Author Topic: BASKETT KINGSMAN  (Read 2700 times)

Offline docwatto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
BASKETT KINGSMAN
« on: Friday 20 January 06 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to trace the right relationship between Thomas Kingsman (or Kinsman) [1710-1752] and Samuel Baskett [1682-1760].

Thomas was Rector of St Pauls Cray and St Mary Woolwich.  In his will he left a minor bequest to the children of his "cousin" Samuel Baskett, and also to his "cousin" Roger Baskett "late an officer of the marines".

Samuel was Rector of Owermoyne in Dorset and also previously of Shapwick, Dorset.  I know that Samuel was married to Elizabeth Kingsman, and they had several children, one of whom was Kingsman Baskett (became headmaster of Pocklington School and taught William Wilberforce).  I do not know what the relationship between Elizabeth and Thomas Kingsman was.

I have also found that John Baskett (the printer) was contemporary with Thomas Kinsman (probably Thomas' father) - they were both members of the Whig club in London in 1713.  Also, the same John Baskett (or maybe his father John) was contemporary with a William Kingsman in 1693 (tax records) and both lived in Pater Noster by St Pauls.

I have not been able to find anything about Roger Baskett, the ex Marine officer, or establish if there is any relationship between Samuel and John Baskett, or if they both descended from the Baskett family who owned Dewlish House in Dorset in the early 1600s.

Any help, suggestions, guidance or information on sorting out these relationships would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Derrick Watson
Kingsman Watson Bridges Cox Saward Waterfield Beck Dutton Salisbury Thomas Astle Thyer

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BASKETT KINGSMAN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 08:29 GMT (UK) »
I have baskett's in winfrith c.1690, its not that far from owermoigne,john baskett who married rebecca dunning 1698.
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline docwatto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Chloed,

Do you know anything of John's parentage? 

The date you give for his marriage would make him contemporary with Samuel's father - Thomas Baskett - who was a grocer and an Alderman of Salisbury.

Derrick
Kingsman Watson Bridges Cox Saward Waterfield Beck Dutton Salisbury Thomas Astle Thyer

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 06 18:21 GMT (UK) »
derrick
just had a quick search and can only find baskets born around that time in winfrith, no other parish coming up, anthony and grace basket had 3 kids , edward  1681, jane 1678 , and one with no forename 1684, I dont know my john's parentage yet, but I only live 10 mins from dorset record office, let me know exactly what u want and i will ask the experts when i am up there, I know the microfilm is bad to read when u go back that far as i have given up on straining my eyes and intend to ask staff if i can see the original next time
regards chloe
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.