Author Topic: Are these two related?  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Are these two related?
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 17:44 BST (UK) »
Following my brief thread on Barmour, this is a little more complicated.

James Mather was quite an interesting man, having owned the Endeavour and at least one of the First Fleet that sailed to Australia, while running a whaling company. I'm trying to establish whether he was a cousin of Rebecca and Thomas Mather, particulalrly (see later) as they both moved to London from Northumberland.

1. When Thomas Mather (1736-1776/7) died, the executor of his will was James Mather. Thomas was the commander of the ship Pitt of London, who named (amongst others), his wife Margaret; and his mother and two sisters who lived in Newcastle).

2. Thomas' sister married Christopher Watson, a shipwright/boatbuilder, who invented the floating dry dock in 1785. Christopher Watson often built boats for James Mather who was something of a business partner.

3. James Mather named one of his daughters Frances, the name of Thomas and Rebecca's mother.
The last point is fairly unimportant, but it seems clear that James and Thomas/Rebecca were close, so it is possible that they were related, Mather not being a particularly common name.

James Mather's will (1796) mentions six children, his wife, and sister Margaret; and, through apprentice records it can be shown that James was the son of Alexander Mather, a farmer of Twizell, Durham, who had died by 1765. James' baptism is almost certainly the one in 1737 in Norham (2/3 miles from Twizell).

Thomas/Rebecca's baptisms - and those of their siblings - were in Newcastle from 1732-1741 children of Robert and Frances (nee Unthank) Mather.

Can anyone link Robert Mather of Newcastle with Alexander Mather of Norham? I can see some possible baptisms for each (such as Robert b 1706 Longframlington whose mother's maiden name is Unthank, the same as Robert's future wife, Frances), but not to the same father. Or shouldn't I be trying to link them? Perhaps it's all just a co-incidence of surnames.

Richard

Just to confuse the issue, a James Mather, son to Peter Mather, husbandman of Barmoor, was apprenticed to the original James Mather in 1770 in London.

All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Are these two related?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:24 BST (UK) »
Not a simple five minute look up ,
You will have to research each family line to find a connection , if any,

one little note though, it was reported ,
 one Alexander Mather , who was apprenticed  to Robert Robertson a wright absconds from his place of work in Feb 1737,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 09:49 BST (UK) »
Not a simple five minute look up ,

Indeed, as I realise.

Apart from any comments on whether the link between the Mathers was likely I was looking for any sightings of Robert and/or Alexander in Northumberland, as I was finding it hard to see any.

Thanks for your mention of Alexander, although you don't say where it was. Interesting that yours was a wright (as was Christopher Watson), but 'my' Alexnader appears to be a farmer.

Richard

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 14 16:36 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Robert Mather and Frances Unthank was by License. The License is on Familysearch. Robert is a bachelor, Gentleman, Frances is a spinster. Both of Newcastle All Saints. Marriage Bond guarantor was a Thomas Mather, a Currier/Tanner (its in Latin, Coriarium).

A Thomas Mather, Currier, died Newcastle 31 May 1764, aged 81. His Will is indexed on the Durham Wills website, and a copy of the will is on Familysearch. A wealthy man. Mentions various Ridley grandchildren and great grandchildren living in Newcastle and London, and son in law Thomas Gunn, but no mention of Mather children or grandchildren.

Alan.
Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 14 18:41 BST (UK) »
Excellent; thank you very much.

I had looked on Familysearch but thought it said there wasn't an image for the marriage. The will is new to me though (Thomas Gunn married Jane Mather).

Richard

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 August 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Richard,

To find the Marriage License :

On Familysearch you need to scroll down below the normal search facility to the map of the world and click on the map of Britain.
Then click on England.
Then click on Start Researching in England.
Then scroll down and click on England, Durham Diocese, Marriage Bonds and Allocations
and go from there.

It was the same day or a day or two before the marriage, I can't remember.

Loads of good stuff, parish records, marriage licenses and wills etc. on there. The wills are in the same place. Google Durham Wills project for the indexing to find them quicker. Let me know if you get stuck.

There is a Probate, also on Durham Wills and Familysearch, for the death of a Robert Mather, a Staithman, of Hewetts Burn, Newcastle All Saints, 1744. Probate in the name of his Widow, Frances Mather, also sponsors are John Mather, Tailor, of Newcastle All Saints, and Richard Brice, City of Durham, Gentleman.

Also a probate for a Christopher Mather, 1765, a Currier of Newcastle St. Nicholas. States he’s the son of Thomas Mather, Currier, deceased, and claiming probate are the same Thomas Gunn and Richard Ridley named on Thomas Mathers Will the year before.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 August 14 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks again; all very helpful.

I'll look on Familysearch later.

R

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
I've just read all the wills (I see they were put on fairly recently which might explain why I couldn't see them earlier) and it seems certain that my Mathers were in Newcastle itself for several generations, while James Mather's forebears were from the Berwick area. Somewhat surpisingly, therefore, it looks as if James M and Rebecca/Thomas M were distant cousins at best.

One unanswered question is how Frances and her five children survived when Robert died: the children were between two and eleven when he died in 1743, and Frances didn't remarry (as a 1767 will shows). One would have thought that Robert's wealthy father who had, according to a newspaper 'acquired a healthy fortune with good character', would have stepped in; and yet he didn't mention any of hem in his will. Was that the reason why three of them left for London? We will never know.

Richard

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
A couple more possibilities.

Frances Unthank appears to be the daughter of Thomas Unthank, baptized Newcastle St. John, 13 August 1713. Thomas Unthank married Jane Forster, 6  Oct 1712, Newcastle St. John (by License again).

The probate record for Thomas Unthank of Newcastle, 5 March 1735. Claiming Probate are his widow Jane Unthank, Arnold Unthank - Yeoman of Nun Riding, Northumberland, and Robert Mather – Yeoman of Dents Hole, Northumberland.

There is a possible remarriage for Frances. By License at St Margarets Church Durham. Frances Mather, age 26, Widow, of St. Margarets, Durham, married Robert Turnbull/Trumble, 22, Bachelor, Clock Maker of Newcastle St. Nicholas. 9 July 1744.

5 years too young for your Frances, but she is marrying a younger chap so could have told a fib. Can’t see any other suitable earlier marriage for a Frances marrying a Mather. Frances must have had connections to Durham City, Richard Brice who jointly applied for Robert Mathers Probate was from there. Must have been a relative or a trusted friend.

Alan.
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Ireland - Collins