Author Topic: Searching Kirkwood Siblings separated in Smyllum Park Ayrshire 1950's.  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Kirkwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello all,

Quick rundown. My father was born Derek Kirkwood on July 5th 1948 in Kilmarnock Maternity Home. His birth certificate states the mother is a Edith Kirkwood who was a fishmongers assistant. No father was listed.

My father had a brother called "James" who he believes was a year younger and a sister who was younger still called "Isobel" (not sure if this is the correct spelling).

In the early 1950's the three siblings were taken into care to Smyllum Park Orpanage. My father still to this day does not know why and Ayrshire Social Services have been none too helpful either. However he does have recollections of the three youngsters suffering from neglect and lack of food.

That's when everything went really wrong. My father has told me of the things which happened to him in that place and was still able to show me scars he's been left with. Not to mention the mental torture. Him being punished when his younger sister wet the bed.

About a year later he was told that his sister had been transferred to an institution due to "mental issues" (she was around 3yr old). He never saw her again.

Following that a couple of years later his brother was adopted by a family in Helensburgh and he has never seen him again either.

My father was separated from his siblings and left to deal with the abuse in that place until he went to sea at 15 and joined the merchant Navy.

When the court case arose my father contacted Cameron Fyfe in the hope that he could finally get some answers to why he had been taken into care. And what had happened to his brother and sister. He doubted his sister was even still alive. We also contacted INCA's in the hope of some answers but no one could tell us anything.

When the case was dropped due to it being time barred my father contacted Ayrshire Social Services requesting under the Freedom of Information Act all information they held about him, why he was taken into care and all information they held about his siblings.

Social Services replied that if he sent them a £10 cheque they would see what information they had regarding him but he was not entitled to any information regarding his siblings.

So we sent the cheque off but of course it got lost in the post and they also claimed that they had no records relating to my dads time in Smyllum Park as they didn't keep records.

So we decided to try ourselves. Using The ScotlandsPeople site we tried to create some sort of picture. You have no idea how many "James", "Isobel", "Isabel" and also "Isabella". I have pages and pages of certificates. But it still doesn't just fit together.

The most important thing to my father was finding out what happened to his brother and sister. Unfortunately he died last August with those questions unanswered. So its something I really want to do and try and trace back as far as possible.

We don't even know if his mother was married as it was only her name on the birth certificate so I'm guessing not.

Also I question my fathers dates as I have found 2 James Kirkwood's born in Ayr but the same year as him or there is a a James Kirkwood in 1947 or 1951?  My father also thinks that his brothers name will have been changed.

As for his sister I've not found any death certificates that fit in with my Dads theory but that means nothing really. I have found 2 birth certificates for an Isabel Kirkwood in Ayr that could fit. One for 1949 and one for 1950 but still leaves the timing a bit out?

I've contacted every possible James/Jim/Isobal possible through facebook but nothing so far.

As for his mother I've found one Edith Kirkwood born 1907 and one Edith Lillian Kirkwood born 1908 but both in Edinburgh and my Dad always gave the impression his family were from Ayrshire.

Well I have 5 pages of certificates to go over again so if anyone has any suggestion they'd be appreciated.

Is there some way I  can upload the certificates I've paid for? Always good to have a fresh pair of eyes?

Just wanted to add also. My first thought was that the children were illegitimate? But surely not 3? So his mother could have married and had a different name? I'm guessing she's probably dead now. I have found two obituaries for Edith (nee) Kirkwood online can't recall the exact dates (but none so recent as to cause any distress to anyone grieving). No clues as to any further back but I've already come up with a few scenarios?

Thanks for listening.

Kerry

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Searching Kirkwood Siblings separated in Smyllum Park Ayrshire 1950's.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 April 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

So sad a story.

Just for background here on RC and previous commentary www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=468949.0 and a little more here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=304816.0

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kirkwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 April 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks so much I'll have a look now.

Kerry  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:04 BST (UK) »
Kerry, are you local to one of the main genealogy centres in Scotland where you can view more recent certificates online? If not, this type of search is exhausting and expensive  :-\

Monica

Offline Kirkwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:06 BST (UK) »
I live in Edinburgh. I believe there is one here. I'm sure I read that on here today?

Offline Kirkwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:08 BST (UK) »
Kerry, are you local to one of the main genealogy centres in Scotland where you can view more recent certificates online? If not, this type of search is exhausting and expensive  :-\

Monica

Thanks for your answers Monica,

I didn't realise that I could access more recent certificates?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hurray if you are in Edinburgh...exactly where you have to be!

The Scotlands People Centre with direct access to the GROS via terminals including being able to access the more recent BMDs outside of the period where you can normally access them currently due to privacy issues - see www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&413

Whatever shows as currently not available online now, you can view at the SP centre in person. Let me get the more relevant details, I will post back.

Monica

Offline Kirkwood1978

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
The ScotlandsPeople centre is not too far from me.

A full day search pass at 7hrs is £15 and you are correct...

There's so much more you can do at the Centre compared with using the internet.

—   You will be able to see images of birth, marriage and death records right up to almost the present day. Something which you can't see online.

Excellent Thanks

Kerry

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 April 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
This is the main link here www.scotlandspeoplehub.gov.uk/

Book a day/terminal access, currently £15. You can get through as many BMDs as you can in a day including all the more recent registrations. You can't photocopy off the screen the more recent ones, but you can anotate everything from what you see. Go prepared and clear headed.

I will let you go through the site's notes...

Monica  :)

Added: sorry, just seen your last post. Sounds like you are in a good place to proceed...