Author Topic: Hugh Carver, born 1791 in Ballynahinch C D Ireland  (Read 3030 times)

Offline martincarver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Carver, born 1791 in Ballynahinch C D Ireland
« on: Thursday 27 February 14 18:57 GMT (UK) »
A previous post (in RootsChat?) has indicated the birth of my great great great grandfather, Hugh Carver, as:
"born in 1791 Ballynahinch C D Ireland"

Would anyone have additional information as to which Ballynahinch this would be? I have other information that suggests Hugh Carver's grandson lived in Tipperary for a spell but it is unreliable.

Can anyone assist?

Martin Carver

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Carver, born 1791 in Ballynahinch C D Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 February 14 23:13 GMT (UK) »

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 February 14 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Martin, the following list shows townlands of that name in Ireland as a whole, with one in South Tipperary, and two in the north Riding of the county.

Place Name   County   Province   Type   Barony   Civil Parish   Poor Law Union

Ballynahinch   Galway   Connaught   Townland   Ballynahinch   Moyrus   Clifden
Ballynahinch   Down   Ulster   Townland   Kinelarty   Magheradrool   Downpatrick
Ballynahinch   Armagh   Ulster   Townland   Oneilland West   Kilmore   Armagh
Ballynahinch   Tipperary, S.R.   Munster   Townland   Clanwilliam   Ballygriffin   Tipperary
Ballynahinch   Tipperary, N.R.   Munster   Townland   Owney and Arra   Kilcomenty   Nenagh
Ballynahinch   Tipperary, N.R.   Munster   Townland   Ormond Lower   Ballingarry   Borrisokane
Ballynahinch   Limerick   Munster   Townland   Coshlea   Knocklong   Kilmallock
Ballynahinch   Kerry   Munster   Townland   Trughanacmy   Ballymacelligott   Tralee
Ballynahinch   Clare   Munster   Townland   Tulla Upper   Kilnoe   Tulla
Ballynahinch   Offaly (Kings)   Leinster   Townland   Kilcoursey   Kilcumreragh   Tullamore

Ben

Offline martincarver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 February 14 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ben. I have a similar list from the "Alphabetical Listing of (Civil) Parishes..." publication.

There are two things curious about this:
1) I am unclear how to interpret the Ballynahinch placenames in each case - in some instances, they are clearly town names. And in others, what would they be? It seems to me that a birth record would be referring to the town of origin? (ie, not the barony or some other type of location). What do you think? I am ready to visit these Ballynahinch's but want to choose the most likely ones.
2) Not sure what this means, but your list and mine, though very similar, are just a little different. I wonder what to do about the differences.

Also,
3) Do you know if there is any other way to explore the likely home town of Hugh Carver, perhaps through the RootsChat network? If I could simply get a solid reference to him being in one location or the other (estates? newspaper article?), then this might suggest the Ballynahinch that is referred to in his birth record.

Thanks for your interest in this. Much appreciated.
Martin

Offline BEN999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 February 14 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Martin, as far as I can make out, the churches you will need to check are Emly, Nenagh, and Borrisokane, luckily none of them are a million miles apart, I'm sure there must be a Church of Ireland directory to elicit, as to which unions these parish Churches are part of, so many have been closed over the years, others amalgamated, as the Protestant congregation in many rural parts has shrunk, some smaller Churches now only have a service on a monthly basis with the service being rotated, I would advise that you ring the Church of Ireland County Diocesan office ahead of any visit, I wonder if you might know in what Capacity the Carver family were engaged in within the county of Tipperary, be it Military, Rectors, Land owners, or in business re-Commerce.

Ben

Offline martincarver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 March 14 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben,

Hugh Carver appears to have been involved in commerce - the census indicates that he was a provision dealer later in his life, perhaps while in England (where he ended up living his life and dying).

Are these three towns you mention the only Tipperary ones with Churches now? How did you select these three?

Do you know how to find where the older cemeteries are (for the 1700s and early 1800s) in this area? What I find online is a little confusing.

I am on the road today and will pass through these places so will have a look around. If you have other ideas, let me know as I will be online when I can.

Best - and again, thanks.
Martin

Offline johannah1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 06:03 BST (UK) »
i have a hugh carver in my family tree he was a provisions dealer, he had 3 children to 1st marriage , i think she died ,and my tree is descended from one of his daughters hannah carver in his 2nd marriage. i have tried to trace his irish roots and had no luck. Trying to confirm the ballynahinch place of birth for hugh carver as well.if i remember correctly he lived in shropshire  at one time,