Author Topic: The Stuart Family of Leigh, Lancashire - Gateshead - Twechar, Scotland  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Stuart Family of Leigh, Lancashire - Gateshead - Twechar, Scotland
« on: Monday 08 September 14 16:45 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested to hear from anybody who is descended from this family?

My great grandfather was Frank Stuart. He was born 2nd April 1894 at Leigh, Lancashire. He was a coal miner.
He married Margaret Barron, 19th November 1910 at Newcastle upon Tyne. They migrated to Twechar, Scotland in 1911.
Frank served in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders on the Western Front 1914-1918. He disappeared, presumed dead around 1922, aged 28 years.

Frank’s parents were William & Ellen Stuart (nee: Johnson) married 17th June 1883 at Leigh, Lancashire.

William Stuart was born 30th June 1852 at Wigan, Lancashire. He died 28th December 1940 at Gateshead, County Durham, aged 88 years. He was a coal miner.

Ellen Johnson was born 20th October 1857 at Prescot, Lancashire. She died 27th June 1899 at Leigh, Lancashire, aged 41 years. 

William & Ellen had three children together who reached adulthood.

i)   Elizabeth Stuart. Born Leigh, Lancashire 1883. She married George Walker 22nd October 1904 at Beamish, County Durham.  She died 19th December 1963 at Gateshead, County Durham.

ii)   Frank Stuart. Born 1894 (see above).

iii)   Fred Stuart. Born Leigh, Lancashire 29th January 1896.
Fred served in the Royal Naval Division at Gallipoli and the Western Front between 1915-1918. The Royal Navy from 1919-1929 and possibly WWII?
Fred married Mary Ann Swan 24th December 1927 at Leigh, Lancashire. He died 19th February 1979 at Leigh, Lancashire, aged 83 years.

Frank Stuart also had three older half-siblings from his mother’s first marriage to James Taylor in 1875.

i)   Ann Jane Taylor. Born Leigh, Lancashire 1877. She married Joseph Melling 22nd June 1901 at Leigh, Lancashire. She died 6th November 1947 at Leigh, Lancashire, aged 70 years.

ii)   William Henry Taylor. Born St Helen’s, Lancashire 1878. He married Deseret Sarah Haughton 25th January 1902 at Leigh, Lancashire. He died 13th November 1938 at Leigh, Lancashire, aged 60 years.

iii)   Darius Taylor. Born Leigh, Lancashire 1880. He married (1) Margaret Stowell 5th May 1900 at Leigh, Lancashire. (2) Sarah Alice Hill 5th December 1911 at Leigh, Lancashire. He died 6th September 1947 at Leigh, Lancashire, aged 67 years.

Best Wishes
Patrick

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Stuart Family of Leigh, Lancashire - Gateshead - Twechar, Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 September 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Do you know if Frank and Margaret had any children born in twechar.My sister has lived in twechar for nearly 40 years .

marguerite

Offline Patrick B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 September 14 07:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Marguerite

Frank & Margaret had 4 children all born at Canal Row, Twechar.

William (Billy) born 1911
Frank born 1913
Margaret (Peggy) born 1919
Ellen (Ella) born 1921

With the exception of Ellen the children were all baptised at Twechar Parish Church of Scotland.

With the disappearance/death of Frank in 1922 the family moved quickly back to Northumberland.

Thanks

Patrick

Offline Croy Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 September 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Patrick

Thats a pity they moved.I go to twechar every week and pass over the canal and by the Church.

Lovely wee village.Everyone talks to you.Could have got you some info if they had still lived there.

Marguerite