Author Topic: Richard Christian born Queens County about 1828  (Read 7210 times)

Offline timnpip

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Christian born Queens County about 1828
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 May 13 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara, well as you suggested I spent my 5Euros on Edward Christian birth certificate and did find Mary's maiden name was Wall.  Is Wall an Irish name ??  No other useful info.  Could not locate a marriage certificate for Richard Christian and Mary Wall.  Could not find a death certificate for Richard Snr. or Mary or Eliza or Thomas or Edward.  At some stage earlier I did seem to find a death certificate for an Eddie Christian in 1855 so he would have been 18 if it was him.  I found a Marriage certificate for an Edward Christian in County Antrim in 1864 which is a possibility.   There are 2 Thomas Christian who married in 1861 Kildare & 1864 Cork but who knows if they are related to Richard. There is an Eliza Christian married in 1863 in Kildare but again but who knows if they are related to Richard.

Any way what I was wondering is where you got the passenger information for Richard traveling from New York to Melbourne.  I have not searched passenger/ship lists before !  Any hints, please.

Again thanks & I hope all goes well for you in green Ireland.   Regards Tim

Offline timnpip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 May 13 08:43 BST (UK) »
oh dear, I was hoping Mary Wall would be an unusual name - I have found Mary Walls born in Dublin in 1805&6, and is Laois in 1797, 1801&2.  I don't think I can follow her line up the family tree - too many to search through !

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 May 13 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

The ship's records for Richard I got from the site ancestry.co.uk - they are a subscription site but they do a free 14 day trial with them too.

The problem that you are up against is that our civil records only began in 1864. Prior to that you are looking for church records and these are very far and few between. Most churches only have minimal burial or rememberance records.

We have been fairly lucky that the ones found for the Christian's in Laois appear to be good matches.

The thing is that we don't know where Richard Christian Senior and his wife originated. I think you said that your family stated that the story was that Mary Wall was from Wales - but going back to the late 1700's and early 1800's there are a shortage of records in Britain too. So looking for a marriage for Richard and Mary would be near on impossible.

Also, you stated that the family story was that Richard Junior was 'sent away' to see if Australia was suitable, and it would appear that it's possible that Richard Junior was also in America - so you are looking at 3 continents as possibilities for your Christian's living in after 1854 ish - ie Richard Senior could have stayed in Ireland - he could have gone to the US OR he could have also gone to Australia.

Sorry to sound negative, but it's going to take a LOT of work and good luck on your part to piece this all together. There's always the hope that someone with this family tree may see this and get in contact !!!

BTW - did the transcription of the baptism have any Godparents or an address on it ??

Tara

Offline timnpip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 May 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tara - it was very bare - no address, oddly no Denomination !!! no sponsors = Nothing !!

IFHF    
Church Baptism Record
Name:   Edward Christian   Date of Birth:   01-Oct-1837
        Date of Baptism:   
Address:      Parish/District:   Stradbally
      Denomination:   
Father:   Richard Christian   Mother:   Mary Wall
Sponsor 1 /
Informant 1:      Sponsor 2 /
Informant 2:   
Notes:

I will battle on but think this may be the end of the family line - still thanks to you I have  more on it than a week ago !

cheers tim

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 May 13 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim,

sometimes when a family weren't from the area it CAN happen that there are no Godparents listed - I have seen this happen before .....

as per PM ..... Best Of Luck !

Tara