Author Topic: Ancestry of Wardlaw family of Dunfermline area  (Read 6712 times)

Offline scorpio2outof6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry of Wardlaw family of Dunfermline area
« on: Wednesday 25 July 12 19:59 BST (UK) »
Looking for Wardlaw ancestors.  I've managed to get back to GEORGE WARDLAW, probably born around 1560 in Dunfermline, spouse ANNIE (a.k.a. NANS) MICHELL OR MITCHELL, but am having difficulty in finding George's parents and their ancestors.  George and Annie had at least a couple of children - NICOL, born/baptised Dunfermline 24 March 1582 and CUTHBERT, born/baptised 28 March 1585.  Was this branch of the WARDLAW family related to the BETHUNE/BEATON dynasty?  Any information would be very helpful.

Offline Gensnr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry of Wardlaw family of Dunfermline area
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 12 07:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Scorpio, I think we might be in the same family tree as George and Annie are also my ancestors, but I don't think I can help you very much because I can't get back beyond them either. My guess is their parents (both sets) came from somewhere else?
Anyway Cuthbert is my ancestor and he married Margaret Galrick/Galrig (b abt 1585) 18 Feb 1806 in Dunfermline, Fife. Their son James Wardlaw was born about 1618 in Dunfermline and James married Magaret Blak/Black in abt 1642, Dunfermline.
Their daughter, Issobell Wardlaw (b 1643) married Andrew Sympson/Simpson (b 1645) in Carnock, Fife
in 1675.

Their daughter, Agnes (b 1683) was the second wife of William Burt (b 1683) and they married in 1711 at Dunfermline.
The Burt line is my fraternal line and it has been great to do, though sometimes I thought I was going mad as their are zillions of Burts from Dunfermline!!!
Cheers Gensnr :)

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 May 13 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Looking for Bessie Wardlaw who appears to have been the first wife of John Drummond. They had at least 2 children, Andrew & Jean who may have been twins. Bessie was b.c. 1631 at Dunfermline & m. John 6/7/1652. John, if it is the same one married Katherine Hepburn c. 1665 & a daughter, Janet or Jean, married Donald Robertson 24/6/1687. This is my wife's line. Any help would be fantastic.

Gary

Australia. 

Offline Gensnr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Gary,nice to have contact "across the ditch"!
Not sure if I am going to be of help but here goes.
Research shows that most likely my ancestors Cuthbert (Wardlaw) and Margaret (Galrig/Galrick) appear to have had 4 children:
Bessie (1612), Isobel (1614) Catherine (1616) and John/James (1619 - my ancestor).
I wonder if this Bessie is the mother of the Bessie you mention (b 1631).
I see on the IGI that Bessie and John Drummond did indeed have two children Andrew and Jean but the IGI has them born in 1653 and 1655.
They also had more children, George (1658), Katherine (1660) Willia (William probably 1663),
John (1665), Elspet (1667) and Sara (1673).

As I say not a lot to go on but hopefully I have been of some help.
I have been trying for ages to track down George Wardlow and Annie Michell (parents of Cuthbert) but still no luck.

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
Hi.  Thanks for that. It appears that there where 2 Johns given the DOB for those children one John had with Bessie. This rules Wardlaws out of my wife's line. I have found the following which may help. Michell is also shown as Mitchell.

