ayrshire). I suspect he was born in Fairlie, like my great-grandfather, Francis McNair (b 1852) who also went to sea in command of windjammers, was a friend of Alexander (I think they both married daughters of Peter Taylor, another mariner), and put in to San Francisco many times. Alexander's daughters, Bessie and Katey, remained in touch with my family well into the 1970s. There is family lore to the effect that Alexander would not go over to steam, whereas Francis did in 1896. Would you forward a scan of Alexander's image from the album? It may be that we have a photo of him, but don't know him to see him. Of course, if the album includes a photo of Captain Francis McNair, I would love to see that, too.
A Merry Christmas to you!
Don McNair (Vernon, British Columbia)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 13 March 14 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chudleigh: I am very interested in your message mentioning a photograph album of "Scottish captains who stayed in San Francisco," among them Alexander Storm (b 1848, Ayrshire). I suspect he was born in Fairlie, like my great-grandfather, Francis McNair (b 1852) who also went to sea in command of windjammers, was a friend of Alexander (I think they both married daughters of Peter Taylor, another mariner), and put in to San Francisco many times. Alexander's daughters, Bessie and Katey, remained in touch with my family well into the 1970s. There is family lore to the effect that Alexander would not go over to steam, whereas Francis did in 1896. Would you forward a scan of Alexander's image from the album? It may be that we have a photo of him, but don't know him to see him. Of course, if the album includes a photo of Captain Francis McNair, I would love to see that, too.

I have both Captain Alexander Storm b. 1848 and Captain Francis McNair b. 1852 on my Taylor tree. Both married to Taylor woman. I would like to know if they are the same one's you have?
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline phylscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 March 14 17:47 GMT (UK) »

I have both Captain Alexander Storm b. 1848 and Captain Francis McNair b. 1852 on my Taylor tree. Both married to Taylor woman. I would like to know if they are the same one's you have?
Calvert,Todd, Dumfries-shire
Black,Jones,Todd, Thompson, McDougall, McNair  Liverpool
Black  Ellis    Anglesey
William Kelsall Tait, Elizabeth Filkin Astbury  Staffs
McDougall  Mull, Oban, Greenock
McNair  Fairlie
McFarlan Greenock

Offline phylscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 March 14 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm D McNair's cousin - he was trying to reply to you but failing to get through.  I'm also connected to Captain Francis McNair, but not to Captain Storm except by marriage through D's family.  I have photos and information about Francis and his family on my Ancestry website.
Calvert,Todd, Dumfries-shire
Black,Jones,Todd, Thompson, McDougall, McNair  Liverpool
Black  Ellis    Anglesey
William Kelsall Tait, Elizabeth Filkin Astbury  Staffs
McDougall  Mull, Oban, Greenock
McNair  Fairlie
McFarlan Greenock