Author Topic: Alexander Anderson b.1792, Clyne.Looking for death record in Sorn Parish.  (Read 10012 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Anderson b.1792, Clyne.Looking for death record in Sorn Parish.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I actually live about about 10 miles from Sorn. But it's a place I'm rarely at because it is sort of out of the way in a rural location.
I will try and find out about burials for you. There is a small church at Sorn  - http://www.scotlandschurchestrust.org.uk/church/sorn-parish-church

I noticed the mass christenings recorded on Family Search -
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY7W-LZQ
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTKK-SV5

There are similar on the site for John, George, Jean, William and Agnes Caldow(the girl who must have died).
Looby :)
PS. I'll get back to you when I can with more info

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby,
Buying Credits at SP, hopefully with fresh names, I can find out more.
You have been a great help.
Jax

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
Seeing all the kids being christened on the one day with the eldest being 13 makes me wonder if the parents were changing religious denomination??
Perhaps Alexander and Marion were baptized too??
Of course during this period of "Scottish Dissenters" many people had moved away from the established Church of Scotland.
Looby :)

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hey,
I had the same thought.
Mass immigration and Faith change..Protestant to Catholic....
Maybe I need to look at Catholic Cemeteries over there..
There is historical evidence that the "Highland" Anderson clan left the highlands in the 17th Century and moved to the lowlands...Kicked out by the Sutherlands..And moved to the Aberdeen area as the Farquharson(Sp.) Clan variant...I believe that this is where my Andersons came from..I had some people on the Sutherlands Ancestry board help me find this..

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
In this area, and at that time, it would be more likely Catholic to Protestant. The church in Sorn would be/is a Protestant Church. Or they may have been involved with a non-Conformist Church - http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?448
Looby

Added- the 7 baptisms are on Scotlands People - I did a free search

Offline jaxoncanine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 April 14 13:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Looby,
I Thought the Established Church went from Protestant to Presbyterian, although the RC was established about the same time, war of the Roses and all that...Around 1829 The RC church was allowed to establish inheritance and Tax laws...I assumed that this would spur Catholic converts...Interesting, I have been looking at it backwards...You are most helpful..Thanks again.
 :) Jax.

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Hope this might help. A privately printed book, "Records of a Family of Andersons of Peterhead" (1936) shows William Anderson in Brora, Sutherland, and his wife Margaret Squire as having 7 children. One is Alexander and all the book says about him is that he went to Ayrshire and had "a large family". The Clyne OPR confirms an Alexander baptised 31 Dec 1787 "son of William Anderson and Margaret Square [sic] in Brora".
I am certain he is the man you are looking for and that he understated his age by five years in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses - probably not wishing to appear that much older than his wife, or perhaps just vanity. There are trees on Ancestry (not that I trust them much) that will give you William's ancestry.
I am descended from one of William's brothers. We never knew what became of the Ayrshire Andersons and thought there were no male Andersons left. It's so nice to know I was wrong.
Best wishes
Pozzo

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 April 15 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Hope this might help. A privately printed book, "Records of a Family of Andersons of Peterhead from 1560" (1936) lists seven children of a William Anderson in Brora, Sutherland, and his wife Margaret Squire. One of them is Alexander who went to Ayrshire and "had a large family" - no further details given. However, the Clyne OPR confirms an "Alexander son of William Anderson and Margaret Square [sic] in Brora" baptised on 31 Dec 1787. I'm certain he's the man you are looking for and that he understated his age in both the 1841 and 1851 censuses (not unknown!) - perhaps to conceal the fact that he was so much older than his wife, or perhaps just vanity. There are trees on Ancestry (not that I ever trust them much) that give William's ancestry (correctly) for a few generations. I am descended from William's brother John.
The Andersons are a most interesting family and were the founders of the Orient Line of steamers.
I always wondered what happened to the Ayrshire branch and we assumed there were no male Andersons left now. It's a pleasure to know I'm obviously wrong.
I'm happy to exchange further info.
Best wishes
Pozzo

Offline Pozzo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 April 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
A book, "Records of a Family of Andersons of Peterhead from 1560" (privately printed 1936), lists 7 children of a William Anderson in Brora, Sutherland, and his wife Margaret Squire. One of them is Alexander who "went to Ayrshire and had a large family" - no further details given. The Clyne OPR confirms an Alexander "son of William Anderson and Margaret Square [sic] in Brora" baptised 31 Dec 1787. I'm certain he is the man you are looking for and that he (as often happened) understated his age in the 1841 and 1851 censuses - perhaps to hide the fact that he was 17 years older than his wife, or just vanity.
There are public trees on Ancestry (which by the way I'm always wary of trusting) that will give you (correctly) William's ancestry back another few generations. I am descended from his brother John.
The Andersons are a most interesting family - they founded the Orient Line of steamers.
I often wondered what became of the Ayrshire branch and thought there were no male Andersons left now. It's a pleasure to know I was obviously wrong!
Happy to exchange further info.
Pozzo