Author Topic: Thelverton births  (Read 1904 times)

Offline CarolynWinterburn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Thelverton births
« on: Tuesday 22 April 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have spent a long time ploughing through the birth records in all the places around the Shimpling area and cannot find a birth for William Flint or Phillis Stygall who were married in Shimpling in 1732. They were born around 1712, I assume. Their son William married in Thelverton in 1759 so I am thinking there may be an association with that place. Family search do not have the records between 1639 and 1721.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thelverton births
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Carolyn,

Looking at the Freereg entry for William Flint and Dorcas Knight, Thelveton was the brides parish, and William came from Roydon ....

But looking at the original register, it shows William was of the parish of Boyton, which I thought was in Suffolk.

I also see that they were married by licence, which could give more clues.

If you haven't already seen it, I'll have a look for the marriage bond.

Do you have death dates for either William Flint the elder, or Phillis?

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorklass,

I wondered if his abode was Roydon which is near Diss.

There was a William Flint died in 1751 in Shimpling. I assume, if it is the same William, that he would have been about 40 years old. His son William died when he was only 27 years.  If it is him then it is possible his wife married again but I haven't been able to find any record of it, nor a death for her. There were 2 deaths for a Sarah, Widow, one in 1753 and one in 1756, both in Shimpling but who they were I have no idea.
I did find one birth in Scole in 1711. What do you think? I know a lot of mistakes were made.

Carolyn
Flint Norfolk, Ward Suffolk, Stanton Norfolk, Hunter Norfolk, Winterburn Middlesex, Bowles Norfolk, Boote Staffs, Bossons Cheshire.

Offline Yorkslass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 18:38 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Well done for finding that baptism!

I think it's a pretty good bet - Scole is only a few miles from Shimpling and Thelverton.
Phillis and William did name two of their children John and Elizabeth, didn't they   ... but fairly common names I guess.

There are so many variations of the name Stygall too .....

I'm wondering if Phillis was still alive in 1791, as there was a marriage in Burston (next door to Shimpling) (found on Freereg) of a Rebecca Flint, who I think may have been her granddaughter, and Phillis was a witness.

I did find the marriage bond for William the younger - here's the entry ... though it doesn't help much.
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0yzv/

Yorkslass
Norris, London 1800's
Bird, Gt Yarmouth 1800's
Smowton, Yarmouth/Norwich 1770
Dublack, Yarmouth
Binks, Essex
Wilcock, Lancashire
Kettlewell, Yorkshire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 24 April 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Yorklass,

Thanks for the help. I have never looked at the Marriage Bonds so am pleased that there is another avenue to follow.
I had a look at the Phillis Flint who was the witness but there was also a marriage for a Phillis Flint in Burston in 1795 which, I assume is the same person. It makes you wonder if she was family as the name Phillis seems to be unusual., and it is in the same area, so I will try to trace her ancestry.
Thanks again,
Carolyn