Author Topic: Martha Mitten  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Mitten
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 January 14 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Do you know when the bible information was written?  It might make a difference whether the person writing it was going by oral family history alone, or not.

George and Martha Mitton appear to have had the following children:
George 1802 Wombridge*
Rebecca 1805 Wombridge
Martha 1809 Dawley
Philip 1811 Dawley
Mary 1812 Dawley

Wombridge isn't far from Dawley and the timing would fit with the marriage - but of course the first two aren't necessarily the same family.

I can't see a likely George or Martha Mitton in Shropshire in 1841 who would be the right age to be the parents of these children.  However there is a couple named John and Jane Mitton in Madeley, aged 74 and 73 respectively.  It might be worth exploring the possibility that George and Martha died fairly young - there don't seem to be any children born to them after 1812 - and that the children were brought up by John and Jane, who perhaps are relatives.  Looking at burials for Dawley or Madeley might be helpful.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kiwi249

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Mitten
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 January 14 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alberbury and Galium,

Thanks for the effort in putting this query to rest.

I did see the family bible many years ago and it was probably 19th century.
I have  copies of the original hand written entries and the very first entry states "Martha Mitten daughter of John and Jane Mitten was born Nov 12th 1810 married Benjamin Little who died Oct 11th 1865 aged 60yrs"

I suspect this entry was written before Martha's death in 1887 as it is not mentioned in the bible and she would have confirmed she is the daughter of John and Jane.

With this thought I will leave the entries as found in the bible and get on with my life.

Once again I must say how much I appreciate the effort and interest showing by you all.

Kind Regards

Ron

It is probably time to put this issue to bed and I will stick with the