George WARDLAW was born about 1559 in Dunfermline Fife, Scotland. He died in 1617 in Dunfermline Fife, Scotland. George married Annie MICHELL on 10 Jun 1576 in Dunfermline Fife, Scotland.
   Annie MICHELL was born about 1563 in Dunfermline Fife, Scotland. She died in 1614 in Luscar, Fife, Scotland. Annie married George WARDLAW on 10 Jun 1576 in Dunfermline Fife, Scotland.
George Wardlaw
International Genealogical Index (IGI)   birth:   abt 1551   of Dunfermline, Fife, Scot.
marriage:   10 Jun 1576   Dunfermline, Fife, Scot.
death:   1617   
   •   parents:Nicolas Wardlaw
•   spouse:Anna Mitchell
•   children:Cuthbert Wardlaw, Nichol Wardlaw
Nicolas Wardlaw
International Genealogical Index (IGI)   birth:   1525   Dunfermline,Fife,Scot
marriage:   1550   Dunfermline,Fife,Scot
   •   spouse:Nicolas-Mrs Wardlaw
•   child:George Wardlaw
Cuthbert Wardlaw
International Genealogical Index (IGI)   birth:   abt 1540   Dunfermline, Fife, Scot.
   •   spouse:Katherine Dalgleish
Ellen Wardlaw
International Genealogical Index (IGI)   birth:   abt 1533   of Dunfermline, Fife, Scot.
   •   spouse:Andrew Foster
•   child:Andrew Foster
If I do find more I will let you know.

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline Gensnr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 June 13 05:20 BST (UK) »
Hi again Gary. Thanks for all your info. I have been looking at different sites over the last few days and it seems to be one big muddle with the name of Wardlaw. You gave the name and date for a Cuthbert (b 1540) and he is listed as marrying Katherine Dalgleish. I don't believe that this is related at all to my family of Wardlaw as these two people are landed gentry (Lords etc) and if you google "Cuthbert Wardlaw / Katherine Dalgleish" you will find plenty of reading. They may, of course, be on your family tree!
If Scorpio is still following this .. it is possible that  George's father is Nicolas Wardlaw (b abt 1500) and is mother (name unknown) was born abt 1501. It is also possible that Nicolas' father was a J Wardlaw and his mother an E Beaton (the name you list). Hope this helps you in some way.
I get the feeling that sometimes whoever is doing this research simply gets bogged down with detail and just lumps everyone together as this is the second time someone in my tree has been listed in with the Aristocrocy and they definitely are not!! :)
Cheers Gensnr

Offline Gary Allison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 June 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for that. My wife Jill undergoes a knee replacement tomorrow so will reply properly in a week.

Cheers,

Gary.

Offline Gensnr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 03:33 BST (UK) »
Hi again to Gary and Scorpio.
I seem to have got a bit mixed up with some dates in my previous reply and missed a generation.
Some of the records show that the parents of George Wardlaw (b abt 1547) were a Nicolas Wardlaw (b 1525) and his mother (unknown - b abt 1529).
Nicolas' father was also a Nicolas (b abt 1499) and his mother (unknown - abt abt 1501).
That makes more sense than the details I gave before.
Sorry about that. Cheers  ::) Gensnr

Offline hannahlee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 December 13 22:27 GMT (UK) »
hi just seen your posting iam trying to find the ancestors of anne ward law dumfermline fife she is my direct line

all i know is Robert Moodie (or Mudie) had 4 girls and a boy between 1763 and 1771 in Dunfermline. There is a birth for Anne Wardlaw 10 March 1740 also in Dunfermline - parents Andrew Wardlaw and Mary Weemyss (usual spelling  Wemyss).

do you have any info or are they connected to the wardlaws
that are in your tree if so please can you share info many many thanks
hannah
SCOBEL,SCOBELL,SCOBALL MILLER,AUSTIN, WARD,

JARVIS, HEADIN, WILSON, COCKBURN, THURLEY

MOODIE, MOODY, WARDLAW, DRYELLY, WILSON, BROUN, DRYELIE, HUNTER, DONALD, CORKRAN, STEPHENSON, WILKLE, WALKER, MASON,  MARTIN, SCOT

LUSTY, PIKE, PAYNE, THORNTON, KILBOURN, TOWN, BROWNHEAD, FULLER, INCH, DALBY, KENNARD, KITCHENER, RAE, LAWS, PENNY, WADDELL, SIMPSON, PERCRIAUX, ARMITAGE, BRICKLAND

BENNETT, MASON, ROBERTS, STEPHSON, MITCHELL,OWEN, HARROP, NORTON, HODGSON, HARRINGTON, ALLEN, FAIRBURN,HIRST, ROMA