Author Topic: Ripper finally identified!  (Read 12403 times)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
Ripper finally identified!
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 23:44 BST (UK) »
There's an article in the Mail describing some DNA investigations of a shawl found at one of the murders suggesting it was Polish immigrant Aaron Kosminsk.

Have we finally laid the story to rest or is this just another false eureka moment?
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ripper finally identified!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 September 14 01:46 BST (UK) »
Um, very interesting.  ;)

In one breath Russell Edwards said he was not interested in writing books or films related to this, but right there at the bottom of the page I see his book will be released on September 9th. A little bit of credibility lost for me.

I have heard of Kosminski before and knew he had been a suspect.

Not sure what I think about the claim that he is the killer and this shawl provides the proof. It looks to be in remarkably good condition for a delicate article of this age. The fact that it survived unwashed for over 100 years seems incredible. Too incredible? I would also have expected it to have been soaked in blood given the ferocity of the attack.

And just because both of their DNA was on the shawl, does that necessarily mean he was the killer? She was a prostitute and may have had professional dealings with him.

It's a good story though and I would like to believe it. Evidence sounds convincing, and you would not think that the researcher would put his reputation and career on the line by distorting the evidence ....

I wonder if this is adversely affect the ripper trade? Half the 'romance' and mystery surrounding the murders was due to the fact that the killer was never found.

Added: i just thought of the letters alleged to have been sent to police by 'Jack' ... does the writing and wording of these suggest they were written by a Polish immigrant? Is there anything written by Kosminski possibly related to his asylum admission or time spent there, which can compared to the writing in 'Jack's' letters? This would be my next area of research .... ;)
Added: just had a quick look at a couple of the Ripper letters online. They seem to be in different hands and vary in style and phrasing. Some sound 'Cockney' to me, but the From Hell letter is a little more convincing regarding writing style, words used etc, to have been written by an Eastern European.
Just my thoughts .... :)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 September 14 06:17 BST (UK) »
Very analytical Ruskie. What I know is that is probably was not a member of the Royal Family. Too well documented in the their daily comings and goings.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 September 14 07:48 BST (UK) »
by indentifying him (supposedly) that has taken all the fun out of trying to work out who he was  ;D
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:50 BST (UK) »
I was led to believe that he was a Scotsman, "Jock the Ripper" :-X :-X

Regards

Malky

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 September 14 08:59 BST (UK) »
by indentifying him (supposedly) that has taken all the fun out of trying to work out who he was  ;D
Bev

;D

I never did believe the Ripper was a member of the Royal family either Barry, nor anyone of high esteem such as Walter Sickert.

My daughter thinks that the scarf could have been payment for services rendered. if DNA of both were on the scarf that does not prove Kosminski was the killer. I would also be interested to know what else they extracted from the scarf - anyone else's DNA?

Was this a man's scarf? Presumably it was?

I find the Michaelmas scarf and timings of the murders to coincide with Michaelmas a bit far fetched.  ::) And if dates are of significance to Kosminski what explanations can be offered for the dates of the other murders?

Odd that the results of these tests appear to have been known since 2011 or 2012, but have only now been released to the press. With the book coming out in a couple of days, the revelation that the Ripper has been identified is excellent timing.  ;D

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 14 09:47 BST (UK) »
I wonder if some expert can identify the age of the shawl?
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline barmaid1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
I read that the age of the shawl had been traced to the early 19thC and was probably from Eastern Europe.  Apparently, this was done by tracing the dyes and threads used.

I have no doubt that science is advanced sufficiently to be able to extract and identify DNA from a 126 year old article.  However, the sceptic in me (and the lawyer) also leads me to think that it proves nothing other than both Kosminski and Eddowes came into contact with the scarf.  This is hardly surprising as someone resembling Kosminski was seen near the murder scene.

It is a brilliant find in terms of what science can do, but I think it goes a bit far to state that Kosminski has been "nailed" as the Ripper at last.
Plant - Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Lincolnshire
Bothamley, Pateman, Roffe,  - Northamptonshire
Thurlby, Baker, Kilbon - Lincolnshire
Hurry, Bishop - Cambridgeshire
Pretty, Coulson - Rutland
Shaw - Nottinghamshire
De Rippe - Rutland, Middlesex, Carlow

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 14 17:07 BST (UK) »
The DNA evidence proves only one thing, some people are gullible enough to believe anything.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.