Author Topic: Mystery of the Grieving Patton Heiress  (Read 58693 times)

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery of the Grieving Patton Heiress
« Reply #243 on: Friday 11 July 08 11:27 BST (UK) »
HI karenlee. Thanks for the offer!! I have no basis to judge it and  not know what others lie out there to compare it with. So I do not know what to say.  Wait a couple of days until I have had a chance to pursue the Dalbeth connection. I am off to the  doc now- nothing serious . Best wishes L-J
Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Friday 11 July 08 11:42 BST (UK) »

L-J

I couldn't help myself and I checked the Ayrshire Mary....... not her either.  I think we need to see what the Refuge etc records show.... but I wonder if we are going to get much further.... or be really sure ever, that we have the right Mary.

Regardless, I believe we do....... and it's been one h**l of a journey.  One I wouldn't have missed for quids.

When we finish this one........ who's next? ;D ;D ;D

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobbieHL

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Monday 14 July 08 18:42 BST (UK) »
The Mary Gilchrist you are discussing - she was born 1847 in Bothwell, Lanarkshire to Alexander Gilchrist and Janet Howieson who married 1845 in Airdrie. Mary married George Ness Dec 31st 1874 Auchinleck, Ayrshire - he died 1877. Mary remarried 31st Dec 1880 to David Hill in Auchinleck. Mary was a mill weaver and she died Nov 1915 in Kilmarnock. The 1881 census entry in Kilmarnock shows Mary & David with his 4 children from his first marriage. 1891 census has Mary and David living without children, again in Kilmarnock.
I am related through the Howieson line.

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 03:41 BST (UK) »

Thanks RobbieHL

Oh well, back to the beginning again L-J.

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lumber-Jack

• RootsChat Senior
  • Old Josiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 06:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much RobbieHL for stopping me "barking up the wrong tree" for probably a long time! Though my faith that we had the right Mary was beginning to be shaken as the "Baillieston Mums" got too scarce and very old! And forgive me for attempting to assign to your ancestry a lady of such unfortunate circumstances.

I now have to regroup...though most will be somewhat jaded with this search by now!

Assuming that she told the truth to the Inspector, here is what I know about our Mary:

She is named Mary Gilchrist (or Ghildchrist), a former domestic servant and mother of an illegitimate son Henry (Hendrey) who was born at 5.30 am on  Wednesday,15 May 1878 at 3 Taylor’s Close in  the Middle Parish of Greenock, Renfrew County, Scotland.

In the 1881 Census of Scotland, Mary Gilchrist is listed as being in the Greenock House of Refuge, 9 Upper Ingleston, Back of Land, Greenock; born in Holytown, aged 25, a washer. But I also have 1881 Census Scotland ,Renfrewshire Greenock East ED24/ Reg # 564/2 House of Refuge GILCHRIST Mary 32 Washer born Hollytown! Which one is right or are there two? The first matches the age of our Mary.

In the 1891 Census Scotland Lanarkshire Barony Reg # 622/2 Roll CSSCT1891/222
Convent of the Good Shepherd, Refuge or Home of the Good Shepherd and Reformatory School for Girls
Dalbeth London Road - Glasgow a GILCHRIST Mary aged 40  is listed as Inmate of the Refuge born Bothwell Lanarkshire. This one matches the age of the second Mary above and not ours.

In the 1901 Census Scotland Lanarkshire Govan Reg # 646/3  Roll CSSCT1901/332 Royal Asylum Gartnavel Glasgow, a GILCHRIST Mary 48 born Lanark, is a Patient but is not a good age match for any of the above.

From the Quarrier Archive Records:

On 30 January 1882 Mary was 27 years old and had been in trouble for 5 years.
Henry who would be 4 on the 15 May 1882 had stayed for a short time with Mary's mother who lived in Rankine's Land (Raukine's Laud or Lane), Baillieston
Mary's father died many years ago.
Mary had moved with Henry to Greenock to stay with Mrs Fullarton, 6 Darymple Street, and three other girls in a house of dubious repute.
Mary was being abused allegedly by Mrs Fullarton and had sheltered in a House of Refuge ( presumably the Greenock House of Refuge in 1881 as per the census), but was induced to return to her sad life.

