Author Topic: Agnes McMahon in Aramac, Ipsiwch and Rockhampton, Queensland  (Read 18701 times)

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes McMahon in Aramac, Ipsiwch and Rockhampton, Queensland
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday 23 April 14 12:51 BST (UK) »
Now that would have been the easy option but they have made the journey difficult

Only Esme and Hewson mentioned as the children on the certificate.

Name as the QLD BDM indicates Maria Agnes Martin.
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Thursday 24 April 14 03:09 BST (UK) »
Only Esme and Hewson mentioned as the children on the certificate.

Agnes Maria's death certificate should have a column listing issue of the marriage [to George William MARTIN]  both living and deceased at the time of her death.  Only children of that marriage should be listed.  I certainly wouldn't expect to find illegitimate children listed.

Why are you still questioning the parentage of the illegitimate children born at Ipswich and Brisbane to Agnes McMAHON born 1880 Aramac, whose parents married at Aramac and this same Agnes married George MARTIN and whose daughter's marriage news report mentioned your grandmother?

Esme's wedding notice names her bridesmaids as Lorna SMITH & Gloria MCMAHON.
Perhaps they might be familiar to you?

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article122081103
Merlin

Lorna Smith is my grandmother!
cerberuscoins

And Ellen May SMITH nee McMAHON was the illegitimate dau of Agnes McMAHON born c1880 Aramac with parents Michael McMAHON and Ellen DWYER.  It's all on the thread.  Perhaps you should chart all the information :)

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Revolution

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Thursday 24 April 14 03:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando

I charted it yesterday and it all makes sense. I guess I was just hoping to see her other kids on there :-) but understand why they arent

Also her name changes - Agnes Maria McMahon, Marie Agnes McMahon (plus otherspelling variants) and Agnes McMahon.

While she was giving birth to her 4 children she altered her name with the first birth she was probably sent away to Brisbane by her family?

If Im looking for Vivian McMahons death notice is Trove the best place to do that?

Thanks
McGaveston - Dublin-Ireland, France, New Zealand
White - Shalden, Alton, Chawton-Hampshire
O'Donnell - New Zealand, Co Down-Northern Ireland, USA
Franklin/Fraenkel - New Zealand, Prussia
Day - Echuca, Tongala, London, Fairford-Gloucestershire
Clark/McGraw - New Zealand, Ireland, England
McMahon -Ipswich-QLD, Kiladysart-Co Clare
Smith - Ipswich, Pine Mountain, Redbank-QLD, Co Westmeath, Co Cavan-Ireland
McGuire - Redbank - QLD, Co Westmeath-Ireland
Culhane - Queensland, Ardlaghan - Co Limerick

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Thursday 24 April 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
Agnes may have been sent to Brisbane by her family for the first birth, however it's still possible that her future husband (George Martin) was the father of all the children. This is only conjecture, but the births are spaced every 2 years, in the normal pattern for the era. There may have been some reason for them not to marry until after the birth of Vivian.

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Thursday 24 April 14 08:49 BST (UK) »

If Im looking for Vivian McMahons death notice is Trove the best place to do that?

Thanks

That depends on where and when he died. Before 1955, Trove is a possibility. Because he has travelled the world, he may not have died in Australia. (Correct me if his death has already been located - this thread is quite long now)

Regards
Jennaya

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:06 BST (UK) »
Agnes may have been sent to Brisbane by her family for the first birth, however it's still possible that her future husband (George Martin) was the father of all the children. This is only conjecture, but the births are spaced every 2 years, in the normal pattern for the era. There may have been some reason for them not to marry until after the birth of Vivian.

Let's try and deal with facts.  We have no proof that George was the father of all the children.  They are not mentioned on Agnes Maria's death certificate and IF her husband was the father I would think they would be acknowledged as "their children" whether born before or after the marriage.

In 1899 Agnes McMAHON, 19, born Amarac was of Breakfast Creek not Ipswich when she certified in writing the information on the birth registration of  Kevin Hamilton McMAHON. In 1903 Agnes' father Michael and step mother, Agnes Mary were living in Gladstone.  There are some earlier rolls for Qld but I don't have access to them.  I referred to church homes for unmarried mothers in Ipswich earlier in the thread, perhaps these should be followed up.

Name does not change.  Maria Agnes was her registered given name on her birth and death notices however on the electoral rolls she chose to enrol as Agnes Maria. I would suggest that Agnes Monica was possibly a mistranscription.  I would suggest she chose to be known as Agnes.  It is not unusual to only see a parent's first given name on registrations and indexes.

I think you are waiting for a marriage cert for Ellen.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:14 BST (UK) »
This may be Vivian McMAHON on the 1958 Electoral Roll

McMAHON, Vivian, 81 Frederick St. Toowong. No occ
McMAHON, Lily as above HD

Sue

If this is Vivian he would have died after 1955 so his death would not be found on Trove. I have found this death for a Lily McMahon aged 77yrs in 1961.
https://online.brisbane.qld.gov.au/cemeteries/cemeteries_step2.jsp?surname=mcmahon&firstname=&cemtry_cd=&start_row=181

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Thursday 24 April 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
If this is Vivian he would have died after 1955 so his death would not be found on Trove. I have found this death for a Lily McMahon aged 77yrs in 1961.
https://online.brisbane.qld.gov.au/cemeteries/cemeteries_step2.jsp?surname=mcmahon&firstname=&cemtry_cd=&start_row=181

This is not her...

I gave her birth, 1st marriage & death details back in reply #40 perhaps you should read them.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684549.msg5289030#msg5289030

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Thursday 24 April 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
Sorry Merlin, I did read back through previous posts, but obviously missed it. I will be much more careful in future.