Author Topic: Thomas Ryan, Monsea, Tipperary  (Read 18799 times)

Offline Sean_Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Ryan, Monsea, Tipperary
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 05:18 BST (UK) »
Ok sounds good. I'm still piecing everything together. I have so much info to sift through some of it contradicts so trying to get the facts straight. As soon as I get it straightened out I'll let u know.

Offline MurrayF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 September 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean;
I would like to get copies of any information you could share. I will try and figure out a way that we can exchange the information.
Talk to you later.

Murray

Offline maisiema

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 03:49 GMT (UK) »
hi,
I am also a decendant of Thomas Ryan of Whitegates. My family goes down the line of Nathaniel Ryan. I am trying to find out information about him, but so far have had only limited luck. I have more than one birthdate for him, and am unsure which one is correct. If anyone out there can verify the dates of 1796 or 1785 as Nathaniel's birthdate, it would be much appreciated.
thanks

Offline maisiema

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 16:43 GMT (UK) »
Regarding location of Whitegates:
Years ago I saw a map that showed a "Whitegates Estate" across the River Shannon in Galway. This Whitegates was near O'rain's castle. At the time, I concluded that this must be the Whitegates in question, as more than one of my relatives referred to this family of Ryans as having come from the Shannon River. I do not know now where I saw this map. as it was many years ago, but perhaps this information can help someone who is trying to locate Whitegates.

Offline maisiema

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 16:50 GMT (UK) »
MurrayF,
Can you possibly share with me where you found the birthdate of 1750 for Thomas Ryan? I have a date of 1740 to 1819, but am not sure of these dates. I would like to verify his birthdate, but have not been able to verify the date I have. thanks.

Offline mgtken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 August 12 23:24 BST (UK) »
You mentioned the townsland Gorteenakilla. It is in the parish of Youghalarra, the next parish to Monsea.

Offline loobylu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 08:56 BST (UK) »
This may be of some help- maybe not- if you look at the Tithes Applotment books, google them- they are free to search under National Archives of Ireland. Then browse in Tipperary, then Monsea - then Gurtyhogan- Frank Ryan lived on an acre in that towns land, John Maxwell Fletcher is living in Shannonhall, another towns land- also under Carhoo you will find a Thomas Hodgins, who may have been Francis Ryan's wife's brother. This valuation was taken in 1825-
interestingly enough local tradition says that a local landmark 'Ryan's Point' was named after a Protestant family of Ryans that lived in the area.
The Mountsea often attributed to this family of Ryan's is probably Monsea parish, near Dromineer, Nenagh.

Offline shan55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 February 16 13:50 GMT (UK) »
In reading all of the information here on Thomas Ryan, I also see there is reference to Caleb Ryan.
Caleb is not a really common Irish name from what I found and so I am trying to find a connection to my Caleb Ryan in Ontario, Canada to the rest of his family.
Caleb Ryan and his wife Ellen ? , show up in the 1851 census of Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
They are recorded in the census right under their daughter Dinah Ryan and her husband Robert Bannon.
This is the last that is seen of parents Caleb and Ellen in the vicinity of their daughter and I believe that they moved elsewhere, ,possibly to the Lucan area of Ontario where there were perhaps other family members.
Caleb and Ellen were Irish - I have not confirmed any date of arrival in Canada as of yet, however Dinah declared that she was born in Ireland around 1820. She married Robert Bannon in 1840 in Canada.
I am also unclear whether or not there were other names attached to these people making it harder to link them to the rest of the family - could Dinah have been Jane Dinah etc?
Just wondering if anyone has found information on this family - perhaps missing Dinah from their tree or perhaps found a lonely Caleb and Ellen somewhere.