Author Topic: A bit of a puzzle  (Read 29472 times)

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A bit of a puzzle
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 March 14 17:30 GMT (UK) »
HELLO Bedfordshireboy
                          Am a bit puzzled.most of my information comes from family search org.website
 are you telling me its all wrong what i have
                 mike
selby.yorkshire.
names.smith.hobman.lazenby.earl.abbey.walton.russell.to name a few.

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 March 14 17:49 GMT (UK) »
HELLO
       This is what had
       MARY KNIGHT         38
        JOHN KNIGHT          38
         SALLY WARREN      77
         PATRINA PEACOCK    40. Also says Johannes Peacock. Is a death saying female found.
           MARY PEACOCK     40
            VAHHUI  PEACOCK   19
            BELA PEACOCK        14
             EVELYN  PEACOCK   11
              JOHANNES PEACOCK   10
            HELLEN WARREN   
                                            MIKE

Should have said found a burial for Johannes Peacock. But this stated was a female in Riseley. Also the Warren family married into Peacock so not strange to see them there in 1840.
selby.yorkshire.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 17 March 14 20:21 GMT (UK) »

are you telling me its all wrong what i have

Yes, I think it's probably wrong.

The IGI on familysearch is just an index, and you can't just pluck out names that are right when the place is totally wrong without doing some research using parish registers.

My problem areas:

- I can't find a baptism for Johannes Peacock, so can't link him to Thomas and Mary who married in Riseley in 1793. Without this it's pure speculation. Have you checked the marriage entry in the parish register to see if a parish of residence other than Riseley is given, and to see who the witnesses were?
- if Mary Litchfield was 21 when she married then I doubt that her husband was one of the Thomas's baptised before 1750, although it's not impossible. Where do you get his birth being in 1747 from? Just an assumption? But he's much more likely to have been the one baptised in Riseley in 1747 than others baptised around the same time in other parts of the county.
- he can't have been the son of Thomas and Sarah from Lower Gravenhurst, if as you say, Sarah was buried in 1745. Lower Gravenhurst is only a couple of miles from Barton in the Clay, so it seems likely to have been the same couple. But Riseley is 20 miles from Lower Gravenhurst.
- it's a recipe for disaster to pick out a Sarah Whittamore baptised in Staffs and assume she was the one who married in Barton in the Clay, Beds. How about Sarah Whitamer baptised 1708 in Haynes, 6 or so miles away? But it's academic as I'm sure this isn't your line.

But first you have to establish who Johannes was. He may well have been the son of Thomas and Mary. In 1841 he was a blacksmith. In the 1803 Muster List for Riseley there's only one male Peacock listed - Thomas Peacock, blacksmith, married, age 42 with 4 children under 10, one of whom could have been Johannes. Which probably kills off any thoughts that Thomas was born before 1750.

So yes, your tree earlier than Thomas and Mary who married in 1793 is wrong.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 17 March 14 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I found this it doesn't have a Johannes Peacock getting married in Riseley it does however appear to have some of Johannes children's marriages and it states that Johannes was a blacksmith.
http://www.stevengibbs.me.uk/RiseleyMarriages.htm

Found this little bit on another site
According to IGI, Johannes Peacock born 24th February 1752, baptised 27th February 1752 St Peters Street United Brethren or Moravian, Bedford, Bedford(shire) England, son of John Peacock and Mary.

May or may not be the one you are looking for.
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 March 14 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nettie. Interesting find, Johannes, in 1752 in the Moravian Church, as that couple also baptised a Thomas on 14 Dec 1760, born 8 Dec 1760,which fits with Thomas' age in 1803

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 March 14 21:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello David
               Am starting from where my research really starts.with vashni. peacock  born in 1822 .july 16th.baptism riseley.was on 1st july 1827. vashni died in 1890 12th july.
 he married in 1845 on 16th june. Eliza Mary Valentine. My interest follows Charlie Peacock 1855-1923. My Mum grew up with the Peacocks. Were chimney sweeps. Sadly Charlie Peacock has died buried in Rotherham with his wife Lily shforth. My brother asked me to search for Charlie's line backwards. Seems my stumbling block is get the parents of Vashni which are Johannes Peacock a blacksmith and William Valentine is a brickmaker. Can you tell me David how to  correctly find Johannes marriage partner as cannot get out as full time carer and all research is on the computer at home. Thank you for being understanding on a learning family researcher. Not aswered your other query as need to see what you say.
              MIKE
selby.yorkshire.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 March 14 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

Nobody minds you asking questions as we all have to learn somewhere.

Using the IGI at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi and searching for Johannes (tick exact box) Peacock, click on Marriage and put in Bedfordshire (tick exact box) you'll get one hit for the marriage - 15 Jan 1822 at Riseley, Johannes Peacock and Mary Dickins

Riseley marriages up to 1812 are also on Freereg at http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl where there's a bit more detail. The 1793 marriage shows that Thomas was a blacksmith and neither had a parish of residence other than Riseley.

The interesting marriage though was on 26 Dec 1745 between John and Mary Peacock. Was this the John and Mary who baptised children at the Moravian church in Bedford that Nettie found? John and Mary started baptising children at this church in 1749. Thomas and Mary Peacock also baptised children at this church. The link is Silas who was baptised at the Moravian church in 1811 the son of Thomas and Ann and who married in Riseley, son of Thomas blacksmith on 25 Dec 1837 (per the stephengibbs link that Nettie gave), and his census ages indicate a birth of c1812. The big question is who was Ann as the Moravian church baptisms are mainly Thomas and Ann, and what happened to Mary.

Needs a bit more work yet, but I'm pretty sure that Johannes, father of Vashni, was the son of Thomas who married Mary Litchfield, and he was the son of John and Mary. I'll check The history of the Moravian Church in Bedford when I turn in in a few minutes time, to see if there's any mention of a Peacock

David

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 March 14 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I think that Johannes died unmarried

Johannes Peacock S B ; died Riseley Nov 24 1816; bur Bedford Nov 26 1816; aged 64

The bottom of the page is cut off a bit but I think it says S M after his name and that seems to mean single and brother, fairly sure about the single.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline xpq194z

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 March 14 23:34 GMT (UK) »
HI DAVID
          Thank you so much.for shedding a ray of light.on my puzzle.funny have seen .the marriage of  Silas Peacock 25th Dec 1837, bachelor, blacksmith of Riseley. Father Thomas Peacock, also blacksmith. He married Elizabeth Wills (full) spinster also of Riseley, Father John Wills, butcher.
But not studied mucj. Seems the Peacocks were mainly blacksmiths.
Its very good of you for help received. Only trouble is my other half keeps coming in to see where have got to so can really only look at the posts when got her settled for the night. Gets down if I leave her side too long. You must know what it's like once on the computer.
Cheers again
                MIKE
Brew time and tablets.
selby.yorkshire.