Author Topic: *completed* John Currie of Ardbeg  (Read 26296 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Currie of Ardbeg
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 January 10 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello welcome to Rootschat 'pania'   :)

'Timetraveller 77', I see no mention of a will here.  There's a 5 page will - most of which will be legalese, but hopefully will give some info, available from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - cost £5.00 - put in a 'cart' and purchase - do not buy 'credits'.

If you were to buy 'your' John Curries death entry which is available for download from the same site it should hopefully clarify who his parents and wives were.  A minimum of £6.00 buys 30 'credits'.  which in turn allows for the download of up to 5 bmds/census reords (copies not transcriptions).

Regards,   Steve

CURRIE   JOHN   31/03/1886   FARMER, ARDBEG, ROTHESAY, D. 25/02/1886 AT ARDBEG AFORESAID, INTESTATE   INVENTORY   ROTHESAY SHERIFF COURT   SC8/35/20

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 January 10 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pania and Steve,
thanks for adding to the thread. It all helps lead a clearer path.

Firstly to Pania, wow, so you are related to me by marriage it seems. I should tell you I know of another BARR faction in my tree that ended up in NZ. John CURRIES son William, who married a Mary BARR (of Eskacraggan Farm, Rothesay) paid for Mary's half sister Susan BARR and her husband John / 2 dau's to come to NZ as well. Generous fellow indeed. They all settled in Canterbury and Christchurch; Is that where your ancestors went too?

I have no doubt that the BARRs and CURRIEs have married across generations, especially on the Isle of Bute. If you want any of my records/files let me know. But given that we are only barely related it may not be relevant to your research. The offer is there all the same, so if you want it, let me know and I will PM you to get your email address.

Steve, thanks for letting me know about the Will. That could prove very useful. I have pretty much based John's parentage on Census records thus far, which are still pretty much rock solid. But if I need to clarify it I can now view the Will as well. So thanks for the tips.

Cheers Janine
Scotland: Lanark and Stirling: BARRON, LOW, RAE, BRAIDWOOD,  MILLER  
                Isle of Bute: CURRIE, BARR, SIMPSON, CRAWFORD
England: London (Hoxton/St Luke): BOOTH, FRANKLIN
               Essex: WAINWRIGHT
               Bedfordshire: DENNIS, BRAYBROOK, PEACOCK
               Sussex: TULLY, SAYERS (Surrey also)
Ireland:  (unknown region) TULLY/TULLEMORE (poss)
               Antrim: AGNEW, MONTGOMERY

Offline pania

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 January 10 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine
I think I am in overload. :o.Yesterday I was in contact with a lady who is the gt granddaughter of Mary Barr who married William Currie of Ardbeg in 1865 and set off for NZ in that year. Mary born 1841 was the daughter of Thomas Barr and Jean McArthur . Thomas Barr (Eskacraggan) later married Janet Crawford who was Agnes Crawfords sister (Agnes married James Barr - Thomas' brother, and then John Currie - Williams father).
To further confuse things John Curries son John born 1845 married an Agnes Barr in 1882. This Agnes Barr was almost certainly the daughter of Thomas and Janet of Eskacraggan. One of their children was named Thomas Barr Currie.
Susan Barr and James Barr, both children of Thomas and Janet Barr (Eskacraggan) also migrated to Christchurch NZ.
Janet Montgomery Barr migrated to Christchurch. I had the impression she made the trip alone but it sounds like she had plenty of friends/family to greet her. I'm not sure when she left Rothesay (maybe after John Currie died?) as the NZ shipping records are fairly haphazard and I haven't found any definite record of her stopping in Australia. She married John Cunningham McLean in 1897 "in the house of Mrs James Barr" and one of the witnesses was "A. Currie, dressmaker".
At this point I think I've had enough of the Barr's and Curries so I might give your kind offer of more information a miss unless you have anything on James Barr (Thomas' younger brother) or Thomas' parents William Barr and Susan Simpson.
 If you are interested in the Mary Barr line please PM me and I will ask her if she would like to be in contact with you
Regards
Sue

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 January 10 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue (sorry I called you Pania earlier!),

I see I made a mistake in my "story" too. The William CURRIE you and I have mentioned that married Mary Barr is in fact John CURRIE (Snr's) GRANDSON. oops. Either way you know all those facts pretty well, so probably no need to confuse things further with adding my lineage to it  :).

I wouldn't mind knowing who the Gt Granddaughter of William and Mary is that contacted you though, so if you could PM me with that info, I'd appreciate it, thanks.

I might need your "tree" too to decipher the Barr/Currie/Crawford crossovers. I see what you mean about overload .Ha.

Thanks again,
Janine

Offline pania

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 January 10 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine
Unfortunately I don't have an email for the gt granddaughter of Mary Barr as we have contacted each other via ancestry.co.uk. I have sent her another message letting her know there might be interesting information on rootschat.com.
At the moment my online family tree (on Ancestry) is very basic and doesn't go back very far and only includes the direct line with no siblings etc. Do you want access? All the details of the Barr and Crawford families are on a piece of paper, and I only have details of the Currie's as they impact on the Barr family.
Will try to put in order so that it can be followed logically and will then let you know
Regards
Sue

Offline 22dave

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 January 10 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine

Are you sure about your 'mistake'. Wasn't the William that married Mary Barr the son of John Currie (Senior) ie the one born around 1819, or are you taking the John Currie (1785) as the Senior?

Regards
David

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 January 10 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue. Ok I will wait and see if this person contacts me via RootsChat then. Thanks.

And no worries about that tree. As I say it was only out of interest that I wanted to view the connections. If you get something sorted then thats cool, but otherwise, there is no rush. Cheers.

Hi David,
yes I am sure about the William Currie who migrated to NZ. William was born 1846 and married Mary Barr in 1865 (the same yr they migrated). William's parents were John Currie (Jnr. b. 1819) and Margaret Sproul. His Grandfather was John Currie (Snr b. 1787) and grandmother was Janet Campbell.

As usual the continuation of family names has us all getting muddled up! Ha.

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 09 March 10 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Sue (if you're still watching this one)

I have quite a bit of new info for James BARR, brother to Thomas BARR. If you are interested, let me know and I will PM you with it all.

Or alternatively I can post it here, for others to view...

Cheers, Janine

Offline Timetraveller77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 06:16 GMT (UK) »
Sue,
I re-read your blurb about the Barr's and Curries.

I hope you are still open to getting new information for the families because I have a family member in NZ who has clarified that the Janet Montgomery BARR who emigrated to Christchurch NZ is in fact the daughter of James BARR and Agnes CRAWFORD.

Janet was their youngest child, born 1866 North Bute.
She married John Cunningham MCLEAN on the 27 Dec 1897 (date source: BDM NZ historical site).

I have kindly been given a copy of the book "The Farmers of Bute", written by William B Martin in 1951. He was the grandson of William Barr Jnr (brother to James Barr above) and Rebecca Duncan. This book mentions a lot of the family's of Bute, including his ancestors and some of their personality traits. It's quite cool.

I also have a copy of a burial book for Bute cemeteries, and I can tell you that James Barr is buried in St Colmacs Cemetery, North Bute. He died 25 Sept 1868, age 55.

I have more info as I previously said, so just let me know if you want it.
Hope that helps you out.
Cheers Janine