Author Topic: John Jones Colwyn and John Jones St.Hilary's churchyard LLanrhos  (Read 1292 times)

Offline paintedlady

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Jones Colwyn and John Jones St.Hilary's churchyard LLanrhos
« on: Saturday 20 September 14 17:40 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help my research?  One of my ancestors lived at 6, Sea View Terrace Colwyn Bay with his wife Ellen on the 1911 census and i would like to know whereabouts this address was situated as my father was born in Grove Park Colwyn Bay and i used to have links there but unfortunately all ancestors are no longer alive now. 

The other research i need help with is to ask if anyone visits the cemetery at Llanrhos?  I have expectations that a John Jones is buried in St. Hilary's churchyard section of the cemetery near the church itself who died in 1923, according to the burial record in plot J.32. The plot is not far from the wooden shed on the left hand side when facing the front of the church and I am hoping this is the John Jones from Colwyn and i would love to know what other names are on the headstone as it would assist me greatly.  I had every intention of coming over to see for myself because i do have my ggg grandparents and gg grandparents not far from this plot also, but having broken a toe recently i am not able to drive at present!

thanks in advance, Sue

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Jones Colwyn and John Jones St.Hilary's churchyard LLanrhos
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 September 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

This could be of interest -

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/6-sea-view-terrace/glan-conwy/colwyn-bay/ll28-5su/31191865

If you search for the postcode you will see that Sea View Terrace is on the Conway Road.

JJ

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 September 14 22:18 BST (UK) »
I think there is another Sea View Terrace that is more likely,being close to Grove Park,Colwyn Bay.

Go to www.old-maps.co.uk
Use the search term - LL29 8DW  (Bay View Road)
Click on any single address
Go to the historic drop-down list on the right and choose the year 1900,scale 1:2500 map

Bay View Road leads into Sea View Terrace on the left margin of "The Sand Pit"

Regards
Roger

Offline Victorian

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,
Not sure if my post is still relevant, came across your request by accident. I have an interest in the LNWR railway in N Wales. I think Roger is correct. Sea View Terrace is (was) by the railway station and much now appears from the present day map to have been demolished, just a small bit from Abergele Rd to Bay View Rd remaining. The demolished(?) section over-looked a sand pit as shown on the 1900 map but when the main Chester/Holyhead railway line through Colwyn Bay was increased from two to four tracks in 1906 a new Goods Yard was built on the site of the sand pit. More recently the Goods Yard was used by contracors whilst the new coast road was being built and is now the site of 'The Colwyn Centre'. Hope this helps, good luck with your search.

John