Author Topic: Two Alexander Pollocks  (Read 6691 times)

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Two Alexander Pollocks
« on: Friday 16 May 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
I have Alexander Pollock. Born, probably Ireland abt 1806.   His death cert says he died at Dipple Kirkoswald  Ayrshire, 21 December 1890, aged 84. He was a casual labourer, married to Catherine Robertson. His parents, Alexander Pollock and Elizabeth Caddon. He is a brother to my g g grandfather William Pollock. There is another Alexander Pollock who married 1839, Catherine Nicol. He was a Weaver in Dipple and his parents Alexander Pollock and Elizabeth Quinn. Some trees on Ancestry seem to have mixed up the two Alexanders. To confuse things even more, the informant on "my Alexander's" death cert is "Alex Rowan son in law" This Alex appears to be married to the daughter of the second Alexander.Can anybody help me sort this out? Although the second Alexander and his family appear on the census from 1841 on, I can't find anything about "my Alexander"
                               Marg.
masson:aberdeen
pollock:ayrshire
Scott:Dorset
Weatherley:hertfordshire
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Two Alexander Pollocks
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 May 14 00:17 BST (UK) »
First & foremost - ignore anybody else's tree and do your own research.  A great many trees contain inaccurate info

If Alexander was the brother of your G/G/Grandfather - then their parental details must be the same. 

Did Catherine die and did Alexander re-marry in 1839?  Have you checked that marriage to see if he was a widower

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 May 14 00:21 BST (UK) »
The 1851 entry shows a Catherine Robson mother in law b Ireland
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 May 14 01:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick reply, Carol. I agree with you re trees! I feel sometimes it is worth a look. The first Alexander (son of Alexander Pollock/Elizabeth Caddon) is a brother of my G G Grandfather.
His wife Catherine Robertson was still living at his death in1890. The second Alexander Died sometime before his wife, who died in 1895.His Catherine was aged 79, and was living at Green Street Newton Ayr. Her parents are William Nicol and Catherine Nicol M.S. Nicol. The m.i.l on the 1851 census would be mother of Catherine Nicol. After spending money on Scotlands People and searching the census, all I seem to be able to find on my Alexander is his death cert.
              Marg.
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 May 14 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Marg,
I wonder if this is your Alexander on the 1841.

Kirkoswald, Ayrshire Old Dowhill.

Alexander Pullock      age 30       Tile Maker        born Ireland
Kathren Pullock                   age 25                              born Ireland
Eliza Pullock                        age 2                                born Ayrshire
Alexander Pullock                age 2 mths                        born Ayrshire

If the couple had Irish accents the Enumerator probably wrote down names as he heard them    pronounce them  ;D

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 May 14 07:37 BST (UK) »
The 1851 entry shows a Catherine Robson mother in law b Ireland

As CaroleW says the family are on the 1851 with Catherine Robson recorded as the mother-in -law of the Head of household.

Kirkoswald, Dipple

Alexander Pollock       Head         42       Cotton Hand Loom Weaver             Ireland
Catharine Pollock        Wife          36       Cotton Hand Loom Weaver's wife   Ireland
Elisabeth Pollock          Dau          12                                                            Kirkoswald , Ayrshire
Alexander Pollock        Son           10                                                                  "                 "
Catharine Pollock         Dau           8                                                                   "                  "
Agness Pollock             Dau           5                                                                    "                 "
William Pollock             Son           2                                                                    "                 "
Catharine Robson    Ma-Law Widow  67   Pauper- formerly House Servant         Ireland
James Pollock          Nephew         11      Cotton Hand Loom Weaver               Girvan, Ayrshire

Both 1841 and 1851 transcriptions can be found on Freecen   www.freecen.org.uk.
Don't narrow down 1851 search with place name of Kirkoswald. Just search all of Ayrshire. 1851 only searchable by county - not individual places  ???
Originals will be on Scotlands People.

Offline margmasson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 May 14 07:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you,Looby. The misspelling of Pollock is interesting. I think these are the family of Alexander, son of Alexander Pollock and Elizabeth Quinn. "my Alexander" is the son of Alexander Pollock and Elizabeth Caddon. I think my man may have married in Ireland also. Have not been able to find a marriage on Scotlands People for him or any children. No luck on Family Search either.
                                             Marg.
Direen Tipparery
Healy Clare

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 May 14 08:46 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused Marg - Your man is married to a Catherine Robertson  - is that correct?
The Alexander Pollock on the 1851 has a mother -in-law Catharine Robson. I wonder again if this is a corruption of the name Robertson.

Although at this stage I can't be sure and a bit more digging needs to be done but I suspect there is only 1 Alexander Pollock born in Ireland and living in Kirkoswald.

Both Alexander's have a father called Alexander and a mother called Elizabeth (different maiden names).
Both Alexander's have a wife Catherine (different maiden names)
Both Alexander's born in Ireland approx. same age.

Kirkoswald is not and was not a large place  :-\

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 17 May 14 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi again Marg,

I've carried out a free search on Scotlands People looking for the death of the Catharine Robson (mother in law) on the 1851 Census.

There is a result for a death of a Robertson forename begining Cath... other name Nicol age 79 in 1867 at Kirkoswald. I wonder if that is the m-in-law of Alexander Pollock and the mother of Catherine Nicol.
The older Catherine could have a maiden name of Nicol, or she could have been married twice - first to Nicol then to a Robertson. Then again it may not be her at all!
But that death entry may be worth looking at  :-\

I do wonder if there is just a bit of a mix up with maiden names.
Same applies to Elizabeth Quinn/ Elizabeth Caddon - I wonder if she is the same woman.
Of course I could be completely wrong * blushes profusely *