On 21 Nov 1891  a letter to Quarriers from  the Matron of Greenock House of Refuge asking about Henry states that the mother ( Mary) is there at present and that some time ago she was in Dalbeth Refuge.

In June of 1914 June,  Mc(???) Berry,  of Mayfield High Township Nr Greenock writes  to Quarriers about Henry and his mother (Mary) is said to be in Dalbeth ( Refuge).

There is a Langloan Rankines Land, Old Monkland Middle District Lanarkshire; also a Rankine's Land address in Stirlingshire.

The 1881 Census of Scotland has Elizabeth Fullarton living  at 6 Dalrymple St, Greenock,  a widow, aged 52, employed as a 'broker'. In the same house are a daughter, niece and two female servants.

In theory, Mary Gilchrist was born circa 1855 to a Gilchrist family living in , or near Baillieston. Her mother was still living there in 1882 and so is likely to have been there in the 1881 census. There is also an outside chance that Mary's father's name was named Henry given Scottish naming tradition. So a marriage of a Henry Gilchrist say 1840-1855 and a birth of  Henry Gilchrist say 1820 in the same vicinity might be interesting. Mary likely died after 1914 after living in and out of several Refuges including Dalbeth.

So that is all we know so far!

RobbieHL, does any of this ring any old Gilchrist bells from your research?

I think some of the Archive material from the Refuges if it still exists could help. She could well be buried at Dalbeth ( St Peter's new cemetary?).

Best wishes, Lumber-Jack

Cook, Coggins, Rutherford, Wheatley - Northumberland, Cumberland, Scotland, Australia
Baker, Tayler-  Sussex

Offline Rhaysha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Sunday 27 January 13 11:07 GMT (UK) »

Okay

Think I have it sorted now....

Janet HOWIESON baptised 30 Sept 1821 Bothkennar Stirlingshire to Father William and Mother Elizabeth JENKINS.

This is Janet GILCHRIST....... Mary is most likely her niece rather than her half sister.......  Alexander HOWIESON is Janet's brother and Mary's father.

That make far more sense......

So ignore the Janet born to Alexander and Jane NISBETT......... that was wrong.  Turns out he is Janet's uncle....brother of her father William.

Let's see where William and Elizabeth HOWIESON are in the census.

Karenlee

I know that this is an old thread, but Alexander Howieson and Isabella Brown/Broun are my ancestors. If you are still working on this I'd love to hear from you. I do have some "stuff" on them myself that I would be only too happy to share.
Angie
"Tarona"

Offline Carpian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Saturday 18 October 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi folks, I got up to find more great information on my computer thanks to you all. I too have a bead on a person on GenesReunited who may be able to help and I will try to plug some more of our info in today. Janet, bless her , lived a long time so her death does not eliminate any of the 4 candidate wills....I will wait a little longer before spending money to buy credits to view them. The newspapers may be a good move which I will have to follow up on. I think that John and Janet are buried in the Auld Kirk cemetery in Ramsey Ontario ( along with many other pioneer Scots settlers) and there is a reference book ISBN978-1-894008-39-6 by the Lanark Genealogical Society which has completely catalogued this cemetery which should confirm this when I can get my hands on a copy. I am surprised that there has not been a major piece of genealogical research on the Paton's of Tilicoutry/Alloa as they were such an important industrialist family of the time. I have to go to work now but will be hot on the trail later! Best wishes, Lumber-Jack

Greetings from the Carp Valley
  I have not read all the threads of this post, but what caught my attention was the mention of the Auld Kirk Cemetery, Since I wrote a book on this very cemetery I can answer almost any question on it. Right now I can tell you there are no Patton/Paton buired in the cemetery. So what is the surname of John and Janet ?