Author Topic: East Grinstead Gravestone Photos?  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
East Grinstead Gravestone Photos?
« on: Sunday 01 June 14 20:26 BST (UK) »

Does anyone on here live in or near East Grinstead & is able to do Gravestone Photos?

Bit of a longshot I know...but it would be greatly appreciated. (I have done this for RC Members looking in SW.Herts).

My 4x GreatGrandparents William and Amelia PATTENDEN spent their lives in East Grinstead.

William Pattenden is buried at East Grinstead St Swithins with a memorial reading 'Wm Pattenden 29 Mar 1852 age 66yrs'.

Amelia Pattenden is buried at East Grinstead Cemetery: AMELIA PATTENDEN     occupation Widow,aged 78yrs Died at East Grinstead Sackville College, Burial 1st May 1869.     

(William’s gravestone and Amelia’s are from the Sussex Family History Group Monumental Inscription database).

Rather annoyingly, I visited East Grinstead a few weeks ago, but didn't have this info... I hope to visit again next Autumn or the following Spring.

Cheers, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: East Grinstead Gravestone Photos?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 June 14 21:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Are you sure those records are not taken from the burial registers ? The only reason I ask is that the gravestone photo's for East Grinstead St Swithuns is complete on website below and I can't find them

http://www.gravestonephotos.com

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 June 14 08:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are you sure those records are not taken from the burial registers ? The only reason I ask is that the gravestone photo's for East Grinstead St Swithuns is complete on website below and I can't find them
claire

Thanks for the Link Claire.

The notes on those Pattenden Burials were passed on to me. Perhaps you're right, and they were taken from Burial Records, - I just don't know...:-(

I wish I lived nearer!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 June 14 22:36 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Hi

claire

Ive searched for st swithuns on the site you gave Claire, it says no results for that cemetery.

A name search shows only 5 Pattendens buried in EG, all in Queens rd.

I shall be in EG on sunday, if I have time I will go and have a look. Can't promise though as I am taking part in the county individual shooting championships. I don't live far away so may be able to go some other time.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 06:59 BST (UK) »

Many thanks John, - that's very kind of you.

No problem if you don't have time... William and Amelia PATTENDEN have been there for a long time now, - and I don't think they'll be going anywhere in a hurry. :)

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

It's a pleasure Romilly, especially as I have a Pattenden in my tree. Only one so far, Lucy born 1715. Mar James Haffenden 16 sep 1753. Havn't gone any further back yet.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
Good Morning John,

I don't know whether you've come across this handout by the Felbridge Family History Group on the Pattenden Family?

See: http://www.felbridge.org.uk/index.php?p=2_59

When I was stuck with Mary Pattenden's parents, as well as help from on here, I emailed Karen Taylor, (Née Pattenden) who has compiled a Pattenden Family Tree. (I think that her contact details are on that handout, but if you can't find them, PM me and I will pass it on).

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 20:55 BST (UK) »

Hi Again John,

Further to my last post...

I have ferreted about in a few Pattenden Trees, - and I think this might be your Lucy Pattenden:

Pattenden, Lucy
b. 27 MAR 1717 East Grinstead Sussex England
d. 1793 East Grinstead Sussex
Parents:
Father: Pattenden, Samuel
Mother: Waggone, Elizabeth
Family:
Marriage: 16 SEP 1735 Withyham Sussex
Spouse: Haffenden, James
b. 1708
d. 1753

And so I think that we are looking at the same Pattendens.

Best Wishes, Romilly.

Researching:

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 June 14 13:56 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon Romilly,

Decided to go to East Grinstead instead of Crawley for the shopping. Then went up to St Swithuns for a look around. Checked one side of the church with no luck then went in to see if a plan existed. It does but is kept in the office which is only open weekdays.

Spoke to a very nice cleaning lady, turned out to be the vicars wife, who was very helpful. She said there is a St Swithuns web site with a contact us link. She said tell them what we want to know and they will give us what info we need. http://www.swithun.webeden.co.uk/home/4540427534 Wlliams grave is just the other side of the porch under the first window beyond.

Went back out to check the other side and there was William just under one of the windows. No sign of Amelia, however, given the empty space at the bottom of the headstone, she may be in the same grave but nothing was ever put on the stone.

John915
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)