Author Topic: HERON of Northumberland 1650-1750  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Leenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HERON of Northumberland 1650-1750
« on: Wednesday 24 January 07 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I have a Ralph Heron, married 10 April 1699 in Morpeth who died, circa 1740 in Morpeth. While he had six children's births registered in Morpeth: James 1700, John 1704, Joseph 1705, Edward 1707, Isabel 1711 and Ralph 1713, his wife was never named in the listings or marriage recording. I have hit a solid, brick wall with how to trace Ralph backward to his place of birth or his parent's names. The family all remained, mostly, in Morpeth but there's always a chance Ralph hailed from another Northumberland location. I have seen the manuscripts of Rev. Hill and searched the microfilms to no avail.
If anyone happens to have this Ralph in their papers, or has suggestion for further investigation, I'd be in debt for the assistance. It is rumoured that Ralph was connected to the last branch of Herons that owned Chipchase but I've no solid evidence to that other than family letters. He did, however, have a grandson name Ralph of "Bridge End Morpeth" and a great-nephew named Ralph of "Mitford Lodge."
Thank you all.
Regards,
Colleen

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: HERON of Northumberland 1650-1750
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 January 07 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Colleen, its Gladys here and i don`t think we will ever find any more about Ralph.  I was in touch with Derek Cole  a while back off GenesReunited which i didn`t know who he was with just his first name and he said that he would try to get to Northumberland sometime to do some research on Ralph but haven`t heard from him since.  Hope all is  well with you all.   Gladys  :) :)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 04:00 GMT (UK) »
Janis here now--I haven't heard from Derek in over a year.  I'll let you two deal with the Heron's.  I am working on the Cole's.
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 08:18 GMT (UK) »
Okay Janis happy hunting, i am doing parts on my other family and don`t know where to look for Ralph`s birth as i have looked in past years so its a brick wall now.  Gladys  :) :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 January 07 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Two baptisms for you (but some distance from your target area)

Ralph Heron, 24 July 1656, Stockton St. Thomas. Father Ralph

Ralph Herron, 10 September 1671, Stockton St. Thomas.  Father Ralph, mother Elizabeth

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 January 07 10:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jennifer Thanks for sending them tell you the truth i don`t know what to think, that 1671 baptism would fit but Ralph didn`t have an Elizabeth babby and not just that i have the  pedigree and the Morpeth Heron`s which was compiled by the Rev John Paul Hill and his letter of 1987which he said that he might get a researcher which he was 80 then so will never know if he did.  I got them all from Newcastle Library about 5/7 years ago and i looked at Hexham and Corbridge but no Ralph as it said on the pedigree that Ralph supposed to have come from Hexham.  The Rev and his Mother in the 1930s did some researching but he never found Ralph`s baptism.  We will just have to live in hope hoping something turns up as i want to be sure.  Thanks Jennifer. :) :)

Offline Leenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 January 07 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi gladys, Janis (good to hear from you both again)
Thank you, Jennifer, for jumping in with (two) Ralph Herons to add to the possibility list.
Stockton may be a wee bit too far to consider but I won't rule anything out at this point.
Any chip in the brick wall works for me.
Interestingly, Ralph (married 1699) had a son named Ralph, born in 1713, and this son is sometimes found, at LDS sites, married to Francis Scurfield. This branch would take me toward the Corbridge line of Herons. Another long shot but feasible.
Also possible is Ralph (married 1699) having a father named Thomas Heron of Hamsterley.
At any rate, I'll keep this posting rolling along in the hope that someone out there might see it and have the missing link. Surely, Ralph was born to somebody with a name!
Thank for all the help so far,
Colleen

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 January 07 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I would be interested in what you have a little more recently on Ralph Herron, say from 1750-1800 as I have an ancestor Ralph herron also!

Anne
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne, i will get back to you in the morning okay . Gladys :)