Author Topic: Cherry in Glasgow  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Sunshinejack

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cherry in Glasgow
« on: Monday 14 March 11 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I know this is probably a long shot...

I'm looking for any info on an Elizabeth Cherry, born 1891 in Glasgow, Scotland.

From about 1909, she is a domestic servant living in Nova Scotia, Canada and we know alot about what she did over here but not so much about her early days.

On a couple passenger lists her destination in Scotland is 15 Dunblane St, Glasgow visiting her brother J Cherry.

On another passenger list in 1935 it had:

Family Name: Hepburn (Cherry now)
Given name:   Stewart  (Elizabeth)

The Stewart Hepburn part is a mystery. In Nova Scotia she appeared single so who was he and what was her connection to him?
Salford/Manchester -Barlow/Cartwright/Teasdale/Leech/Heathcote/Lowe/Howcroft/Kendrick
Monyash - Heathcote
Warwickshire - Dunkley
Lancaster - Baldwin
Lincolnshire - Booth
Caernarvonshire,Wales - Morris
Birmingham - Morris/Wesley
Cotswolds - Bridges/Stockwell/Turner/Edgeworth/Sly/Shepherd/Pickering
Ross - Newman/Keeling
Cheltenham - Wesley/Smith/Brownett
Wiltshire - Cooper/Thomas
Thornbury - Shea
Tipperary, Ireland - Shea
Ireland - Teasdale

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Cherry in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunshinejack

The Stewart reference, from the way it is written up on a 1933 manifest, looks to be a middle name for Elizabeth (Elizabeth Stewart Cherry). The 1935 manifest that you mention, again from the way it is written up, seems to imply a surname change for Elizabeth Stewart Cherry (now Hepburn). There is a letter 'm' handwritten above the typed 's' - could she have got married later in life?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Again from the manifests and her contact address in Glasgow. Dunblane Street doesn't show on older maps so I am thinking that this street could well have been the new name for another street. In 1919, on a return trip to Glasgow, she gave 15 Sterling Street as her contact address. Looking at this site www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged3.html which gives new names for old streets shows Stirling Street was renamed Dunblane Street....not indicated when change took place but can help with searches for that address.

I can't see anyone with the surname Cherry on the 1913/14 Valuation Roll at Stirling Street www.theglasgowstory.com/imageview.php?inum=TGSV16212, so maybe family moved there a few years later .

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 14 March 11 14:49 GMT (UK) »
You're in luck...I think!

I think it is likely that Elizabeth Cherry may have had a late marriage to a Mr Hepburn. There is a marriage entry showing on the index at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, the official pay to view site for BMDs for a marriage in Glasgow in 1935 - just at the year cut off to view marriages on line. This is an example of a Scottish marriage cert. from the site to give you an idea of what is contained on a marriage certificate www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/images/famousscots/Marriagekeirhardie.tif

As you will see, they are very informative and should include full names of parents. This will let you work back to her parents and family. There are two possible census entries for different Elizabeth Cherrys born in Glasgow in the right year range, so the marriage cert would let you be certain as to which Elizabeth to follow.

Monica

Offline Sunshinejack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 March 11 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I'm just getting back now.

Thank you so much Monica for your help. This is all great info.
Salford/Manchester -Barlow/Cartwright/Teasdale/Leech/Heathcote/Lowe/Howcroft/Kendrick
Monyash - Heathcote
Warwickshire - Dunkley
Lancaster - Baldwin
Lincolnshire - Booth
Caernarvonshire,Wales - Morris
Birmingham - Morris/Wesley
Cotswolds - Bridges/Stockwell/Turner/Edgeworth/Sly/Shepherd/Pickering
Ross - Newman/Keeling
Cheltenham - Wesley/Smith/Brownett
Wiltshire - Cooper/Thomas
Thornbury - Shea
Tipperary, Ireland - Shea
Ireland - Teasdale

Offline SussexRokx

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 July 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunshinejack,

Sorry I haven't added this sooner (only over 3 years late!), but I've only just joined, having found your post whilst searching for information about my family.

Elizabeth Stewart Cherry was my great aunt, sister to my grand father, John Stewart Cherry. She had two other brothers, Alexander and Joseph - the J Cherry you mention, is Joseph. The Stewart part of the name was used because their grand mother was Jane (sometimes recorded as Jean) Stewart, before she married John Cherry. There is a birth record for another sister, Agnes Stewart Cherry, but I haven't found anymore information, so it appears she may have died as a child.

Elizabeth's father was Alexander Cherry (lithographic printer), and her mother was Agnes Shaw, Agnes later called herself Agnes Shaw Cherry, and Alexander adopted Stewart as his second name - becoming Alexander Stewart Cherry, this was then continued for the next generation.

Elizabeth married later in life (Hepburn), and spent quite a bit of time travelling.

Hope this helps. If you want more information, I may be able to help.  :)