Author Topic: James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary  (Read 19009 times)

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary
« on: Thursday 02 April 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information regarding James Fanning of Tipperary Town in Co Tipperary. I believe he was born about 1850 from his age on his marriage registration. His father was also James Fanning. They were both bakers. I wonder if he had his own bakers shop?

James married Eliza Lynch on 16 July 1869 in Tipperary Town. Eliza was born about 1851. Eliza's father was John Lynch and maybe Margaret Wade (I got this information second hand but I have no proof)

I have 6 children listed for James and Eliza but I believe there could be more. I believe i will only find out for sure with a search of the parish registers in the Tipperary Catholic Church. Can anyone do this?

Children -
- Robert Fanning b Sep 1870 Spittal Tipperary died Apr 1872
- Mary Fanning b Nov 1872 Spittal Tipperary
- Catherine Fanning b 1878 died 1951 ( I have some information about Catherine - I can not find a birth registration and wonder if she was baptised)
- Eliza Fanning b Nov 1882 Henry Street, Tipperary died 1954. Eliza is my great grandmother and I have some information about her.
- Mary Anne Fanning b  Jul 1887 Bankplace, Tipperary  I have some information about Mary Anne such as marriage and children so far
- Frances Fanning b  Aug 1891 Union Workhouse Tipperary

There is a 6 year gap between Mary and Catherine and a 5 year gap between Eliza and Mary Anne where I believe there could be other children born. Catherine, Eliza and Mary anne all ended up in London after 1901.

Any help with this family would be greatly appreciated. I would be very interested in birth information and death information regarding the parents James and Eliza.
Interested in the surnames of Pizzey, Halfhide, Argent, South, Fanning, Killham and Dell.
Interested in the areas of Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire,  Ontario Canada and Australia

Offline dafydd67

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Fanning of Tipperary, Co Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 April 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, If you ever need a hand with research in Ireland  try Aoife at.......
(*)

(Im not sure if I have spoken to you before)

Aoife is a very experienced researcher in Ireland.

She travels to Dublin regularly and she helped me out big time.

bmd certs obtained within 4 days.

Aoife charges to cover costs... Id be lost without her. She can also call on help from almost every Irish County.

If you contact her mention my name.

Good luck

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 April 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
FANNING, ANTHONY. Rank: Corporal. Regiment or Service: Worcestershire Regiment. Unit; 1st Bn. Age at Death: 32. Date of Death: 13-03-1915. Service No: 4799. Born in Workington in Cumberland and enlisted in Carlisle while living in Workington. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Husband of Bridget Fanning, of 2, Brodeen Cottages, Carhir Rd, Tipperary. Grave or Memorial Reference: Has no known grave but is commemorated on Panel 17 and 18. Memorial: Le Touret Memorial in France.

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 April 09 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for the information regarding Anthony Fanning I shall go and look for a birth registration. I had already found a Bridget Fanning living in Tipperary census in 1901 and 1911 quoted in a book called County Tipperary by Noel Farrrell. I will need to get hold of the originals census documents. Anthony was missing in both but the Tipperary Barracks is very close by and he was most likely there in both census.

I have the same with Catherine Fanning she is in the town while her husband Joseph Leahy is at the barracks. in the 1901 census.

thanks again
Interested in the surnames of Pizzey, Halfhide, Argent, South, Fanning, Killham and Dell.
Interested in the areas of Essex, Middlesex, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire,  Ontario Canada and Australia

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 April 09 01:27 BST (UK) »
Hi
I just found a marriage for Anthony Fanning and Bridget Obrien in Oct 1902. This Anthony's father was a John Fanning a tailor not James Fanning a baker. So Anthony is not a long lost brother after all.

This still also means that the Bridget fanning I found in the 1901 census is still unaccounted for. A Bridget is mentioned as the witness on Catherines marriage in 1896 so she is either a sister, a sister in law, an aunt or a cousin. But still no leads.

thanks

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 April 09 17:00 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farell)
Tipperary Town Roots 1901;

Church st; (24)
Fanning Bridget , Matt

Dillon st; (22)
Fanning May; (living with Leahy family)

Lacken;
Fanning John & Julia; John, Julia, Andrew, William, Peter
(a Tipperary business directory has a John Fanning as a farmer.)
----------------
Nenagh; 1901
Nenagh has a Bank Place, but no Fanning there in 1901.

Brewery lane; (5)
Fanning John & Bridget; Joseph, Mary, Martin.
--------------------
Fanning Family History Research has a  BLOG about Fanning's who went to Australia from Thurles, that contains lots of information. :)

Electors list 1940/41 Tipperary Town;

Bank place;
Fanning Patrick, Margaret.

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 April 09 17:23 BST (UK) »
(by kind permission of Noel Farrel)

Carrick-n-Suir 1911;
Fanning James & Annie; Annie (blacksmith)

Offline Lallygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 April 09 00:31 BST (UK) »
thank you Seanmac

I have that book by Noel Farrell. I think my next step is to acquire the real census information. That way i can get ages to try and match to birth registration years.

I do know 100% that the Leahy family on Dillon St in the 1901 census is actually Catherine Leahy nee Fanning and her two children. The May Fanning is most likely her younger sister Mary Anne Fanning. Her husband was with the army in Africa on duty with the Boer War.

I also believe that the bridget Fanning on Church Street may prove to be the witness on Catherines marriage registration. When i get hold of her age I will be hopefully able to identify a relationship... maybe an aunt.

thank you

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 April 09 08:36 BST (UK) »
It may be worth your while looking at dna.There is a Fanning DNA Project

I know nothing about their DNA project, but I have been in touch with a number of the Fannings as I have close matches to them in dna.

My family was from Tipperary. The Fannings seem to have originated around Sligo centuries ago.
Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling