Author Topic: Blackscroft St Dundee  (Read 12815 times)

Offline lilass

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blackscroft St Dundee
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 16 October 14 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim:  My family lived on Blackscroft st. in the 1700,1800s.  They moved from house to house same street..  Family name of BOYD.  I have not been there but have been told its not a residential area anymore.  Rose 

Offline HeatherConnie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 December 14 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I also have lots of family from Dundee, including Blackscroft. I have found the maps collection of the National Library of Scotland to be an absolutely brilliant resource for looking for old addresses. You can join the library online if you live anywhere in Scotland.
Adam, Allan, Anderson, Barrett, Berry, Blues, Booth, Brodie, Brough, Bruce, Bullions, Butchart, Caithness, Cameron, Cargill, Cochrane, Craig, Doig, Black, Falconer, Fotheringham, Gavine, Gray, Lilburn, Lynn, Martin, McBay, McDonald, McKechnie, Melville, Menzies, Moir, Mudie, Murray, Myles, Pike, Proudfoot, Roberts, Rollo, Roy, Rutherford, Sandiman, Scott, Stephen, Stewart, Taylor, Thornton, Whyte.

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 January 15 19:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Blackscroft (there is no 'Street' attached to the name), is more or less a traffic thoroughfare nowadays.  At the lower end of the area, the Blackscroft library building is still in situ - it became a bar/disco for a while a number of years ago but is now derelict.

At the top end of the area was a huge jute mill called Halleys.  Now an empty shell and has been for many years. However, it seems there are current plans to turn this old jute mill into flats, 175 of them altogether:

http://dundee.stv.tv/articles/299126-halleys-jute-mill-wallace-craigie-works-redeveloped-into-100-flats/

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay: