Author Topic: Guys of Shropshire  (Read 8212 times)

Offline Mrsj

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Guys of Shropshire
« on: Friday 16 April 04 10:46 BST (UK) »
Anyone know anything about Guys probably from Wombridge or Oakengates? Laura Guy became Taylor then Barber. Her father was James Guy...mother was Caroline Stanworth.

Offline Swift5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Guys of Shropshire
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 04 00:53 BST (UK) »
This may or not be relevant, but is Wombridge more likely to be Ironbridge, which is not too far from Oakengates?
Don't have one yet.

Offline Mrsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Guys of Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 04 16:25 BST (UK) »
I hadnt thought of that although there was and still is as far as I know a place called Wombridge. However it might be worth following up Ironbridge.
Thanks.
Mrsj

Offline graham gallagher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Guys of Shropshire
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 September 04 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm researching my Stanworth family line and can advise that Caroline Stanworth b1802 to Richard Stanworth and Elizabeth Amis later married a James Guy on 17 April 1837 in Shiffnal. Richard was from Wrockwardine and most of his children were born there or in the neighbouring village of Wombridge. Also, James Guy was fined 0n 9th October 1844 along with his brother-in-law Moses Stanworth for a breach of the peace in Shiffnal and were both identified as colliers from Oaken Gates. I obtained this info from a fellow stanworth researcher and could supply you with a scanned copy of the Quarter Sessions Record etc if you don't already have them in your records.

Regards

Graham

Offline Mrsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 October 04 20:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Graham
I have a feeling that you never received my reply!! So I am trying again.

I would love a copy of the quarter sessions record that you referred to. The e mail address is
Moderator Comment: Email Address Removed to avoid Spamming - use a Personal Message to contact this user
James Guy was actually mr husbands Gr. gr. grandfather and we know very little about his family.

Hope you receive this letter this time. Many thanks Judith 

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 04 11:45 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of GUY families on the 1881 census on the LDS site.  Here's the link http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp

Hope some of them turn out to be yours!!!

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline millee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 July 05 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello, James Guy and Caroline Stanworth were witnesses to my great x 3 grandparents ( James Millington and Mary Ann Holmes) marraige in 1836 at Shifnal. James and Caroline also lived 2 doors away from Mary Ann Holmes mother Elizabeth Holmes on the 1841 Census.

Offline Mrsj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 05 09:51 BST (UK) »
many thanks for message. James father ,William Guy, married Elizabeth Holmes in Feb. 1813. Any connection?
Judith Guy

Offline Red_Fred

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leonard Skinner and Mary Jane Dickenson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 February 09 00:43 GMT (UK) »
In 1864 (Wellington Reg. Dist) Thomas Guy born Lilleshall c. 1841 married Ann Fox born Preston upon the Weald Moors c. 1840

Several children born in Wrockwardine Wood.

Any connection ?

Malc
Shropshire - Fox, Davies, Jones, Hotchkiss, Downing, Pickering, Ratcliffe, Cooper, Hallgate, Tilley, Binnell, Owen, Egerton, Sandford, Hazelwood, Sadler
Nottingham - Skinner, Fox, Dickenson, Taylor, Clarke,
Newark - Clarke, Bilton
Newton par. Shelford - Skinner, Dickenson, Whyley, Wilson, Warren
Bethnal Green and Shoreditch - Dickenson
Denbighshire - Jones, Roberts
Lincolnshire - Tindall